TTC After a Loss

For those of you who use Progesterone Supplements

So I recently miscarried this past weekend and my doctor told me too call asap if I had any spotting, in which I did. But she told me my levels were already way to low and that they probably would not help and just put off the bleeding for a few days. But I have really been looking into Progesterone and really want to talk to my doctor about trying it when we start TTC again. I just had a few questions about it......Do any of you start taking in right after you O? 4 out of my 5 miscarriages have been missed miscarriages & I think in order for it to help I would need to start taking in asap. I feel like this could be the cause of my miscarriages because I feel like my levels do not rise in order to keep the pregnancy moving but I have read in several places where they say they have not found that it keeps you from miscarrying but many believe it can. Please give me any information you know about it that may help.
8 early m/c 1 IUI ended up in m/c Currently doing IVF/ICIS/PGS TESTING ER 2-10-13 (18retrieved,13fertilized, 11embryos, and 6 made it to day 5) FET in March 2013 if any are normal from PGS testing ?

Re: For those of you who use Progesterone Supplements

• I'm sorry for you losses and I don't have any answers for you but I've been wondering about taking progesterone too so I'm interested in any responses you get.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB has me starting it 4 days after O. I have had 2 losses this year and this is my first cycle taking progesterone. I am having some pretty intense side effects ( I posted below) but it seems that I am in the minority...which is what I was afraid of. It was my OB's idea and I'm not sure I really have an issue with progesterone levels so that may be why I experiencing intense side effects. Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • Great question! I am wondering the same thing. I am going to start them with my next pregnancy but not until I get a positive test. Good luck!
  • naflmjnaflmj member

Typically you take them 3dpo until 16dpo if you test negative and if you get a BFP you continue for 10-12 weeks.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• imagenaflmj:

Typically you take them 3dpo until 16dpo if you test negative and if you get a BFP you continue for 10-12 weeks.

this is what I do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP #1 3/29/10, natural m/c 4/19/10 at 8 weeks BFP# 2 3/3/11, missed m/c discovered 4/12/11, D&C 4/15/11 at 10 weeks
  • imagePaisley9509:
    imagenaflmj:

this is what I do.

This is typically what is reccomeneded. Normally they do a CD21 blood test (7dpo) to test for progesterone. I have a progesterone prescription to get filled only once I get my BFP.  My OB gave it without the blood test saying that there is no evidence to support that it helps but some say it can prevent a m/c. When I was talking to my naturopath, she stated that they can increase progesertone naturally using acupuncture. At this point, I am game for anything.

• I am still figuring this out as well, but have had some conversation with my RE about it.  One of the tests he wanted to run was my CD21 progesterone levels (theoretically 7 DPO) to see if it was at a level that could produce a sufficient uterine lining.  If it came back low, he said I would be put on the supplements prior to O, for each cycle, though I don't know specific timing yet. 

FWIW, my RE seems pretty convinced that low prog = thin lining = m/c but I have also read various opinions on this.

• MrsJCMrsJC member
    My OB is putting me on progesterone when we start TTC again.  She said that it can help support the pregnancy and that I'd take it for the first 12 weeks.  That's pretty much all I know about it, though.
    BFP #1 1/27/11, EDD 10/7/11, D&C 3/29/11 @ 12w4d
    BFP #2 5/19/11, EDD 1/20/12, Natural miscarriage 6/2/11 @ 6w6d
    Dx 2 copies of MTHFR reductase DNA mutation (C677T & A1298C) June 2011
  • I did progesterone suppositories when I was pg.  My progesterone levels were 6.4 at 6 weeks.  The suppositories kept the pregnancy viable and I ultimately had a missed m/c at 12 weeks.  My doc said that most likely the pregnancy had problems from the beginning and that the progesterone just delayed the inevitable.  It's a question of what comes first, the chicken or the egg. 

Low progesterone can be caused by a hormone problem/imbalance with the mother or a bad pregnancy. 

It's a tough question that would require some sort of testing.  I will be curious to hear the rest of the boards comments. 

• This past pregnancy (that is now ending) I took prometrium 200mg 2xday vaginally starting at 10dpo.  My baby grew to about 5 weeks and no more (as seen by u/s at 7w2d).  In this case, it may have helped a bit, but in the end was really just prolonging the inevitable miscarriage.  I haven't even started spotting or cramping yet, though there may still be progesterone in my system...I took the last dose before my appt Tuesday morning.

My doctor said that when we start trying again, I'll take 200mg 1xday from ovulation and then start 2xday when I get a positive HPT.  Will probably be taking baby asprin and 4mg folic acid as well, but we'll see how my test results come back.

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • I was told to start taking Crinone after I O... altho my dr, if you could call her that likes to leave out details... if not for talking to other friends i would have no way of knowing when to start taking it... they were all told by their RE to take it 3 days after O... so in July thats when i will start...

• I take 200mg of progesterone orally twice daily after O.

I had my CD21 progesterone tested once with a regular cycle and it was bad = 7.

Then I had it tested with a Clomid cycle and it was horrible = 3.

My progesterone draw when I was PG was outstanding (I did sustain a pregnancy for 8w, but it was a blighted ovum) and last month when I had a bust cycle it was 48.4, which is very good.

If you're not making enough progesterone to even get a good pregnancy started, supplements can help your body hold a pregnancy.

I think my first PG loss was due to low progesterone because I had quite a bit of bleeding before a BFP but I will never know for sure.

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"