VBAC
Options

i'm back, and hopefully to stay (long..)

When finding out we were expecting DC#2, I knew from then I wanted to try for a VBAC. Especially since we might be done with 2 children. I posted on here a few times, to get information, and I lurked alot. Within the past few months, we've been up & down! Between finding out of a heart defect with DD (we found out the sex!) and possible IUGR, it's been crazy. And my hopes of having a VBAC went down the tubes.... We were possibly going to have to deliver her early via c-section due to placenta problems (possible). But just today, we found out all is well and she has GROWN! We'll be able to keep her in there, with no early intervention. Thank goodness!
So, now I'm back on board for VBAC. And I want to get all my information down so I'm ready and prepared!

First, does anyone have any book recommendations for me? I'd like to do some reading on VBAC/natural birth!

Now, How long will they let me go past my due date? Just a side note: the baby is measuring 2 weeks behind, but my perinatologist isn't concerned with 2 weeks.
Do I demand to let me go to 42 weeks without induction? Or do I have to go by doctor's/hospital's "rules"?

What do you recommend for bringing labor on yourself?

I think my last question is about pain relief. I do not want an epidural due to wanting to be able to try different positions for pushing, etc. But, is there anything else for pain relief that won't hinder getting up and moving around? (Please don't flame..)

If there is anything else I should know / prepare myself for / ask my doctor, please tell me!
*Off to lurk the board / google VBAC!*

Thank you ladies.

Re: i'm back, and hopefully to stay (long..)

• Options

Your pain relief options will vary by hospital. Some are starting to offer laughing gas now, but it's still not common in the States. You can get shots of narcotics (Stadol, morphine, etc.) which don't last very long but can give you a boost if you need it. They might also make you feel loopy, and they don't like to give them later on in labor though as they can affect the baby. There is also a "walking epidural", though experiences vary. Many women say they still aren't able to walk, despite the name. I was able to walk around as normal, though, with mine. It's a gamble, I guess.

Good luck with your VBAC and congrats on your DD's good health! :)

• Options

First, does anyone have any book recommendations for me? I'd like to do some reading on VBAC/natural birth!

Silent Knife-Nancy Wainer, Ina May's Gaskin's "Guide to Childbirth" and Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" 

Now, How long will they let me go past my due date? Just a side note: the baby is measuring 2 weeks behind, but my perinatologist isn't concerned with 2 weeks.
    Do I demand to let me go to 42 weeks without induction? Or do I have to go by doctor's/hospital's "rules"?

OBs don't usually let you post dates, but I am not sure because I always use a midwife

What do you recommend for bringing labor on yourself?

sex worked for me

I think my last question is about pain relief. I do not want an epidural due to wanting to be able to try different positions for pushing, etc. But, is there anything else for pain relief that won't hinder getting up and moving around? (Please don't flame..)

If you could get in the water that would be helpful, just get in any position that gives you some relief As far as drugs for relief I am not sure, never had any to ask for.

If there is anything else I should know / prepare myself for / ask my doctor, please tell me!

I would read as much info as possible on the web, there is some great stuff out there!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Different OBs and hospitals have different guidelines about how late you can go. It can be anything from 39 to 42 weeks depending on your provider and your specific situation. As I understand it, you can't really demand they do something, but you can refuse to have something done.
  • Options

Wow, I can't imagine how stressful the last few months have been for you.  So glad things are looking up!  

I'm not yet PG, but I plan to do a whole lot more to bring on labor next time around.  Accupressure, Accupuncture, visits to the chiropractor for better alignment, silent meditation and visualization, lots of walking, sex, spicy foods, sleeping sitting up, warm baths, etc, etc, etc.  You name it, I will try it. 

I plan to find a doctor who will let me go to 42 weeks.  I appear to be a long gestator (DD was forcibly removed at 42weeks1day), so my guess is that I will need the extra time.

As for drugs, once they gave me something, I was told I had to remain in bed.  And it was a good thing, because the pain killers (I think it was the epi) caused me to pass out.  I had Stadol and then the epidural later.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"