Tennessee Babies
Options

Moving to Nashville area (NBR)

My DH just got a new job offer in Mount Juliet so we will be needing to move to that area.  We have started browsing real estate listings and have been looking in possibly the antioch/mount Juliet/ Gallatin areas. 

I am looking for some recommendations on a real estate agent, so if you can recommend someone it would be much appreciated.

I think our time frame for moving will be in late July/Aug (we don't have the details yet) so we will be looking for child care around that time as well. 

Thanks!

Re: Moving to Nashville area (NBR)

• Options

Don't move to Antioch... just don't.

If you're husband is going to work in Mt. Juliet, his commute from Antioch would be quite long (depending on when he works of course) - about 45 minutes.  That's long to me anyway.  And in general Antioch isn't exactly known for it's safety or schools...

Gallatin would be fine.

However, Wilson Co., where Mt. Juliet is located, has very good schools in general.  I would try to buy in Mt. Juliet (or Lebanon) if you can.

I'm in Hermitage on the Mt. Juliet/Hermitage line.  I like the area.

We just moved (in March 2011).  Our realtor was a Godsend; she was amazing and I felt like we put her through a lot.

Her name is Sara Jan Malaikham with Keller Williams; she works out of the Murfreesboro office but she drove us all around Hendersonville and Gallatin areas - she'll drive anywhere.

She had a partner, Linwood Remington.  He was good too; I felt like he tried to connect to my husband and get him more involved/excited for the process.

However, Sara Jan was definitely the powerhouse of the team.  She was just awesome!

Let me run around the house and try to find their business cards and I'll type more later.

Welcome to the area!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Sara Jan: 615-869-9292
    soldbysarajan@gmail.com

Linwood: 615-995-6305
    lremington@realtracs.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Also... I know nothing about child care in the area.
    All my friends are either childless or stay at home moms.

I plan to be a stay at home mom too.

Sorry I couldn't help you there.

Also, if you end up requiring an apartment (sometimes living in the area a while first is the best, so you know what YOU want from your community vs. my opinion or anyone else's), I would recommend The Cove at Priest Lake.  We lived there a little over a year - had a year lease and then extended it month by month while our house kept getting delayed in the closing.
    www.liveatcoveapts.com
    Our biggest complaint was lazy people not picking up their dog poop.  If you don't have a dog though, you probably won't spend too much time in the grass, and you shouldn't have an issue.
    Silly thing is, The Cove provides the poop bags and trash cans scattered throughout the complex.  They were truly VERY lazy people.

• Options

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I have been researching a little more on area's today and have read some not so great things about antioch.  I was originally attracted to the area because of the affordability. 

We are in an apartment now, and we do have 2 dogs, and as a dog owner it disgusts me that other owners are too lazy to pick up the poop.  We just moved into this place in March and it is actually pretty good, but the place we lived before was a bit more high end and there was crap everywhere.  And they also had several stations around the property that had poop bags.  I would occasionally see someone not picking up their poop and I would say to them "Oh I hate when I forget to bring a bag, here I have an extra" and that would guilt them into picking it up.....especially when I was 9 months preggo and bending over to pick it up!!

• Options

I live in Mount Juliet! We've lived here for about 3 years. Its a very up and coming area with good Wilson County schools and lots of shopping! We like living here. Don't move to Antioch. Hermitage is good, but then you're in Davidson County schools. I can't help with child care....our baby isn't here yet. We're going to get a part time nanny, we just haven't picked one out yet.

Welcome to the area!! Where are you moving from?

• Options
    imageUltrasoundTechMommy:

I live in Mount Juliet! We've lived here for about 3 years. Its a very up and coming area with good Wilson County schools and lots of shopping! We like living here. Don't move to Antioch. Hermitage is good, but then you're in Davidson County schools. I can't help with child care....our baby isn't here yet. We're going to get a part time nanny, we just haven't picked one out yet.

I agree...  even though I live in Hermitage.
    You're better off a mile east in Wilson Co.
    My plan is to home school (we'll see how that goes as it gets closer), but Hermitage does have good elementary schools - just a "ugh" high school.  By the time we'll need a high school, we'll probably be looking to move again anyway and who knows what the "good" school district will be then.

