June 2011 Moms
Options

XP: UTI in late pregnancy?

XP from 3rd tri: 

Has anyone had a UTI in the later stages of pregnancy? I am 39 weeks and think I may have my first one ever (in pregnancy).

I already have a regular appt. tomorrow and they can't squeeze me in today so just wondering what kind of treatment I may be looking at...? I know antibiotics are the usual treatment, I just don't know anything about taking antibiotics so close to d-day.

Would they induce labor for a UTI this late in the game?

Re: XP: UTI in late pregnancy?

• Options
    I'm 38 weeks 2 days.  I got a call after my last appointment to tell me that I had tested positive for a UTI (I had no idea, which seems weird to me since I had a UTI before pregnancy and it was very uncomfortable).  My Dr. prescribed some antibiotics, so I guess they are safe.  Because mine was so mild I just cleared it up on my own (lots of water, etc.) so I never filled the prescription.  If it had been bad I would have taken the antibiotics.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I assume they'd give you antibiotics.  You'd receive antibiotics at the hospital if you were positive for Group B Strep, so I'm not sure why antibiotics would be a problem in general right now. 

I can't see them inducing labor over a UTI; that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.   

Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAmberLiz99:
    Because mine was so mild I just cleared it up on my own (lots of water, etc.) so I never filled the prescription.  If it had been bad I would have taken the antibiotics.

You should always take the antibiotics.  The symptoms can go away but the bacteria may still be present, and turn into something much worse, like a kidney infection.  This has happened to me (when not pregnant) - I wasn't sure if I had a UTI, so drank a bunch of water to flush things out, symptoms went away.  A week later, I was in the hospital with terrible pain in my side, high fever, vomiting, etc.  At first, they thought it was my appendix.  Nope, just a kidney infection, caused by an untreated UTI.   

Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am 39 weeks and 5 days - and was just diagnosed on Monday with a UTI. I had one really bad one at the beginning of my 2nd trimester. This one is milder but it needs to be treated, they gave me a short run of antibiotics (Cipro) to take for 3 days. They won't induce because of a UTI (although I had the same thought at first) there are a bunch of antibiotics that are safe for pregnancy so it's better to just treat it. I can't imagine labor with a UTI!!

Good Luck to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I feel much better now (well not better in the UTI sense, but not freaking out about treatment/possible inductionSmile)
  • Options

I ended up in the hospital last Saturday at 39w3d with really bad pressure and pain down there and ends up it was caused by a UTI. They didn't induce labor and sent me home with a 7 day prescription for an antibiotic (I'm blanking on the name of it) and I'm feeling so much better now! I won't be completely done with the antibiotic when I have the baby (I'm being induced Friday morning), so I'm not really sure what they'll do at that point. I'm thinking I might still have to be hooked up to an IV with antibiotics. :(

Hope you feel better soon!!! UTIs are no fun especially this close to the end!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"