Toddlers: 24 Months+

Leaving 2 year old for 4 nights - help me! Long

I usually lurk here, but have to post my anxiety to "anonymous" people so that my own family and friends don't make fun of me.

My DH and I have our first trip alone since 2 year old DS was born scheduled in July. We will be gone 4 nights and DS and 6 year old DD will be spending 2 nights with my parents at their house and 2 night's with DH's parents in our own house. While I am incredibly excited to go on the trip, I am scared that I am going to spend the whole time worrying about DS. He is in his "clingy" stage and is definitely a momma's boy. He wanders around the house sometimes when I am out of sight saying "where's momma? where's momma?"  It's not like we are never away from each other - I work all day, so he is at daycare and my DH and I get babysitters so that we can go out....but, we haven't been gone overnight yet.

I will say that while my own parents are very loving grandparents, they are sometimes high-anxiety with my kids and panic about the little things (small bumps, crying, etc). My Dh's mom is much more calm and "in control" so I will feel better when they are with her at our house for 2 days.

I could go into elaborate detail about all of the crazy scenarios that run through my head of what will happen while I am gone (him waking up in the middle of the night and not being comforted because I am not there, wandering the house and not finding me, etc) but I am just worried that he will be inconsolable.

What is wrong with me? I am not usually like this? I don't worry about 6 year old DD because she is old enough to understand that we are leaving and will be back in 4 days.... and she can't wait for us to go. Smile She is much more independent and never went through this clingy stage.

Please tell me how you have gotten through this or any advice you have. And, if your advice is "SUCK IT UP - HE WILL BE FINE AND WON'T EVEN MISS YOU ONCE YOU'RE GONE"  - that is VERY good advice. I need to hear that.

TIA

Re: Leaving 2 year old for 4 nights - help me! Long

• GEM529GEM529 member

I was just gone for 10 days (5 on a work trip and 5 on vaction with DH)... it was hard, but we all got through it just fine.  DS is a mamma's boy when I am around, but as soon as I left he was totally fine.  When DH left to meet me my parents stayed at my house to watch DS.  We had skype and did that a few times, but I think it helped me and DH more than DS.  DS was just like Hi Mom and Dad... Bye Mom and Dad gotta go play.  Now when I got home on Friday he didn't leave my side all weekend... like he actually had to be touching me or he would freak out.  I am thinking he wanted to make sure I didn't leave again.  Once Monday came he was fine with going back to daycare.

DS also went to stay at my parents house in early May without me or DH and he was fine there also.

It sounds like he will be fine especially since he will have his sister around.  Have a great trip it will go by really fast!

imageLilypie - (ztG7)
  • He will be so excited about spending time with grandparents he won't even notice.  Have fun. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • He will be fine, and so will you.

Have a great time!  Your DS certainly will!

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • DH and I went on our first trip last year when DD was 22 months old. She had so much fun with my parents that not only did she not miss us she also gave up her Nuk. We had planned on having her give it up upon on return thinking it would take a while but DD was so busy and then so exhausted at nap/night that she didn't even ask for it. I called to check on her once while she was awake and she said "I busy" and hung up the phone. Tongue Tied So I know I missed her far more than she missed me. Prior to said trip she was clingy so I was (happily) shocked by her reaction. He will be just fine.

• imageBrewtowngrl:
    He will be so excited about spending time with grandparents he won't even notice.  Have fun. 

agree.  DS is so excited to be somewhere different and have someone's attention 24/7 like grandparents do that he will enjoy this time.  Have fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you everyone!

And, yes, truthfully I am probably more worried that I won't be ok than worried about my DS. Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"