September 2011 Moms
Options

Swing -- Worth it? And Rec's from experienced Moms?

Hello all!

I've been hemming and hawing about if I want to go ahead and put a swing on our registry... I've heard mixed things -- some people say they're a lifesaver, others say it wasn't really worth it.

So I'm interested in the opinions of all the experienced Moms out there! -- Do you think getting a swing is worth it?  Any advice/opinions appreciated!

If so -- Does anyone know of a good one that doesn't take up too much space? Our apartment we're in right now is a 2 bedroom, but it's not a large one...there's limited space in our living room...so either one that is small, or at least one that can fold up easily and be stored away, would definitely be preferred. 

TIA!

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image

Re: Swing -- Worth it? And Rec's from experienced Moms?

• Options
    That's really hard...unfortunately every baby is different and like/dislike different things. Our son loved the swing and I'm glad I have it... However if you're concerned with space, why don't you get a bouncy seat that swings/rocks?? That way it will serve more purpose but won't take up a ton of space????
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    we loved ours.  but not all babies love them.  if you aren't sure, what about something like this?  or this?  they are portable, which would mean easy to store/transport.  and they are cheaper than the full size swings, so if baby ends up not liking it, you aren't losing out on $100+
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTheFannins729:
    we loved ours.  but not all babies love them.  if you aren't sure, what about something like this?  or this?  they are portable, which would mean easy to store/transport.  and they are cheaper than the full size swings, so if baby ends up not liking it, you aren't losing out on $100+

Awesome, thanks! I didn't realize they had the frame you could put the carseat on, something like that would be really cool.... also, the portable ones in general do look like they are more compact...

image  image
  • Options

Just FYI, there's a lot of controversy about letting baby stay in their car seat too long. If you google it, you'll see a few articles pop up. 

All three of my kids loved the swing. I had the Fisher Price My little lamb one for my DS and we'll be using it again this time around.  We live in a small town house and the swing is big, but I don't regret having it, at all. 

DS-11 years, DD-3 years, DS-born 9/15/10, DD-9/09/11
    You're just giving birth now, you're not mother Earth now
  • Options
    imageUberTroll:

Just FYI, there's a lot of controversy about letting baby stay in their car seat too long. If you google it, you'll see a few articles pop up. 

All three of my kids loved the swing. I had the Fisher Price My little lamb one for my DS and we'll be using it again this time around.  We live in a small town house and the swing is big, but I don't regret having it, at all. 

the same could be said for sitting in the swing for too long as well, no?  

• Options
    the swing was a lifesaver for us...but like PPs said, some babies love it and others hate it. there's really no way to know in advance. But my one recommendation is to get one that plugs in -- otherwise you'll spend a small fortune on D batteries!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had the Fisher Price My Little Lamb swing and honestly I dont think we could have survived without it! Will definitely be using it again for this LO
  • Options

ALL of my friends say a swing is a must.  I have a small house plus full size swings are so expensive, I registered for this:

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=B003P96ORQ&colid=IPDH0IMP6GL5&coliid=I1HEZZNDJMX9E2&bckreg=baby

My mom talked about getting her own swing for the one day a week she watches the baby but I should be able to bring this swing with no problem.

• Options

I'm not an experienced mom but was also debating a swing.  I found a practically new one on Craigslist for $50 (about half the cost of new) so figured I'm not out as much if LO doesn't like it and I can just sell it again.

So if you have time/energy to look maybe you can find a used one if you don't get it off your registry.

• Options
    I have the Graco Swing N Bounce, its a swing and a bouncy seat in one, so its 1 less item to have hanging around your house. My DS loved his swing, it was a lifesaver, but like PP's suggested, every kid is different.
  • Options

1st time Mom here - but we were concerned with wasting money on a swing our LO didnt like - so we registered for this swing, since it is a bounce seat + swing combo

Graco? Swing 'n Bounce? 2-in-1 Infant Swing and Bouncer - Hathaway

Graco - Duo 2-in-1 Swing and Bouncer, Carlisle

• Options

Swings and bouncers a re a topic that you will meet a mom that swears by it and how they couldn't live without it.  Then you will meet a mom that swears it was the biggest waste of money.  

For us the swing was necessary and the bouncer was pretty useless.  I wish I would have done a swing n bounce that PPs mentioned, as it takes up the space of one but can be used as either.   That way you are covered no matter what your baby's preference.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageTheFannins729:
    imageUberTroll:

the same could be said for sitting in the swing for too long as well, no?  

totally agree, but it's something about the angle the baby's sitting at, or some junk. Just letting OP know there was other info out there.  

DS-11 years, DD-3 years, DS-born 9/15/10, DD-9/09/11
    You're just giving birth now, you're not mother Earth now
  • Options
    imagesolsburyhill:

ALL of my friends say a swing is a must.  I have a small house plus full size swings are so expensive, I registered for this:

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=B003P96ORQ&colid=IPDH0IMP6GL5&coliid=I1HEZZNDJMX9E2&bckreg=baby

My mom talked about getting her own swing for the one day a week she watches the baby but I should be able to bring this swing with no problem.

Thank you! I was looking at this same one and wondering about it.... it does look practical for our space limitation and seems to have decent enough reviews.

image  image
  • Options

Thank you all for the advice so far! :)

image  image
  • Options
    For us, both the swing and bouncer were totally necessary. DS hated the swing at first and the bouncer was how I survived (i.e. could put him down for a minute).  From 2 to 6 months, DS would only nap in the swing.  So having both for us was necessary.   It can't hurt to put it on your registry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is one of the things I'm going to buy used from Once Upon a Child or off Craigslist or something. I've heard about 50/50 "My kid loved it" and "My kid hated it" so I'm not going to drop a lot of money on something that might be a bust.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"