October 2011 Moms
Options

Fisher Price Rock 'n Play Sleeper: Safe for Sleeping?

I've heard a number of good things about this item and even saw that many people were laying their babies down in it for the night instead of a bassinet.

Maybe it's just me...  but this doesn't seem safe.  Everything we read says "firm matress, flat on back, etc..."  This seems to go against that.

What are your thoughts?  Any experience?

Re: Fisher Price Rock 'n Play Sleeper: Safe for Sleeping?

• Options

my vote is NO.  baby is not flat, and not on a firm mattress and not really able to even turn its head.  and it just does not look sturdy enough to me to be left unsupervised while you sleep, it looks super flimsy. 

i would only use something like that for naps or in addition to a bouncer seat on the first floor while supervised during the day and for short amounts of time.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options

This looks great for a baby with reflux. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I wont be getting one just becuase it would be another piece of furniture, and I'm sure we won't be want for a place to lay the baby down.

BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard and read a lot of good things about this product and plan on using it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With having a DS already and have him suffer from spitting up and trying numerous things to help alleviate that i think this will be something i will invest in for this baby. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • Options
    Apparently they are finding out that the RnP is causing "flat head" in babies because there is a piece of plastic or something hard under the babies head.
  • Options

imagecantalopes24:
    Apparently they are finding out that the RnP is causing "flat head" in babies because there is a piece of plastic or something hard under the babies head.

This.

Many things can cause positional plagiocephaly, but I'm not bringing a product into my home knowing that it can cause PP.  We won't be using it.

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    Personally I have not used it, but plan on using it with DD3. DD2 hated laying flat on her back, and refused to sleep in her bassinet. I feel for $45 even if we just use it for naps that it will be worth it. Lots of friends have told me this worked great for them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did a lot of Googling on this product and nothing raised any red flags for me. I'm registered for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    beyogabeyoga member
    We bought it for ds as he has reflux.  There is nothing hard under his head, it's not caused any flat head problems.  He turns his head fine in it, not problems there.  It has been great for us b/c he sits up more and he is at the age now he can rock himself in it.  Our d/s is loving it.  That being said, he always goes in his crib at night but does nap out by me in it during the day some.
  • Options
    imageProcrastinatingBride:

imagecantalopes24:

This.

Many things can cause positional plagiocephaly, but I'm not bringing a product into my home knowing that it can cause PP.  We won't be using it.

Out of the 414 reviews for this product on Amazon, only 19 have 1 or 2 star reviews...344 are 5 stars.  The 1 star people mentioned the flat head and I am more than willing to bet these are the people who leave their baby in it all night, then move baby to swing/bassinet/other contraption during the day where they lay flat on their back.  Maybe if they picked up their baby once in a while, the flat head wouldn't happen.  Tummy time is great for this very reason, you can get flat head if you lay flat in the crib all night without being lifted too.  

• Options
    We intend on using this during the first few weeks instead of a bassinet. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagePitaBread:

Out of the 414 reviews for this product on Amazon, only 19 have 1 or 2 star reviews...344 are 5 stars.  The 1 star people mentioned the flat head and I am more than willing to bet these are the people who leave their baby in it all night, then move baby to swing/bassinet/other contraption during the day where they lay flat on their back.  Maybe if they picked up their baby once in a while, the flat head wouldn't happen.  Tummy time is great for this very reason, you can get flat head if you lay flat in the crib all night without being lifted too.  

And all of the good reviews are mostly from people who owned it for a week or 2 so it can go both ways. I'm curious how many of those people end up having the same issue. I know someone who has one who is having the flat head/neck issue and they baby wear and don't leave their baby in it all the time. I don't think it's a fair assesment to assume people who have this happen don't pick their babies up.

• Options
    imagePitaBread:

imagecantalopes24:

This.

Hmm this screams judgemental.  babies don't only have flat heads from what you are insinuating and i am surprised that you of all people would be the one to say something like this, with all of the research you appear to do on everything else.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-baby/PR00043

and

https://www.flatheadprevention.org/about-flathead-syndrome/

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    imagejonnygurl76:
    imagePitaBread:

imagecantalopes24:

This.

Hmm this screams judgemental.  babies don't only have flat heads from what you are insinuating and i am surprised that you of all people would be the one to say something like this, with all of the research you appear to do on everything else.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-baby/PR00043

and

https://www.flatheadprevention.org/about-flathead-syndrome/

I just wanted to add that maybe my position is also partly motivated by the fact that our LO will be in daycare after 3 months, and I know they often use a variety of bouncers, swings, seats, etc. to get and keep the babies to sleep.  I won't have as much control over how often she's picked up, turned, given tummy time, etc. once she's in daycare, so I'm going to do my part while I'm home with her.  For me, part of "doing my part" means not having this product.  YMMV.

