Northern California Babies

What accoutrements do I need...

..I feel pretty prepared in terms of clothes and big things for the baby, but what do I need in terms of dealing with gas, diaper rash (we plan to CD), powder, lotion, soap, etc. You know all the bottles of things...

On my list: 

gripe water
Mylicon Drops

I know there is a lot more and I need a list...soon. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What accoutrements do I need...

• Baby Tylenol

Rectal Thermometer

Baby Wash (I like the Method ones)

Lotion (Again I like Method)

Diaper Cream (Burt's Bees is our fave)

Hmmmm...that's all I can think of at the moment.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here is an article about cloth diapers and rash cream. Should be helpful.

https://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm

Do you know what you are doing for wipes yet? Will you be making your own solution?

Also, do you have one of those grooming kits? You will need the nail clippers much sooner than you would think! 

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Loading the player...
  • Stuff we got and never used... powder, oil, LOADS of diaper cream (really... one tube has lasted us 2 years, but maybe we're just lucky), lotions (DS had eczema for the first year, so we could only use Aquafor). 

Things we did use... Tylenol, Advil, gas drops, teething tablets, Aquafor, bath soap, thermometer, humidifer and I think that's about it.

• Not something you mentioned... but how are you on BFing supplies?
  • imageMy.ABC.Life:
    Not something you mentioned... but how are you on BFing supplies?

Not...besides a pump and a my breastfriend. 

I have some stuff still on my registry, but am probably missing things.
    disposable breast pads/guards
    The lansinoh gel pads

We're moving next weekend and have been so swamped/consumed with that and work that I am really worried I'm going to come home with a baby and have nothing. I scheduled a day to go shopping with my mom next week and want to have a good list so I don't panic.

• I'm old school and use all the J&J staples - love the smell of them!

Definitely a grooming kit - those baby nails can be razor sharp!

Not sure what kind of diaper cream you can use with CD, but I started with Butte Paste and have never looked back, and D has never had a rash.

Do you have any disposables on hand in case baby girl is <8lbs?

And you'll need a syringe or medicine dropper for the Gripe Water - you can get one from L&D before you come home.

Also ask L&D for a nipple shield in case you need it.  That way you don't have to run out and get it.

• Don't forget to have some pads on hand for you. :)
  • imageSJBride05:
    Don't forget to have some pads on hand for you. :)

Thanks! Those I have. My cousin gave me a bunch and another nestie gave me a bag of PP supplies (pads, tucks, ice packs, etc).

• yep, pads are a necessity for you :)

do you plan to CD right away? We waited a few weeks and I'm so glad we did, and during that time, we used Desitin and A&D for diaper rash. When E does break out with a bit of diaper rash, we stick her in a disposable for a few hours with Desitin AND A&D (she broke out in a bad rash at one week old and this is what the pedi recommended and it did wonders) and it clears right up.

Aquaphor is also our best friend, we go through a ton of it, E gets super dry spots on her legs and face, and it was awesome for her baby acne. I don't think the Baby Aquaphor is any diffn't than the regular Aquaphor.

We like Aveeno baby wash.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • imagelegaleagles:

We're moving next weekend and have been so swamped/consumed with that and work that I am really worried I'm going to come home with a baby and have nothing. I scheduled a day to go shopping with my mom next week and want to have a good list so I don't panic.

(I know this is an impossible request but) Try not to worry about that too much.  There are always last minute things that you never knew you needed that all of a sudden become essential once Baby arrives.  And "essential" things that you'll never, ever use.  So... no point in worrying, right?  ;) 
    Besides, you have no idea how enjoyable a family trip to Target can be w/a newborn.  I'm being dead serious.  Put Baby in the cutest socks possible (b/c everything else will be covered by a blanket -no matter how hot it is outside, lol!) and push the stroller up and down the aisles waiting for old ladies to coo over your sweet little one.  It will feel so good to have an excuse to get out of the house!  :) 

• Oh, and most important of all (!), will you have cable TV at the new place??? 
  • I'd go light on this stuff and buy as you need.  You can't use Tylenol or advil right away and that stuff expires so I'd wait until baby is old enough before buying. 

My must have list in retrospect would have been Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter in the hospital bag as I much preferred that to any lanolin product or other nipple cream.  Nail clippers/file for baby.  California Baby calendula cream as a catch all cream for any redness including mild diaper rash (DS has barely had any diaper rash ever and we rarely use cream on his tush at all as a result).  Vaseline for the belly button if you need to keep it moist or for little scratches from their finger nails.  Mild shampoo of your choosing (we did Burt's Bees).  Mild lotion (we use Cetaphil cream on his body).  For cradle cap I used olive oil very successfully, and it would make a nice mild massage oil too.

The hospital should give you a thermometer and suction bulb thingy.  :)

And that's it. 

• imageMrs_Shmoopie:
    Oh, and most important of all (!), will you have cable TV at the new place??? 

