July 2011 Moms

PSA: Baby Daddy

Seriously. If you have a baby daddy that you cannot otherwise describe as your husband, boyfriend, significant other, ex, donor, favorite bartender or special friend then please, oh please, please call him your child's father. 

I know, I know, people can use whatever term they want. I don't mean to be the language police, but baby and daddy are just two nouns with no explicit connection. There is a girl in my birthing class that referred several times last night to her baby daddy and my eye twitched a little bit every time.

Do people not get how ignorant this term makes them sound? I don't care what circumstances led to the current state of any woman or the existence of any person, but how can anyone actually use this term with a straight face?

** This message brought to you by the fact that I'm done with the work I need to do on the computer and need to get my fat@ss up to do something useful, but don't want to. 

Re: PSA: Baby Daddy

• Haha, love this. I hate that term as well.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecolorschemer:

Do people not get how ignorant this term makes them sound? I don't care what circumstances led to the current state of any woman or the existence of any person, but how can anyone actually use this term with a straight face?

Agreed. 100%.  I automatically assume any woman that lets that phrase come out of her mouth is automatically broke, uneducated, and has absolutely no self worth whatsoever. 

Its not a crime to not be with the father of your child...but when women use phrases like that...it almost feels like it "cheapens" them.  I wish they had more respect for themselves and their child than to refer to their child's father (ex boyfriend/husband/whatever)  that way.  Not acknowledge a relationship with the child's father as an ex make it sound like they were just a big ho bag that got knocked up by some random dude!

Now, my BFF will sometimes use the term "sperm donor" when talking to close friends about her ex and sometimes even "baby daddy" as a joke.  But only when among very close friends and she says them in jest about her child's deadbeat father.  But she would never, ever use those phrases in front of a bunch of people she doesn't know in a class or at the grocery store or wherever! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageindytara:
    imagecolorschemer:

Agreed. 100%.  I automatically assume any woman that lets that phrase come out of her mouth is automatically broke, uneducated, and has absolutely no self worth whatsoever. 

Its not a crime to not be with the father of your child...but when women use phrases like that...it almost feels like it "cheapens" them.  I wish they had more respect for themselves and their child than to refer to their child's father (ex boyfriend/husband/whatever)  that way.  Not acknowledge a relationship with the child's father as an ex make it sound like they were just a big ho bag that got knocked up by some random dude!

Heck, I think "that dude with the Camero" is classier than "baby daddy." I've had some irresponsible errr... let's call them relationships in my life, but none of them robbed me of so many brain cells that I couldn't even form the words "child's father."

imageindytara:

Now, my BFF will sometimes use the term "sperm donor" when talking to close friends about her ex and sometimes even "baby daddy" as a joke.  But only when among very close friends and she says them in jest about her child's deadbeat father.  But she would never, ever use those phrases in front of a bunch of people she doesn't know in a class or at the grocery store or wherever! 

My friend use to call her mother the egg donor until she realized that her crazy mother's reputation was well established enough among friends that she could just use her first name. (Her mom was like sell your kids for crack bad, not insensitive comments about your weight bad)

I do have to admit that I sometimes call DH my puppy daddy.

• Personally, If you are going to public acknowledge a "baby daddy" then you might at well be politically correct and call him the sperm donor. 
  • I LOVE this post! And I feel the same way! 
    8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• imagecolorschemer:

Heck, I think "that dude with the Camero" is classier than "baby daddy." I've had some irresponsible errr... let's call them relationships in my life, but none of them robbed me of so many brain cells that I couldn't even form the words "child's father."

Big Smile  Agreeeeeeeeeeed! Yes On all of it...including the "irresponsible relationships" part....thankfully even in my drunken hazes that spawned many a TERRIBLE decision in college...I thank God I was smart enough to carry condoms.  Otherwise I may have ended up using a "that guy in the camaro" type descriptor.  Embarrassed Yikes!

Jesus I hope I never have a daughter....Indifferent

• imagehcdekarske:
    Personally, If you are going to public acknowledge a "baby daddy" then you might at well be politically correct and call him the sperm donor. 

Yes 

• My baby daddy and I, like, totes agree with your OP!!

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• I wish it were at least "my baby'S daddy" so it's grammatically correct.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know about you ladies, but every time I hear 'baby daddy' I think of that song that came out years ago.......anyone remember?
  • imageKELSOSK:
    I don't know about you ladies, but every time I hear 'baby daddy' I think of that song that came out years ago.......anyone remember?

YesYesYesYes

I'm in a youtube mood today!  For everyone's viewing enjoyment!  Stick out tongue

This is going to be stuck in my head all night now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_xaTbMYUM
  • Ha ha.  I refer to DH as baby daddy in jest only.  I do like the term "the dude in the camaro."
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKELSOSK:
    I don't know about you ladies, but every time I hear 'baby daddy' I think of that song that came out years ago.......anyone remember?

Haha - I remember it, but when I went looking for it I got sucked into the time-vortex of YouTube. Sad

• imageindytara:

imageKELSOSK:

YesYesYesYes

I'm in a youtube mood today!  For everyone's viewing enjoyment!  Stick out tongue

AWESOME! thanks! didn't even think of youtubin' it!  I've never seen the vid! ha!

• imagecolorschemer:

imageKELSOSK:

Haha - I remember it, but when I went looking for it I got sucked into the time-vortex of YouTube. Sad

Yeah, Youtube does that to ya! I know! Stick out tongue

• imageKELSOSK:
    imageindytara:

imageKELSOSK:

YesYesYesYes

that was great! Thanks for taking me back to high school!  Smile

AWESOME! thanks! didn't even think of youtubin' it!  I've never seen the vid! ha!

• Not that this is the same thing but I sometimes say "hey, baby daddy" when I see DH. He calls me baby mama. It's a joke, of course.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"