My BFP Chart

• Options
    Im getting one for DD. With our DS Im just going to be honest and say he HATED laying flat on a firm matress and would not sleep. He was able to cry for upwards of 3 hours and it wasnt because of relux. So we were forced to let him sleep in his bouncer. He also had a case of flat head before we took him off the matress for many reasons, so we took him to a pediatric chiropractor. She told us that lying himflat on the mattress in the same position every night is what caused it, and we had to start using a sleep positioner to help release some of the pressure from his head. It took 5 appts of adjusting and him having to sleep on his side to reverse the flat head.
  • Options
    imagecantalopes24:

imagePitaBread:

And all of the good reviews are mostly from people who owned it for a week or 2 so it can go both ways. I'm curious how many of those people end up having the same issue. I know someone who has one who is having the flat head/neck issue and they baby wear and don't leave their baby in it all the time. I don't think it's a fair assesment to assume people who have this happen don't pick their babies up.

I was really into getting one of these until I read past the newborn/new-parent reviews and looked at the one's where the baby was over three months old.  It's been over a month since I looked at the reviews, but if I remember correctly, none of the reviews that were over the baby being a few weeks old were good.  I don't think it was a problem with the babies never being picked up.  I think they ended up with malformed heads because they were sleeping in it all night long and it took a few months for the parents to realize there was a problem with the shape of the skull.   All of those babies were put into physical therapy and some even have to wear head-shaping gear.  I was SO disappointed that this was happening.  It seemed like the perfect solution for somewhere for our little guy to sleep while he's in our room.  It's just not worth it, unfortunately.  I'm sure for naps it would be okay, though.

• Options
    btsrc5btsrc5 member
    I am registered for it and will add a little cushion behind the head (blankets folded up maybe?)

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Anything that has a documented potential risk of causing a problem like the RnP has is a risky choice, in my opinion.  I know that many things in life have the potential to cause harm in this day and age, but the more documentation there is, the harder it is to ignore the information.  Even "only" 19 reviews is a lot to me- that's 19 babies who wore helmets to correct skull abnormalities potentially linked to this item.  We won't be using one.
  • Options
    I'm curious what the nay-sayers ARE registering for? I have this on my registry, and I am second guessing it now, but it seems to me that all swings, bouncers, like products have the risk of the head flattening. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    imagealison2379:
    I'm curious what the nay-sayers ARE registering for? I have this on my registry, and I am second guessing it now, but it seems to me that all swings, bouncers, like products have the risk of the head flattening. Am I wrong?
    Supposedly the RnP has a hard piece and can cause the head to slump to one side. The mom I know said she didn't realize the piece was there until her baby started to have issues. We have a Graco swing that didn't have a hard piece behind the head but I'm not sure about other swings. I think the general opinion is it's ok for naps but not all the time use like overnight . We will be using a bassinet and a swing and bouncy seat.
  • Options

imagecantalopes24:
    imagealison2379:
    Supposedly the RnP has a hard piece and can cause the head to slump to one side. The mom I know said she didn't realize the piece was there until her baby started to have issues. We have a Graco swing that didn't have a hard piece behind the head but I'm not sure about other swings. I think the general opinion is it's ok for naps but not all the time use like overnight . We will be using a bassinet and a swing and bouncy seat.

This - its internal structure is different than other, similar products from what I understand.  We'll use a swing periodically and a different type of seat periodically, but I do think the photo they use to market it (where mom reaches out of bed to get the baby from it) is troubling given what we now know about the product.

My BFP Chart

• Options
    I think I will be registering for this anyway if only for daytime naps and visits to friends and family (It folds nicely).  But I will definitely NOT be using it for overnight sleeping.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.  We had the RnP on our registry but after seeing your post and looking around a bit online, I decided to take it off. 
  • Options

Speaking from experience DS started developing a flat head from sleeping in his crib. If your following pediatricians directions and place your child to sleep on his/her back then they have the possibility of getting a flat head, it just happens.  I learned to put DS in his crib w/ his head facing the opposite direction in the crib every night/week so if he watched me walk out of the room he'd have more of a chance to keep his head to the side. 

I must say i held DS alot so it has nothing to do w/ holding or not holding your child.  flat head happens.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"