September 2011 Moms
Options

GTKY: Where is your ideal home?

Is your dream home in a bustling city, in the heart of the suburbs, or in the middle of no where?  Where do you live now?  Are they the same?

Re: GTKY: Where is your ideal home?

• Options
    We live in the suburbs, and if that's where we end up long term, I'm okay with it.  But we would love to buy some land someday and live a little further out from the city.
  • Options

I would be on a private ocean front property that I could walk out onto the beach!

I do NOT live in that now haha! I live in a small city of about 15 000 people at the most! haha! This is however more ideal in my opinion for raising kids. Guess that retirement home will have to wait!! =))

BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I live on Long Island and I must say I love it.  We are 10 minutes from the ocean and 5 from the bay, 45 minutes from NYC and about an hour from Montauk and the Hamptons.  Its centrally located for everything I want to experience and I love that we get to witness all 4 seasons.  DH talks about retiring elsewhere since it is so damn expensive to live here, but I won't budge! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At the beach!  We're about 45 minutes from the beach now (well, it's RI, so we could be at a beach in about 15 minutes, but not a good beach), and that feels WAY too far for me.  We're in the suburbs, which is fine and probably the environment that we'll stay in just because of the convenience, but I'd like to be in a quiet beach town, ideally.
  • Options

We live in a neighborhood where your neighbors house are pretty close. Not reach out your window and touch them close, but about 12ft away from each other.

We would love love to live on some property with about 5 or so acres. We want to be close to stuff, but not to our neighbors lol One day (years down the road) when we are finally able to sale our house we may build on some land:)

• Options
    We live in the suburbs but are very close to the city... About a 15 minute drive. It's the best of both worlds.

Our house is a total remodeled 80 year old cape cod... Its incredibly charming and I love it.. But we will be building our dream home in less than 2 years and I can't wait!!! I desperately want a finished basement for the kids (our current basement has low ceilings and can't be finished) and I just prefer a "newer" home... Plus while I love our neighborhood, I really want to be in a subdivision..(we are on a busier street now)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Currently in NYC, which is my ideal place for right now. For the long term, my ideal place is somewhere like New Paltz, NY. I only ever want to be an hour and a half from New York City, but I would like to settle in "the country." It doesn't have to be the middle of nowhere (I would, in fact, like a decent sized town within 15 minutes) but I'd like to be somewhere where the houses aren't one on top of the other.
  • Options

I love where we live now, in the burbs of Chicago. I like that we really aren't that far from the city (although with traffic we are!) and there is tons to do in our suburb. We are close to the city like I mentioned, and close to the lake. We are only an hour and a half drive to SW Michigan where DH's grandfather's summer home is and it feels like a different way of life there. We absolutely love vacationing up there.

I also like that we are about 10 minutes from my parents and MIL and maye a half hour from FIL. I like being close to everyone! Makes for easy holiday planning :)

• Options
    Idealy one of those grand neighborhoods in the heart of the city.  The kind when you drive through you are so surprised that these houses are here and how quiet it is even though you are walking distance to everything.  Currently we are the standard suburbs and I'm ok with that.  We are about 25 mins from downtown and live in a great neighborhood.
  • Options
    imageMrsMichelleB:

I'm in the burbs just a few hops from the city. I like that it has a neighborhood feel to it without the traffic overload. I like that we can get to grocery, doctor, pharmacy, etc in 1-10minutes. 

I would prefer to be in the same idea, but a bit more spaced out. Granted we have a full acre of land surrounding us, I'd like my neighbors to not be directly across the street. I don't think I could live in the full-fledged country where the nearest neighbor was 5miles and it took minimum half hour to drive to get milk.  

That sounds close to my ideal.  I'm with you--I don't want to be so far out in the sticks that it's crazy inconvenient, but I'd love to have an acre or two.  Where we live right now, the houses are practically on top of each other.  If my next-door neighbors are having a conversation in the driveway, I can hear most of what they're saying in my bedroom.

• Options
    In a leafy city neighborhood somewhere in the midwest---like Chicago or Minneapolis/St. Paul.  God, I miss civilization where coffee shops stay open past 6! 
  • Options

I have two ... I am not living in either one right now. The first would be NYC. I absolutely love it there! The second would be a lake home in northern Minnesota. My ideal would be to spend the winters in NYC and move to MN in the summer. I should play the lottery more if this will ever happen!  Stick out tongue

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers my read shelf:
    Lisa (Ali1b1g+1)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imagear78:
    In a leafy city neighborhood somewhere in the midwest---like Chicago or Minneapolis/St. Paul.  God, I miss civilization where coffee shops stay open past 6! 

I think this is going to be my biggest adjustment moving out of NY...

• Options
    In the suburbs for sure!  We live on the west side of Madison, WI and it's more of the suburbs of the city.  Used to live in Duluth, Ga. which is also a suburb and loved it there!
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options

I live in the burbs and like the burbs.
    I wish I lived *on* a beach (think the movie "Beaches")
    I love the city but could never live there; we're 20 minutes away from it now.

