Multiples

NICU schedule--keep it or ditch it?

Last night was my first night with Summer, who has been in the NICU for 21 days. They have her on the 3-hr schedule, 8, 11, 2, 5 and I tried to follow that, but it seemed like she was waking up an hour before each feeding time and groaning, grunting, whining, etc. I want to eventually EBF both girls, so I'm wondering if I should just ditch the NICU schedule and start trying to feed on cue? Or should I just make her wait until the feeding times even if she is being noisy and not really sleeping?

How did you manage your NICU babies' schedules once they came home? This is so complicated because I'm also still trying to pump every 2-3 hours to make enough milk to bring to Emsley, who is still in the NICU. Scheduling overload!

Re: NICU schedule--keep it or ditch it?

• I felt the same way. They were one the same 3 hr schedule and it was pretty tough when they got home. The first week or so we were on the same NICU schedule because that was just what they were used to. We didn't wake them up to eat...they had no problem waking us up to let us know. lol Eventually, they got on their own schedule. the pumping was difficult too for me. I tried to keep up and then my supply eventually dried out. I know it's hard.

MY FOUR ANGELS... M/C 12/26/02 AT 4 WEEKS M/C 12/31/07 AT 12 WEEKS, D & C M/C 12/5/08 AT 9 WEEKS, D & C ***BFP ON 3/26/09*** MARY REYNA BORN AND PASSED AWAY JULY 31ST, 2009 AT 23 WEEKS. GOODBYE SWEET BABY...I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER. ***AFTER 17 WEEKS ON BEDREST*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats on getting her home!

We tried to keep our girls on the same NICU schedule at first...but then adapted it to what worked best for us.  If Summer is just grunting maybe she would be satisfied with some cuddle time?  The only problem with shortening her feeding schedule to two hours instead of three is you will not get much of a break once both babies are home.  Keeping them on a three hour schedule if possible would be helpful to you in the long run I think.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • ppantsppants member

Both of mine came home the same day, but we kept the NICU schedule.  It worked well and they seemed hungry around the same time, but sometimes it would take them F-O-R-E-V-E-R to drink a bottle so it the 3 hrs came around faster.  I too was trying to EBF and gave up 6 w pp.  Good luck! 

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • We kept to the 3 hour schedule. It worked really well for us. It's normal for her to make those noises. She will cry if she is hungry.

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Only my son ended up in the NICU while his sister was in the high risk nursery.  But I ditched that schedule as soon as I got home.  I fed them when they woke up and I fed them both at the same time.  It worked well for all of us.
  • I just fed them on demand once they were home.  If you want to EBF that is the best you can do for your supply.  It did mean that I was feeding the boys very often though.  When one woke up to be fed, I just fed the other.  

I did have one baby that was a cluster feeder in the evening.  He always wanted to be fed from about 6pm - 11pm, but he would get a nice long stretch of sleep after that.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We kept the schedule and it worked amazing for us! There were some rough days but Ella had to keep to the every 3 schedule for medical reasons with her heart so we just kept both on it. Anytime we make adjustments (just so they sleep longer at night) I was so engrained (?) in the schedule it was hard for us to make a switch but it worked well for us.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We had to see the pedi a few days after discharge, so we maintained the NICU schedule until we saw the pedi. After that we went with his suggestions. It wasn't long before we were feeding on demand.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I stuck with the NICU schedule of feeding every 3 hours and changing diapers at the same time for nearly 8 weeks or so.  I pumped after all but one or two feedings per day. 

Just this last week we started feeding on queue because they stopped tolerating eating at that pace.  Now it is anywhere from 3 hours to 5 1/2 hours.  I am only just now getting comfortable with flying schedule free.

I really liked the NICU schedule because it gave me peace of mind.  I knew when they were going to eat, how much they were going to take, and that they were not going hungry.  Mostly, those reasons are selfish and all about my sanity.  It also helped me communicate their eating schedules with DH.  But DH, who got up for almost every feeding in the night with us, really disliked this schedule, and he is happy that it is over.

Oh, and the grunting and groaning?  If you ask about it the next time you are at the NICU, they will tell you that it is just a preemie thing.  It might not be a sign that they are hungry.  It is really hard to adjust to at first, though.

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • I should add that the reason we stuck with the schedule for so long was that the pedi told us never to let them go more than 3 hours in between feedings.  Ugh. 
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Mine were in the NICU for 12 and 19 days.  We decided to feed, etc on demand.  They stuck to their NICU schedule on their own and dropped the night feedings.  They go down at around 9p, get up at around 3a and back to bed til 8a.  They still nap on schedule during the day as well.  I can live with that and they crave a schedule.  When they get off, its mass chaos.  It works really well for us, but everyone is different.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I couldn't image not sticking with the schedule.  My life would have been chaos! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • I followed more of a Babywise approach where minimally they are eating every 3 hours, but if they are hungry earlier you feed them earlier.  Are they ready to take a little more in each bottle?  Or maybe she's not hungry, just awake and ready to be snuggled?  Or gas?  It may take a little while to figure out their hunger cues/cries, but once you do it makes things a lot simpler.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"