September 2011 Moms
Options

The "Babykini"

https://jezebel.com/5812953/the-babykini-is-a-thing 

Am I a prude?  Seriously, I think this is really inappro.  What do you think? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The "Babykini"

• Options
    Eh, it doesn't really bother me. I have a picture when I was younger sitting in a baby pool and I'm wearing a 2 piece bathing suit with strawberries covering me up. It's actually one of my favorite photos. BUT, once they start getting older than I would def have more of a problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think we need to not let our kids grow up so fast. 
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's cute...although that video def puts a negative spin on it.  IMO it's more inappropriate for some adults to wear tiny bikinis than babies...
  • Options
    I just think that it would be difficult to manage. I think just bottoms or a one piece makes more sense for practical reasons.
  • Options
    I think sports bra looking bakinis would be fine.. but ones that look like grown up bakinis.. no.. there was a string bakini on clearance and gymboree.. no thanks! They did however have an adorable seahorse tankini with a skirt.. I should have gotten it for DD that was adorable and kept her covered. However I got a bathing suit bottom for dd at my baby shower.. just a bottom.. id rather let her go topless than throw a stringy bikini top on her to cover the skeeto bites.. ;)
  • Options

While over-sexualization of little girls is definitely something I am aware of, I actually think those super-religious modesty dresses/apparel (a la The Duggars) is more sexualizing than a baby bikini, since it indicates that a child's body is a sexual object that needs to be covered up.

I had two pieces (including bikinis) as a little kid, so it's certainly nothing new. Also, a two piece is way more practical than a one piece for a little kid.

In short: I'm totally fine with these.

• Options

Flame me if you want, but I let DD wear a bikini. I actually find it easier than a one piece because I don't have to take off the entire swimsuit to change her swim diaper.

Here is a cell phone pic of it:

Dylan Sophia 06.04.09 - Elijah Alexander 04.25.10 - 04.25.10 - Sullivan Thomas 09.06.11 - Calvin Douglas 08.06.13 - Baby GIRL Due 07.01.15!
    Elijah's Story: Embracing Elijah
    My blog: Midwest Chaos

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageLauraLovesJon:

Flame me if you want, but I let DD wear a bikini. I actually find it easier than a one piece because I don't have to take off the entire swimsuit to change her swim diaper.

Here is a cell phone pic of it:

that one I have no issue with.. its this kind

That I don't like.. fwiw since the link isn't clicky I didn't see it since im on a phone so not sure what kind are shown.
  • Options

imagehoot179:
    I think it's cute...although that video def puts a negative spin on it.  IMO it's more inappropriate for some adults to wear tiny bikinis than babies...

I would have to agree with this. I think a two piece on a baby seems quite practical, because have you ever tried to take a wet one piece off of a cranky baby to change a diaper? Not fun. I don't really view this as over-sexualization of babies...More so than the sexualization, I'd be more concerned with increased UV exposure...More areas to make sure have sun screen!

All in all, I think it's fine. There will be pervs out there no matter what your child wears.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I really haven't totally sorted out my own thinking about this.  I think that two pieces are fine, especially a tankini piece.  In fact, I find tankinis on LOs to be really cute.  It DOES make a ton of sense esp if diapers are in play.  

But these are string bikinis.  IDK, they just seem a little too grown up.  

• Options

I'll sit on the prude bus because I am not a fan. 

What are the parents doing when their daughter poops in that thing?  None of them are wearing diapers.  

• Options
    imagear78:

I really haven't totally sorted out my own thinking about this.  I think that two pieces are fine, especially a tankini piece.  In fact, I find tankinis on LOs to be really cute.  It DOES make a ton of sense esp if diapers are in play.  

But these are string bikinis.  IDK, they just seem a little too grown up.  

I totally agree.  I think the strings would be impractical, too.  I'm totally fine with a tankini two piece or one with more substance than little strings have.

Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    imagemarriedfilingjointly:

I'll sit on the prude bus because I am not a fan. 

I''ll join you. 

I have no problem with a two piece suit on a child. DD has a very cute two piece that has a tankini type top, and I would okay with a "full coverage" top that bared her stomach. But I can't get on board with string bikinis for a child. It's just to much.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think my lil girl will wear anything but a swim diaper.  I'm a- ok with topless little girls.  It's the least sexualized look IMO.  My parents have this amazing picture of my sis and I standing in the rain on our back patio when we were little.  I was probably 18 months and my sister was 4ish... I'm buck naked with and she's wearing a green string bikini.  We're both holding red plastic umbrellas.  It's adorable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    elyndselynds member

IMO:

Bikini (by bikini I mean skimpy, strings involved, etc) - NOT appropriate.

2-piece (2 separate pieces, but not skimpy, shows belly) - totally appropriate and would be easier to manage as far as bathroom goes (a 2+ time mom I know who has 2 girls said it'smuch easier to take your daughter to the restroom at water parks, etc, if they don't have to take off the whole darn thing). 

1-piece - always appropriate.

• Options

imageKatywren:
    I don't think my lil girl will wear anything but a swim diaper.  I'm a- ok with topless little girls.  It's the least sexualized look IMO.  My parents have this amazing picture of my sis and I standing in the rain on our back patio when we were little.  I was probably 18 months and my sister was 4ish... I'm buck naked with and she's wearing a green string bikini.  We're both holding red plastic umbrellas.  It's adorable.

Totally. Frankly, I wish we'd all just get over it and swim naked, but I completely agree with you. Topless little girls (ie: pre-pubescent girls) is apparently quite common in Europe. (And, clearly, if Europeans do it, it's the most classy way to go about things ;) ) Seriously, they all look the same from the waist up at that age. Who cares?

• Options

I don't see a problem with these, but I don't get the practicality.  Wouldn't the strings come undone easier on a little baby?  I know when I wear a bikini that I have to make sure my strings are always tied and not falling down.  Meh..

AND....how many times have I (& most likely you) gone through a baby book of your own or someone else you know to see them NAKED in a pool, or just wearing a diaper?  How is this really any different?  If anything it's better because the girl's "tops" are covered.

I will also agree with PP that people MAKE it seem wrong on little kids, when half the time like I stated above we let them run around with just bottoms on or even naked.

I do think that once a girl gets to a certain age (out of the baby/toddler stage...think pre-teen and before I suppose) that these would be kinda inappropriate just because they are out more in public with maybe not as much parental supervision and there are some creepers out and about. But all in all, I have no problem with 2 pieces or bikinis on girls.  I like the idea of PP how it's easier to change diapers with them on! :)

• Options
    Why can't we just let little girls be little girls?  I have no issues with 2 piece bathing suits for babies and little girls (I'm pretty sure I had one  myself), but string bikinis?  No...
  • Options
    imageLaComtesse:

While over-sexualization of little girls is definitely something I am aware of, I actually think those super-religious modesty dresses/apparel (a la The Duggars) is more sexualizing than a baby bikini, since it indicates that a child's body is a sexual object that needs to be covered up.

I had two pieces (including bikinis) as a little kid, so it's certainly nothing new. Also, a two piece is way more practical than a one piece for a little kid.

In short: I'm totally fine with these.

I'm not a fan of the babykini, but I agree with this 1000%.

• Options

imageKatywren:

This exactly.  IMO, putting a string bikini top sexualizes a baby more than just letting her go topless.  I probably won't personally have Violet go topless in public, but the principle you're talking about makes sense.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"