But, I actually LOVE where I live and love my house... And my parents have a beach house so we spend weekends there during the summer... Best of both worlds.

• Options

imagear78:

Ooh, leafy--I like that!  That's one nice thing about our older suburb.  We're surrounded by trees.  We have some ridiculously obnoxious white trash neighbors on the corner (seriously, the cops are over there on occasion, and their yard looks like a dump), but they have the most magnificent maple tree in their yard and I always get happy when I see it in the fall.

• Options

I didn't know it when we bought it, but the house we have now is our ideal home.  It's a big old antebellum house, so it's just begging to be filled with a family.  It has an acre of land in our small town, which is great b/c we have a yard and pool and oodles of flowerbeds for me to work in.  It's 5 min. from work and the university and the elementary school, so gas prices don't affect us nearly as much as they use to (before moving, I drove 70 miles one way!). 

I would love to have land, but we have family that has land, so we're looking forward to "summers on the farm" in the future.  Plus, I grew up way out in the country with lots of land, and, while it is fun to explore and run wild, everybody was so spaced out that it was hard to have friends.

I also love the beach, but could never bring myself to buy property on it (Katrina, anyone?).  I think it's a great place to visit, but wouldn't want to take on that risk myself.  If we ever did, it would basically be a camphouse with absolutely no amenities.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would loooooove to live downtown. Either right on the waterfront or in what is called the "Back Bay" which is all brownstones. We'd have to have about 10 times more money than we do, though, and I'm sure my dogs would miss their yard!!! DH would hate it too, so with all of that combined it will probably always remain a dream.

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
    2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
    Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsMichelleB:

I'm in the burbs just a few hops from the city. I like that it has a neighborhood feel to it without the traffic overload. I like that we can get to grocery, doctor, pharmacy, etc in 1-10minutes. 

I would prefer to be in the same idea, but a bit more spaced out. Granted we have a full acre of land surrounding us, I'd like my neighbors to not be directly across the street. I don't think I could live in the full-fledged country where the nearest neighbor was 5miles and it took minimum half hour to drive to get milk.  

This.

Although I wouldn't turn down a beachfront property.

• Options
    We live in the suburbs right now but my dream home would definitely be in the middle of nowhere! I do love where we live no but a little more land/privacy would be nice.
    September 2011 Mom's Siggy Challenge- Celebrate! imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

We live in a farming community so it's not as rural as the country but we live in a small town. Grocery stores are 15 min away so not so out there. We do have a McDonalds, Dollar General, 3 banks and 3 gas stations in town.

I thought I would hate it when we moved here 2 yrs ago but it's not so bad. We have 3 acres, 2 of which are wooded so when there is follage on the trees we can't see our neighbors but the neighbors annoying dogs bark relentlessly in the winter when we are in our own driveway because they can see through the trees.

Have to get use to all the bugs that aren't so annoying or abundant in the city and wildlife. We have deer, moles, chipmunks, rabbits, ground hogs, raccoon (see them in the daytime), opposum (played dead in our garage), all kinds of birds and wood peckers (hide our small dog from the lurking hawks and owls), fox and we hear the coyotes at night oh and the skunk that sprayed our dogs... I'm sure there are more but that's all I have come across.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm a city girl, but my particular area of the city is sorta 'burbish. It's still got out the shopping and entertainment within minutes of me and great public transportation, but the homes are a little further apart and pretty leafy. Although there are some cookie cutter neighborhoods in our part of town too, and unfortunately that's where we are at the moment.

So I'm already in my ideal location, but we just need our ideal home now. I like older, in an established neighborhood, and lots of trees and yard.

I couldn't live in a small town or anywhere where it took me more than 5 minutes to run to the store. I'm spoiled in that way!

• Options
    In the middle of no where, more or less. We are just those kind of people. Right now we live in a plat in a small town, which isn't too bad, but a little too close for comfort, especially with our neighbors remodeling their house for 2 years and still going...
  • Options

imagePina:
    I live on Long Island and I must say I love it.  We are 10 minutes from the ocean and 5 from the bay, 45 minutes from NYC and about an hour from Montauk and the Hamptons.  Its centrally located for everything I want to experience and I love that we get to witness all 4 seasons.  DH talks about retiring elsewhere since it is so damn expensive to live here, but I won't budge! 

My sentiments exactly. I am about 20 mins closer to NYC, and I can't imagine living anywhere else. I loved living in the city, but with a baby it became seriously stressful. I like the burbs.  

• Options

I live in the burbs in a very cozy middle class neighborhood. We love our cute little "starter house", but we're already out of space, so we will be moving in the Spring of next year. My family has quiet a bit of property out in the wine country about 1 1/2 hours outside of St. Louis and ideally, we will build a house out there once the kids are out of school. In the mean time, our next purchase will have at least a 4-5 acre lot. I want some land! : ) Love the country life.

