Northern California Babies
Options

Help w/ sunscreening kids

Does anyone have tips on how to lather up kids /w sunscreen? Alana is fine a it, but Caden has a full-on screaming, crying, defiant fit every time.  Starts off every outdoor activity w/ an awful beginning.  Has anyone made up a successful game or way to make the lathering process better?

Re: Help w/ sunscreening kids

• Options
    I am not sure, because Darrian hasn't minded (yet) but we use the spray kind and he thinks that is cool. He also gets to help rub it in, and he likes that.
  • Options
    The spray kind was "cool" for C for awhile, but now that is torture too.  :( 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We apply when we're getting dressed for the day, so it's not particularly a part of gearing up for outdoor play, even though we do reapply at that time.

Have you tried those sunscreen wipes?  Don't remember off hand who makes them, but I know I've seen them.  Maybe if he can apply the wipe?

I imagine it may be part sensory part independance here.  You agree?

• Options
    Do you put it on at home? Maybe he is not wanting to wait for you to put it on if you are actually at the park or whatever. I add into D's shower routine and he doesn't mind, if we are at the pool I have reapplied with the spray kind. Maybe if your not do it at home right before leaving, that way if he has a fit then he has a moment to get over it before your at the actual place?
  • Options
    imageSmuches4u:

We apply when we're getting dressed for the day, so it's not particularly a part of gearing up for outdoor play, even though we do reapply at that time.

I imagine it may be part sensory part independance here.  You agree?

ditto on both accounts. Grey is just getting to be OK with it. He still whines, but not screaming. It's rough, because it HAS to get done (as you know).  

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options

We also try to do it in the am with his clothing. I let him help rub it on which helps him. He doesn't like his face done very much but we also don't give him a choice. He has to wear it, he is too pale not to.

I like the reward idea and the time out idea, depending on you parenting style and child one might work better than the other. I know for Riley he works much better doing something for a reward (like a cookie) than he does telling him he will get a timeout for not doing it.

• Options
    We switched brands and we apply it when we get dressed for the day.  He doesn't love it but it's a part of our routine.  He can't go anywhere without it so he doesn't usually pitch almighty fits about it.
  • Options
    Amazon has these. The quanitities of Super Goop (Item 5) and Desert Essence (Item 11) seemed substantial compared to the packs of individual wipes.
  • Options

It just dawned on me that if it is a sensory aversion that it may be that it makes his skin cold and goosebump.

I know my brother has sensory sensitivities and he crawls all over with discomfort when he gets the chills.  Like they are painful for him.

Maybe if the lotion were warmed in your hands a bit and then he's put under a blanket/towel to keep the chills from coming on it would be tolerable.

• Options
    Have you tried the stick kind?  So far that works the best for E, but he still doesn't love it.  good luck!!
  • Options
    Great suggestions!  He has a fit no matter where we are and no matter what kind we try.  (Although I haven't tried the stick kind in a long time and have never tried the wipes, so maybe those will help.)  I think I will try the rewards chart too!  Thanks!
  • Options
    We use the spray and kind of make a game out of it for the boys. They weren't too keen on it but now they giggle and love it! We actually spray them down before we get in the car most days. Another idea I had is how about making it a game and/or see if it will help if he puts it on with you (making it more of his job & you can help him). 
  • Options
    Can you make it into a game? I know that works (more often than I remember) for control battles (not sure if this is a control thing or discomfort thing), but it's such a pain sometimes. Like he chooses where you apply first, second third? Or time him and see how long it takes? Or he can rub it on you and you can rub it on him? Good luck. Sometimes these basic things are such a pain. 
  • Options

Jay is ok with it now, but when he used to fuss over it we would make a game and let hime apply it on his arms and legs with me, or i would let him put some on me to distract him while i put it on him

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Previously posted as "denisethebride"
  • Options
    Oh it's so hard with my DD too. the face especially. I tend to keep her somewhat covered with clothes so  have less to apply, which may be mean but she seems Ok with pants at least on a warm day. the arms if they are out are not so bad but the face, is terrible Not so bad if she does it, but of course she is not thorough. I just try to make it as quick as possible and that's that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We do sunscreen first thing while he's getting dressed. This happens to also be while he's watching his shows. Seems to work ok, he is partially zoned out.
  • Options

Helping rub in works well for my kids...

Also I just say they cant go outside without it on...so if I put it on JLK she can go outside and Jonathan cant...that usually break thru...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Also JLK likes it better cold...like from the fridge...Jonathan hates it too cold so I try adn warm his a bit...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I haven't read all the responses but what about the color changing one?  He could help?
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

Andrew is like C (in many ways, the overly sensitive and persistent ways) and what I do is use the spray because it's faster and I can hit a moving target and then he freaks the eff out and screams and yells and then I rub him with a towel and tell him I'm getting it all off of him.  So far that has satisfied him  :::fingers crossed::::

For this summer I am also considering the wipe type sunscreen.  I think it's pretty much designed to stuff in your purse to have something on the go but I think I could trick him a bit more with those and I'm in the whatever it takes to make my life easier camp.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"