Military Families
Options

Dh left for Korea on Saturday.

Grrrr....Let the countdown to mid tour start.

DS-11 years, DD-3 years, DS-born 9/15/10, DD-9/09/11
You're just giving birth now, you're not mother Earth now

Re: Dh left for Korea on Saturday.

• Options

Aw, I'm sorry! Where is he being stationed? We just got back from a two-year tour at Camp Casey. Korea is now command-sponsored, have you looked into going with him? I know command sponsorships on some of the posts are frozen right now, but it's something to look into. If you have any questions about Korea, let me know!

Hang in there; you'll be amazed at how quickly the time goes. He should be able to talk with you often, minus time in the field. Get Skype if you don't already have it. It's a great way to keep in touch, especially over there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm in the Air Force and my time here in DC isn't up, so me going with him isn't an option. :(

We've been at this for a while. I was 7 months pregnant with DD when he did a 15 month in Iraq. Just sucks, that's all. Sucks even more when you have added more kids to the mix.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Command Sponsorship!! It's worth a shot, they run the slotting different now then they did before but it's still worth a try.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He can't command sponsor me, I'm not a dependant.

• Options

Ok not trying to be mean or anything so please do not take it that way. 

Tech. there is no mid tour leave here.  (this is coming from the view of the Army and from your post I couldnt tell if he was Army or Airforce so take it with a grain of salt if you will).  But for the Army this isnt like a tour of Iraq or A-stan, you just do not get leave like that.  You have to have the leave to be able to take it.  And all plane tickets are the responisblitlity of the soldier and most commands will not sign off on leave without having at least a  confirmed flight back to Korea with a normal flight service and not the PE.  Also if you the SM does not have 30day they can not take that many unless they get proper authro. and end up going into the hole, and most commands are not approving because of the short handedness (is that a word).

So with all that said if you are not Army disregard because I know the Airforce works different. But I did want to put this out there for those that read here because I have hear alot of soldiers and families say that they will get the 30days mid tour leave and the Army pays for it just like a deployment. Then they get really upset when they can not afford it or the member does not have the leave.

• Options
    I've been in the military for 15 years. I'm aware. I'm AF and he's Army. He has 30 days of leave and we can pay for plane tickets. 

• Options
    imageMallardDucky:

Tech. there is no mid tour leave here.  (this is coming from the view of the Army and from your post I couldnt tell if he was Army or Airforce so take it with a grain of salt if you will).  But for the Army this isnt like a tour of Iraq or A-stan, you just do not get leave like that.  You have to have the leave to be able to take it.  And all plane tickets are the responisblitlity of the soldier and most commands will not sign off on leave without having at least a  confirmed flight back to Korea with a normal flight service and not the PE.  Also if you the SM does not have 30day they can not take that many unless they get proper authro. and end up going into the hole, and most commands are not approving because of the short handedness (is that a word).

So with all that said if you are not Army disregard because I know the Airforce works different. But I did want to put this out there for those that read here because I have hear alot of soldiers and families say that they will get the 30days mid tour leave and the Army pays for it just like a deployment. Then they get really upset when they can not afford it or the member does not have the leave.

Actually...there is a "mid-tour" for SM on a dep restricted tour in Korea. We tagged it under nonfunded EML.  Yes, I had to have the leave banked, pay for my own tickets and provide the itinerary with my DA 31, but I definately went on my "mid-tour" leave.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagenorvelln:
    imageMallardDucky:

Actually...there is a "mid-tour" for SM on a dep restricted tour in Korea. We tagged it under nonfunded EML.  Yes, I had to have the leave banked, pay for my own tickets and provide the itinerary with my DA 31, but I definately went on my "mid-tour" leave.

The point though is you had the leave, you paid for it, you just didnt expect the Army to give it to you.    I have seen alot of soldiers and spouses get upset because it just wasnt given to them and they had to pay for it.   What people also do not realize is mission requirements come first and if there is no room for people to take leave then do not get leave.  H has his leave dissapproved for a change of command cermony, then again because N. Korea started acting stupid.  He got leave (well con leave) only after having surgery. 

• Options

It also depends on the quality of the leadership within the unit.  At the time when I requested mine, we were undergoing some issues that potentially could have had an impact, however, my CoC was pretty good and I went back stateside.  Macht Nichts.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My husband is i Korea too :(  He's @ Osan AFB
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"