Heck yeah! A pouty lip and a couple of tears during an extra hormonal day and he caved. We may not keep it forever (though my mom will have a say since she'll be watching LO at our house when I return to work) but we'll have it while I"m on leave and that matters. 

Is it sad that I CAN"T WAIT?

• imageladipale:

yep, pads are a necessity for you :)

do you plan to CD right away? We waited a few weeks and I'm so glad we did, and during that time, we used Desitin and A&D for diaper rash. When E does break out with a bit of diaper rash, we stick her in a disposable for a few hours with Desitin AND A&D (she broke out in a bad rash at one week old and this is what the pedi recommended and it did wonders) and it clears right up.

Aquaphor is also our best friend, we go through a ton of it, E gets super dry spots on her legs and face, and it was awesome for her baby acne. I don't think the Baby Aquaphor is any diffn't than the regular Aquaphor.

We like Aveeno baby wash.

We are going to use disposables at first...just to get settled and not have to worry about a wash routine right away. 

• imageMrs_Shmoopie:
    imagelegaleagles:

(I know this is an impossible request but) Try not to worry about that too much.  There are always last minute things that you never knew you needed that all of a sudden become essential once Baby arrives.  And "essential" things that you'll never, ever use.  So... no point in worrying, right?  ;) 
    Besides, you have no idea how enjoyable a family trip to Target can be w/a newborn.  I'm being dead serious.  Put Baby in the cutest socks possible (b/c everything else will be covered by a blanket -no matter how hot it is outside, lol!) and push the stroller up and down the aisles waiting for old ladies to coo over your sweet little one.  It will feel so good to have an excuse to get out of the house!  :) 

In the middle of working on a brief and I just freaked out...don't know why...I just flipped out in my office. And it will be good to give my MIL things to do - go shopping for me if I'm not up to leaving...or an excuse for me to go out and get away from the family for a while. 

Thanks!

• imageMrs_Shmoopie:
    imagelegaleagles:

Target trips were the only way I got out of our stiffling hot house the first few weeks after DS was born.  I will have a soft spot for Target forever for that.  Icy cold Starbucks, tons of baby gear, one stop shopping for most other stuff too. 

• I think most of the PP posted good lists, the only things I can think of are:

rubbing alcohol tabs for the belly button

Weleda calendula soap and lotion, as DS had excema

I used tiny nail files instead of clippers, as I was scared to clip and when I did, I cut DS's little finger.

• imageMrs_Shmoopie:

Soooooo true!!!!

• CelynCelyn member
    the only thing I pretty much ever use for diaper rash anymore is raw (cold pressed, not expellier pressed) coconut oil.  I don't tend to use powder, lotion or soap on newborns.  Coconut oil is great for cradle cap, eczema, and "nipple cream" too.
  • imageCelyn:
    the only thing I pretty much ever use for diaper rash anymore is raw (cold pressed, not expellier pressed) coconut oil.  I don't tend to use powder, lotion or soap on newborns.  Coconut oil is great for cradle cap, eczema, and "nipple cream" too.

Ditto.

And it's great for your skin and hair too! It's amazing stuff! 

• imageCelyn:

Agreed. I have only used it as nipple cream thus far but it's amazing!

I'll add the Medela nipple shells and plain tea bags for the first week or two of BFing.

• imageMy.ABC.Life:

Stuff we got and never used... powder, oil, LOADS of diaper cream (really... one tube has lasted us 2 years, but maybe we're just lucky), lotions (DS had eczema for the first year, so we could only use Aquafor). 

Things we did use... Tylenol, Advil, gas drops, teething tablets, Aquafor, bath soap, thermometer, humidifer and I think that's about it.

Ditto this.

Also, I'd get some of those gerber cloth diapers and use them as burb rags/everything rags.  We used those a LOT with N.

• I have a full set of California Baby both sensitive and calming and calendula, and a trial set of Weleda Baby and Mustella. I love Weleda (and I am spelling it wrong). I have not used any of it yet except the non scented CB body wash/shampoo for bath time. Baby's umbilical cord fell off at 5 days, so she has had real baths already. Her skin is dry. She needs a lotion or the coconut oil, but I haven't done that yet. I will do that tomorrow. 

I hadn't realized that coconut oil was so amazing for everything else besides nipples. WHICH OMG. Get coconut oil.

We gave up on disposable diapers early on. My baby is too long and thin for the damn things to stay up. They were low riders causing major blow out and leakage EVERY diaper. We have not had the problem since she was born. The hospital gave me plenty of them too. I think I still have half a pack or so that I will be passing on soon. 

I also have gripe water, which is on your list. 

I have the snot sucker thing and little colds saline drops (both per EmmyBs recommendation). I got my thermometer and bulb thing from the hospital. 

I second Madame (can't remember her whole screen name sorry C!) on the Medela things. I stopped using them when my milk came in. But they were a god send at first.

Oh that and nursing tanks.  

I think that is all. Have fun with it. I have gone out nearly every day since we got discharged from the hospital. I struggle with being home. I start feeling trapped. I am needing to come up with projects to do because I need to stay home so I heal all the way... 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"