Upstate NY Babies

Gardeners....what veggies are you growing this year?

I got our garden all in finally, just a little late! I have 2 tomato plants, 3 green/red pepper plants, 9 sweet potatoes, and carrots from seed. I am hoping dh brings me home zucchini and cukes for planting this weekend! R is finally eating veggies in their original form (not in the squeezy), so excited to garden with him!

I have never done sweet potatoes....I have no idea how they will grow!  I wanted to go bigger this year but just never got it done.....I would love to do strawberries, broccoli, peas, beans, spinach, and other greens too! Although I am not sure what soil everything needs and have no desire to test and prep it!

Re: Gardeners....what veggies are you growing this year?

• We kept the garden small this year since neither of us have much time to garden. We did 6 zucchini, 6 cucumber, 6 broccoli, a 7 foot row of spinach, roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. I also have 3 pots of basil and 1 of oregano.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would love to have a garden... but I have a black thumb, and hate to garden... so not a good combination! But the thought of fresh, free produce in my backyard sounds so good!

My neighbor directly behind us (who's 93) has a gorgeous veggie garden, and he gives me tons of stuff since he doesn't eat it all. Tomatoes (cherry and heirloom), yellow and green squash, green onions, garlic, cucumber, spinach, carrots, sweet and hot peppers. Plus his whole back fence has grape vines (concord) and an apple and pear tree. The pear tree is right on the back of his property, so when they are ready he tells me to just pick as many as we can eat, along w/ the grapes... although he doesn't think they are going to do well this year for some reason.

I do have some herbs in potted plants... basil (which is growing like crazy), parsley and oregano. 

• Loading the player...
  • This is my first year!  Growing zucchini, peppers, tomatoes (3 kinds), basil, pumpkins and strawberries.  I would LOVE to grow sweet potatoes.  Let us know how it goes!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • We expanded this year.  We planted tomatoes (roma, beef steak and cherry), peppers (jalapenos, habaneros, cayenne, cubanelles, poblanos and yellow bell), cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkins, carrots, eggplant, kale, lettuce, scallions, strawberries, watermelon, green beans and a bunch of different herbs.  We also had pea plants that were doing really well until the d@mn groundhogs got to them.

I've never tried growing potatoes- can't wait to hear how it goes! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"