September 2011 Moms
Options

Day 35 of 100

Heeeellllooooo!

Despite the cheerful sound of that greeting, I am grumpy this morning. Had to get up at 5 to do annoying grad class homework that is due today, that I was too tired to do last night. Oh well. 5 more weeks and then my master's degree is DONE.

I had a revelation yesterday: I CAN SWIM. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but even with this ridiculous sorry excuse for a functioning left foot, I can still swim! And I have a gym membership with pool access, and a maternity swimsuit. Duh!

So yesterday I swam 30 minutes. Felt SO GOOD. That's going to be my new activity until I get things with the foot figured out. Got an appointment with an orthopedist on Monday.

Who's next? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Day 35 of 100

• Options
    DH and I walked 45 minutes last night, yes it was to go and get ice cream, which was yummy, but I still exercised, right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did nada. But, I finally feel normal again from all the heat exposure this weekend. I am definitely not spending another day in the 100 degree heat while pregnant, you can find me inside in the a/c with a cold glass of water. I was able to get about 9 hours of sleep too, minus 4 bathroom breaks.

Tonight I will do my long workout and laundry. I so wish I had a pool like you ladies, I would be in it every day!

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Today, I am taking a break.  We have childbirthing class from 6:30 to 9:30, so I will probably nap beforehand to try and make up for the sleep I will be miss (I get up at 3:15AM).

Yesterday, I walked 3 miles.  I would have gone for a forth, but I drank all  the water I had (32 oz), so it was time to quit.  It's HOT here.

• Options
    elyndselynds member

imagejakstr0808:

Swimming is great, like michelle said, so yay for that revelation for you! I have a question for you swimmers though.....when you "swim for half an hour" are you actively swimming that whole time, like laps or treading water, or just spending that much time moving around the pool, like even if it's just walking around the shallow end? Just curious.
    !

I swim almost daily - and I swim 40 laps to count as my workout (in my pool it's a little more than half a mile) and that takes about half an hour.  If I'm tired or not feeling well, I swim 20 laps and just float around and stretch for a while. 

As a side note to all swimmers, be SURE to drink your water while you swim.  You don't feel as dehydrated since you're wet, but if you're swimming hard you really need to keep drinking!

• Options
    KatKanKatKan member

Hi girls!  I agree- I would love to be able to swim right now!  I'm taking a beach vacation later this summer that also has a pond that is great for swimming so I'm looking foward to that.

Yesterday I was on my feet all day for work and spent some time playing outside with my dog so I'm counting that.  Today I did a 3 mile run.  DH stuck with me for the first half which as nice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageelynds:

imagejakstr0808:

Swimming is great, like michelle said, so yay for that revelation for you! I have a question for you swimmers though.....when you "swim for half an hour" are you actively swimming that whole time, like laps or treading water, or just spending that much time moving around the pool, like even if it's just walking around the shallow end? Just curious.
    !

I swim almost daily - and I swim 40 laps to count as my workout (in my pool it's a little more than half a mile) and that takes about half an hour.  If I'm tired or not feeling well, I swim 20 laps and just float around and stretch for a while. 

As a side note to all swimmers, be SURE to drink your water while you swim.  You don't feel as dehydrated since you're wet, but if you're swimming hard you really need to keep drinking!

I discovered pretty quickly yesterday that I do not have the swimming endurance to just swim laps for 30 minutes. One "down and back" in the pool and I was huffing and puffing! Amazing how different activities affect us differently - if I weren't pregnant and up 30 lbs, and my foot wasn't so sore, I could go run 10 miles right now...but can't swim more than a few laps. Stick out tongue So I developed a little rhythm in which I did a crawl stroke going down one length of the pool, then flipped over onto my back and just kicked my way back down the other side. Then I walked with my hands on my hips all the way down, and then got down in a kind of lunge position to walk back. And repeat. It worked pretty well - each repetition of that pattern took me between 4 and 5 minutes with a little bit of rest to catch my breath.

Elynds - I am in awe that you can swim 40 laps! I would love to build up that kind of swimming endurance. I really want to do a triathlon someday, and the swim is the intimidating part for me. 

• Options
    elyndselynds member
    imageheateacher:
    imageelynds:

imagejakstr0808:

!

I discovered pretty quickly yesterday that I do not have the swimming endurance to just swim laps for 30 minutes. One "down and back" in the pool and I was huffing and puffing! Amazing how different activities affect us differently - if I weren't pregnant and up 30 lbs, and my foot wasn't so sore, I could go run 10 miles right now...but can't swim more than a few laps. Stick out tongue So I developed a little rhythm in which I did a crawl stroke going down one length of the pool, then flipped over onto my back and just kicked my way back down the other side. Then I walked with my hands on my hips all the way down, and then got down in a kind of lunge position to walk back. And repeat. It worked pretty well - each repetition of that pattern took me between 4 and 5 minutes with a little bit of rest to catch my breath.

Elynds - I am in awe that you can swim 40 laps! I would love to build up that kind of swimming endurance. I really want to do a triathlon someday, and the swim is the intimidating part for me. 

Thanks!  Every summer I have to build back up, but I start with 20 and add 5 a day until I'm where I want to be.  It's kind of sad though, I used to be able to get up to 60 or so, no problem, but pregnant 40 is about my limit.  It's funny though, I can't run to save my life!  I did a couch to 5k a few years ago and while I finished it, it just NEVER got any easier for me.  I have thought about doing a triathlon too, but the running is what keeps me from it :).

• Options
    imageelynds:

Thanks!  Every summer I have to build back up, but I start with 20 and add 5 a day until I'm where I want to be.  It's kind of sad though, I used to be able to get up to 60 or so, no problem, but pregnant 40 is about my limit.  It's funny though, I can't run to save my life!  I did a couch to 5k a few years ago and while I finished it, it just NEVER got any easier for me.  I have thought about doing a triathlon too, but the running is what keeps me from it :).

Well then we should hook up next summer! I'll run, you swim, and we can ride a bicycle built for two! Stick out tongue 

• Options
    elyndselynds member
    imageheateacher:
    imageelynds:
    imageheateacher:
    imageelynds:

imagejakstr0808:

!

Well then we should hook up next summer! I'll run, you swim, and we can ride a bicycle built for two! Stick out tongue 

Haha, perfect!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"