MJ. Born 9-4-2011. 2 Weeks Old Here. Photobucket
  • Options

I think growing up a stone's throw from the (pardon my bias) GREATEST CITY ON EARTH has had an undo influence on my choice for an ideal home.

I need to live pretty close to both a decent sized city and the ocean, so that limits my choices. Certainly, where I live now fits the bill, but it is way too expensive on Long Island. We are planning on moving to Charleston, SC, which is much smaller than NYC, but fulfills my needs for a city and it is really close to the ocean.

• Options

I love love love DC and couldn't imagine living in any other city, but there are two mini cities right outside of DC that I would prefer to live in.  They are still close enough to easily get into DC without driving, but have cute shops/restaurants that are easy to walk to.

DH and I also eventually want to live over in the middle east.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We currently live in the suburbs, but this is not our forever home. We both want to have more land around us....so we can't see our neighbors.
  • Options

I live a few blocks from the beach in the heart of an amazing city surrounded by mountains and 20 minutes to a rainforest. I love Vancouver and I love living in a big city. However there is not 1 house in our area that would even sell for less than 1 million dollars- and that is for an old 2-3 bedroom rancher. So, we pay more rent to live here- but it is worth it. The food, the yoga, the shops.etc... all amazing.  If I had the excess money, I would buy here.

My second home would be in hawaii or south america. Somewhere to escape the winter rain here- and I would really love to have fruit trees!! 

• Options
    We live in the suburb of Atlanta, which I like, good school system and all, but I'd love to live ON the beach. My SO would prefer a cabin somewhere.LOL
    Who will it be? William Jamal or Madison Rose? BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would be on a farm filled with animals!  Most would probably be rescues, and I would have at least 2 llamas.  They are my favourite animal!
  • Options

I moved to downtown Chicago when I was 22 and it was the right move for me at the time. I enjoy supporting local businesses, the diversity of a big city, etc.

But the older I've gotten, the more claustrophobic I've gotten as well. Chicago is just too densely populated for me. I also realized that feeling close to nature is much more important to me than I originally realized. Truthfully, I'd like to live in a rural area that's close to a major city. I know, too picky. We will probably end up in a suburban type area. 

• Options
    Is your dream home in a bustling city, in the heart of the suburbs, or in the middle of no where?  My ideal home is in the suburbs, on a cul-de-sac, complete with a white picket fence and everything! Where do you live now?  Staten Island Are they the same? It is considered most suburban of the five boroughs, but I would prefer something on Long Island, New Jersey, or even Upstate (where I was born).
  • Options
    We live 15 minutes north of san francisco and I definitely miss living in the actual city. But the schools there are crap and you can't get any space for under 2 mill. I think my ideal place regardless of where we end up is something with a yard and a friendly neighborhood but walking distance to some restaurants and shops. I love the sf bay area because we are close to the beach and the mountains.
  • Options
    I have two:  while I still am working, it's our current house.  Maybe a slightly bigger one in our same neighborhood, but I love our current house.  Suburbia that resembles Stepford.  Once I don't need to work anymore, it's a house that overlooks the ocean with direct beach access.  Ideally, in the outer banks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • Options
    OnwardOnward member
    imageamandaloren:

We live in a neighborhood where your neighbors house are pretty close. Not reach out your window and touch them close, but about 12ft away from each other.

We would love love to live on some property with about 5 or so acres. We want to be close to stuff, but not to our neighbors lol One day (years down the road) when we are finally able to sale our house we may build on some land:)

Pretty much ditto this.  We live really close to everything (I can walk to the mall and/or the grocery store, etc.), which is really nice, but it gets hectic, especially around Christmastime.  Plus we live in a college town, which is irritating in the fall (kids who are new to town don't know how to drive here).  We need to get a bit further out of town.  Our neighborhood is nice, but I need my space!

TTC #1 for 4 years with every trick in the book. IVF in October 2010= BFN
    Elliott Michael born 9/22/11
    Audrey Pauline 9/13/15
  • Options

I dont mind where I live it's in the middle of everything, Pretty much Suburbs, but only 15 minutes from DC, so I have the city if I want it, and I LOVE New York so I love that Its not too Far to drive too just a few hours. Smile

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imageMrs.K23:
    We live 15 minutes north of san francisco and I definitely miss living in the actual city. But the schools there are crap and you can't get any space for under 2 mill. I think my ideal place regardless of where we end up is something with a yard and a friendly neighborhood but walking distance to some restaurants and shops. I love the sf bay area because we are close to the beach and the mountains.

I <3 San Fran

• Options
    imagemollybloom:

imageMrs.K23:

I <3 San Fran

me too! It really is the best - even if I am a little biased.

• Options
    I would love to have a house on the upper east side in manhattan and a great house in suburban San Diego. Perhaps winter place in Colorado for skiing and a beach house on balboa island for memorial day, independence day, and labor day.

Currently we are living in exile about an hour north of downtown san Diego.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"