Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Is anyone elses LO hate/afraid of bandaids?

DS screams bloody murder if I try to put a bandaid on him. Earlier he cut his foot and it was bleeding pretty badly. I knew he hated bandaids because I have tried to put them on him a few times before. So I tried gauze and tape and got the same reaction as I would a bandaid. I had to hold his foot and wrap the tape on him to keep it on, it took 3 tries.

I've tried fun bandaids, plain ons, putting them on DH and I to show they don't hurt. He still wants them no where near him.

So is your LO like this? Have you figured a way around it?

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August

Re: Is anyone elses LO hate/afraid of bandaids?

• Options
    William hates them and takes them off as soon as they are on.  Sarah is indifferent but KJ is always in need of a band-aid.  From about 18months on he has equated band-aids with pain relief. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    try putting it on a doll - or letting your LO put it on a doll.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

she likes them when she doesn't have a boo boo.

i think she might relate them to getting shots at the Dr.

Baby girl #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

She hates them!  She went through a phase where they were "cool" to put on without any owies- even put them on her animals.  For actual owies- no way.

She scraped her knee and was crying more when someone suggested a band aid.  I have to warn others not even to mention it as an option if she hurts herself, it causes more issues than it helps.

I have no advice.  I am sorry.

• Options
    My son hates them!  Starts screaming "take it off, take it off!"  Then says "Mommy, kiss it better."  I think they remind of the shots at the doctor's office too!  No advice, just know you're not alone.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    My LO thinks Band-aids are food. He says "I want eat dat canny." He just doesn't get it!
  • Options

imagenictel:
    My son hates them!  Starts screaming "take it off, take it off!"  Then says "Mommy, kiss it better."  I think they remind of the shots at the doctor's office too!  No advice, just know you're not alone.

I think this is the reason also. Ugh! Normally I just wipe the blood off, but this one needed something! I think I am going to find that wrap ape stuff they put on you after you give blood and bring that to the Drs with me from now on. Hopefully that will disassociate bandaid and pain.

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • Options

imagenictel:

I think this is the reason also. Ugh! Normally I just wipe the blood off, but this one needed something! I think I am going to find that wrap tape stuff they put on you after you give blood and bring that to the Drs with me from now on. Hopefully that will disassociate bandaid and pain.

• Options
    My DD hates them too.  For her it's because she hit her head on a table (at school) and had to get 14 stitches and she definitely remembers the pain of taking the bandaid off of her forehead.  Now she cries and begs us not to put them on her.  If she has a cut or scrape that needs one, I'll always let her put one on me first, then let her pick which kind she wants for herself (we have Mickey, Spongebob, Dora, Hello Kitty, ...).  Usually putting one on me first helps, though.  GL!
  • Options
    MereBMereB member
    My son HATES them too.  Thursday he fell on our way out of the library and he scraped his knee.  It was bleeding like crazy- blood got all over both of us.  I managed to wrestle a band-aid on his knee while he was kicking and screaming.  He refused to walk normally since the band-aid was on his leg.  Later that evening it was still a little bit bloody, so I put a fresh band-aid on (my husband had taken the old one off since my son was begging) and then put PJ pants on.  I notice that if he can't see the band-aid (because of clothes) he soon forgets it's on him.  Unfortunately I haven't had luck with a tantrum free application though :(
  • Options

glad to hear we arent the only ones!  she definitely remembers them from the doctor's office/shots, she tells us that and plays it out with her dr kit at home.  i've put them on me, DH , dolls, etc and have all sorts of cute ones, she will have NONE of it.

arent there those band-aid type things that you can kind of paint on, a liquid, applied almost like with a nail polish brush?  i have no idea what they are called but i swear i saw a commercial once and i need to find some of that. 

• Options

Sometimes I wish I had that problem!  My daughter LOVES them.  She will find an old "owie" and ask for a bandaid.  She gets very dramatic and acts like she is hurting bad until she gets one lol.

Can you put one on you or a doll to show that it's no big deal? 

• Options
    imageWiggleBaby:

glad to hear we arent the only ones!  she definitely remembers them from the doctor's office/shots, she tells us that and plays it out with her dr kit at home.  i've put them on me, DH , dolls, etc and have all sorts of cute ones, she will have NONE of it.

arent there those band-aid type things that you can kind of paint on, a liquid, applied almost like with a nail polish brush?  i have no idea what they are called but i swear i saw a commercial once and i need to find some of that. 

That liquid bandage freakin burns!

And the doll/stuffed animal thing failed. He just cried no owie my owl! Guess we just have to wait until he is old enough to understand its not the bandaid that gives owies. And hope he doesn't get any cuts or scrapes that need a bandaid until then!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"