VBAC
Options

How late would you go if trying a VBAC?

mama31mama31 member
I was watching a Baby Story the the other day.  The lady was at 42 weeks and 2 days and the dr. wanted her to be induced.  She didn't want to and wanted to wait until at least 44 weeks because she said her body and the baby were not ready.  She ended up going on her own the morning she was to be induced.  I just thought it was weird that someone would want to wait until 44 weeks.  Would a doctor allow a person to go up until 44 weeks if trying a vbac? I am not sure how old the episode was. FWIW I am going to try a VBAC, but I wouldn't go past 42 weeks.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How late would you go if trying a VBAC?

• Options
    Most hospitals these days try to induce everyone by 42 weeks.  My hospital would not let me go beyond 41 weeks for a VBAC.  I was induced at 41 weeks as a result.  Had the hospital not had that rule, I would have wanted to go as long as it took until I went into labor naturally or if it seemed that the baby was no longer tolerating the womb for some reason.  I went into labor with my DS at 41 weeks 2 days, so I'd imagine I was pretty close to labor with DD if they hadn't required the induction (which worked).  Back in the day, they let you go as long as it took.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

I actually DVRed that episode so I just checked the original air date:  9/2007.

44 weeks seems like such a long time, especially when the "magic number" is 42 weeks, but I suppose if mine and the baby's health was not at risk, I'd consider going past 42 weeks.

Unfortunately, 42 weeks may not even be an option for me, as I have GD.  My doctor is considering allowing me to go to 41 weeks and I'm very satisfied with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jb&JbJb&Jb member
    my doctor was ok with me going to 42w and i even had GD.  i vbac'ed at 40w3d
  • Options

I don't think most people in a hospital would have that choice.  I went to 42wks 1dy, but they had started the induction 3 days prior.  I absolutely could have gone longer.  I felt fantastic, the baby was doing great and I didn't mind being pregnant.

I didn't go longer because I was listening to medical advice.  After my failed induction and c-section, a little of the shine has worn off of traditional medicine for me.  But, I still would be nervous.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't go past 42 weeks. 

imageJb&Jb:

Your signature saying you are 66+ weeks pregnant might need an update. ;)

• Options
    I'd go 42+ with NSTs because that's the only way that my OB would let me go past 42.  I don't know where I'd draw the line.  Surely, a baby wouldn't just NOT come out, right?
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelorryfach:

I wouldn't go past 42 weeks. 

imageJb&Jb:

Your signature saying you are 66+ weeks pregnant might need an update. ;)

haha.  I might consider 44, but I definitely would not go 66 weeks.  VBACing a 15lb baby  - no thanks : - )

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think I would go past 41 weeks. For a VBAC. If it was first time birth, I might have gone till 42. But I don't think the hospital will even let me go past 41 weeks with a VBAC, without a fight.

But then I am a bit of a nervous nelly! 

My mom was over 3 weeks overdue with my sister. She was kind of big- 9.6 and she was purple toned and had meconium. Nothing terrible happened, but it appeared she was legitamately late. 

But then I have heard that when just late, babies will be bigger. When they are too late, they will actually start to be smaller, unhealthy....they can't thrive. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJaysonandKristin:
    I'd go 42+ with NSTs because that's the only way that my OB would let me go past 42.  I don't know where I'd draw the line.  Surely, a baby wouldn't just NOT come out, right?

Actually, it's possible. If the fetus dies and the mother doesn't go into labor and doesn't seek medical treatment, it could just NOT come out. If it doesn't eventually kill you, it could calcify and you could be in the news. Obviously that's pretty rare, since most fetuses don't die, most women do go into labor before 42 weeks, and most people get medical treatment (like those NSTs) which prevents that sort of thing.

• Options

I had forgotten about that! - https://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/03/04/4380061-the-curious-case-of-the-stone-baby

But I wonder if that has actually ever happened in the uterus? Now I really do wonder! It all sounds like these are different typs of ectopic pregnancies. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I would like to think I would go past 42 weeks, but with DD I was done.  At 38 weeks I practically begged for induction.  He said I was too healthy and had to wait until 39 weeks, hospital rule.  In my defense though, I had been 3 cm dilated for weeks. Was having crazy amount of contractions, but not in labor.   I did love being pregnant, and it wasnt so much the discomfort, but everyone's comments were getting on my nerves.
  • Options

For my VBAC, my current limit is 41.5 weeks.  I want to go past the day I delivered with DS (41 weeks, 1 day), but I don't feel comfortable going much further than that. 

If I weren't VBACing, then I would be fine going to 42 weeks (knowing what I know now).

This woman's dates had to have been off.  I would never in a million years feel comfortable going to 44 weeks.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LLB430LLB430 member

Not pregnant yet but hoping to have a vbac if we have another one. My plan is to hope to go into labor before a scheduled c-section.  I won't go past my scheduled section because I would never forgive myself if something happened to the baby during that time.  I personally know somebody who had a horrific outcome and   it is a little to close to home for me to put out of my mind.

My mom was 3 weeks late with my sister 28 years ago and they actually told her she was lucky to have a live baby as her placenta was starting to calcify.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"