Antioch is affordable just like you found out, but it's affordable for a reason...  Confused

• Options
    imagejigglyjelloo:

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I have been researching a little more on area's today and have read some not so great things about antioch.  I was originally attracted to the area because of the affordability. 

We are in an apartment now, and we do have 2 dogs, and as a dog owner it disgusts me that other owners are too lazy to pick up the poop.  We just moved into this place in March and it is actually pretty good, but the place we lived before was a bit more high end and there was crap everywhere.  And they also had several stations around the property that had poop bags.  I would occasionally see someone not picking up their poop and I would say to them "Oh I hate when I forget to bring a bag, here I have an extra" and that would guilt them into picking it up.....especially when I was 9 months preggo and bending over to pick it up!!

Yes

I like you!

• Options
    imageUltrasoundTechMommy:

We are moving from Knoxville...not a far move, but a move none the less.  I am from Canada and have lived in the US for just over a year, so as much are our cultures are similar, there are a lot of big differences and it has definitely been a big learning expericence!!

• Options
    amy259amy259 member

DH and I moved to Mt. Juliet about a year 1/2 ago and we really like it. When we first moved here we lived in the Aventura apartments, there is also an apt complex called the Deer Field. (I agree with the dog poop post, that was an issue at the Aventura too). We bought a house after living here only 4 months and have not regretted it. I'm a SAHM so I can't help with childcare but there seem to be a few options right in the area.

Have you guys been out here to look around?

There are some affordable housing options right around Providence (newer homes) and some great more mature neighborhoods. It's really a nice area, close to Nashville and tons of shopping not too far away. I won't recommend our realtor because he wasn't that familiar with the area (we found the house we wanted on our own pretty much). Feel free to PM with any questions.

BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12
  • Options

Thank you so much for all of the info.  DH finally got the address of the new facility, and although it has a Mount Juliet address it is closer to Smyrna. 

Can anyone give me any details about the Smyrna area? 

You have all been very helpful....TIA

• Options
    I live in Gallatin and love it. I'm currently looking for a house too and my realtor is Sheila Brown brownsh@realtracs.com Good luck in finding a home. Also you can use a website www.realtracs.com to look for homes. It's the site my realtor and others use. You can put in the city you want to look at, price range, sq ft, bedrooms, etc. The other problem is you have to know the county the city is in. But you can probably find that on line easy. And as for child care, I really don't have any suggestions. I'm currently a SAHM. But once you pick a city, I bet some local moms on here can help you find something. GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I live in the smyrna area and LOVE IT!!! Highly recommend it. Its about 15 min. to Downtown Nashville and about 10 minutes from Murfreesboro. It is very family oriented. Lots of daycares. We are sending DS to Rock Springs Academy and great pediatricians too.

You can look on www.realtracs.com and it will show you all listings! Its a great website!

Let me know if you have any more questions

image   image
  • Options

I don't have much to add except I agree, don't move to Antioch.  We live there (in the Cane Ridge area) and we are trying to move out fast.  I hate the area.  Thank goodness we are just renting.

I also agree, check out realtracs.com...awesome website!!

Good luck to you.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

If you haven't found a realtor yet, my fiance is a realtor with Zietlin (a well established firm in Nashville) and he is REALLY good at what he does. 

His website:  https://www.jareddevalk.com

Good luck!

• Options
    We're in the Cane Ridge area on the Williamson County line. We're five minutes from where Brentwood starts and five minutes from Antioch. I would classify our part of Cane Ridge as a rural subdivision. We're happy here, and our neighborhood is safe. I know quite a few people who moved here instead of Franklin because of its affordability and proximity to Brentwood and Franklin. Cane Ridge also has its own schools instead of using Antioch's. We also use "Cane Ridge" as the city instead of "Antioch."

We're 15 minutes from Smyrna--maybe less. All in all, it's a great set-up for us--especially since we're closer to Williamson County than Davidson. We rarely go into Antioch for anything since there's just as much available on the Brentwood side.

Smyrna is probably also a great option for you. I would also recommend Murfreesboro. It's a booming little town these days.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"