Detroit Babies

Henry Ford WB, Providence Novi or St. Mary Mercy

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to decide on a hospital to deliver at and it's all very new to me. I would appreciate any information/personal experience you may have with Providence Novi, Henry Ford West Bloomfield and St. Mary Mercy. Also, what OB you used.

Thank you so much in advance Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Henry Ford WB, Providence Novi or St. Mary Mercy

• I go to Metro Partner's in Women's Health at Providence Novi and see Dr. Lacoste.  I absolutely LOVE her.  I was lucky enough for her to be on call to deliver my DS.

I delivered at Providence Novi and cannot say enough great things about them.  All of the nurses I had were fantastic, the staff is great, and their Lactation Consultant was awesome.  It's a new hospital, the rooms are large, you deliver in your room (unless you have a c/s of course) and they clean up the baby and do everything in your room.  Your spouse is allowed to stay the night with you.  I was able to have my mom in the room while I delivered.  The food is great.  The NICU is a Level 2, but equiped for a Level 3, they are just waiting on their certification.  That didn't phase me at all, but I know some people didn't like that, so I just wanted to throw that out to you.  Basically it means if you deliver before 32 weeks you will have to go to Providence Southfield.  If you have any specific questions please let me know.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • i also plan to deliver at Providence Park Hospital in Novi and also go to Metro Partners in Parenting. I see Dr. Hakin. He's male, but an amazing Dr to work with.

I have no experience with the hospital as this will be my first encounter. i've really only worked with beaumont royal oak in the past, but my insurance doesn't cover them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses ladies!
  • I also delivered at Providence Park Novi and have nothing but wonderful things to say about them.  Rooms were fantastic and the nursing staff was top notch!  Love it there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you again ladies  :-)

I have different reasons why I like/dislike each one. Which is what's making this harder to choose.

HFWB - New hospital, in-room jacuzzi, convenient locations I can have my appointments at (I live in Dearborn), the problem here is the hospital is a little ways away. I'm afraid if I go into labor during rush hour I may not make it in that Orchard Lake traffic.

Providence - Also new, highly recommended, a little closer than HFWB, but all of my appointments would be in Novi...

St. Mary Mercy - The closest, but also the oldest, not sure how much that matters. My friend had her baby here in 2005 and the rooms were HUGE, I also remember her telling me she didn't have the best experience.

I'm also leaning towards HFWM and Providence because they have midwives. Does SMM allow midwives?

Thank you again ladies for your help, I really appreciate it. 

• I'm not sure if SMM has Midwives, I'm assuming yes, but I can't say for sure.

I know there are women on this board that had great experiences there, however, in my circle of friends and family I don't know anyone that had a good experince there.  Aside from L&D, the rest of their hospital staff & doctors are incompetent and lacking.  They overlooked a brain hematoma in DH's grandma and she almost died (she did end up passing a few years ago, but due to cancer).  That is just one example.  My MIL has told me plenty of stories relating to SMM and the experinces she's had with various family members and that alone has made me decide to stay away from that hospital.  Just my $0.02.  Clearly you need to make the best decision for you and your family, but all I know is I wouldn't trust them to deliver my baby.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Not sure if you read the link I posted, but I've delivered twice at SMM & had great experiences both times.  I will be honest, when I heard that's where my OB/GYN delivers out of, I was hesitant because I had heard someone complain about them in 2006, but as of 2008 & 2010 (the 2 yrs I delivered), I had no problems & the nurses were wonderful.  If we try for #3 I will be back at SMM again.  Both my deliveries were anything but normal & they were great at handling my delivery issues.  My 2nd pregnancy was a high risk one, so I had to go their high risk doctors at SMM as well & no problems there either.

I don't know if they have Midwives.

Good luck on your decision!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Very happy with my experience at HFWB with the midwives!  I primarily saw Lynn Rife in Canton, and she was great.  The support system that I had at HFWB was incredible - the CNMs, nurses, and anesthesiologists were top notch.  I had full support when I was laboring naturally, and full support when I ended up needing an epidural after hours and hours of nasty back labor.  Unlike my experience at Oakwood when anesthesiology quickly gave up on me and shipped me to the OR for a c-section, HFWB did everything they possibly could to manage my pain and I ended up with a successful VBAC.  This would not have happened at any other hospital. 

• Jynx23Jynx23 member
    I'm going to deliver at Henry Ford WB and so far I've had really good experiences.  I just spent the weekend there in Labor and Delivery for pre-term labor and all of the nurses, doctors and midwives that took care of me were very nice and supportive.  The room was pretty big and nice as well.  I feel confident with delivering there (hopefully not yet though!)
  • Please accept a shout-out for HFWB! I just had my son there two weeks ago, and it was a *superb* experience as far as care and comfort. I did not get to labor in the famed jacuzzi, but that was because I stayed home a little too long and wanted an epidural. I was in triage within 10 minutes of arriving and being attended to within 20. I was being set up for an epidural within an hour (I wanted one, and quickly). The anesthesia team (yay CRNA Jeff in particular) and the nurses were all absolutely amazing. I did not have a birth plan or many demands, but one thing I did ask for was respected and attended to. And the room was VERY nice. In general, I told my husband that should we have another baby, we'll be going back to HFWB to get him or her. %)

However, one thing that may be an issue is that they don't have a nursery that can accommodate babies born prior to 28 weeks (they are taken to Children's or HFH downtown by ambulance). My girlfriend, who is a little bit older and was pregnant with twins, decided not to go with them for that very reason. 

Tanya

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"