South Florida Babies

New Mommy Needs Help! Vent

Hello Girls, 

Im going nuts with my newborn, she's 4 weeks old and does not sleep!

She is drinking 4 oz of milk every 3-31/2 hours but does not want to sleep, she fights her sleep.

We go down the checklist, check the diaper, burp her for eternity, and nothing she will just stare at you no crying at all.

Im the type of person who can run on 2-3 hours of sleep a day, but its getting to a point, that she's breaking me down.

Hubby helps with the feedings and diaper changing after 7pm when he gets home from work, till about 1am. But after that it's just her and I. Mind you while he watches her i try to cook, shower and nap.

Another thing is she doesn't like the crib, swing, bouncer!

I think she has Mamitis!! And is a little spoiled!

Im going to the Pediatrician today for her 1 month apt, so lets see! 

Thank you girls in advance for any suggestions, before she goes on Ebay for sale! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New Mommy Needs Help! Vent

• Hopefully her pedi would help you. But hey atleast she doesnt cry, when mine was little she would cry for hours. Also i have read and heard you cant spoil a newborn so soon.

GOod Luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you tried white noise? I have heard that running a vacuum, faucet, playing ocean sounds, etc...mimics the sounds in the womb, so maybe that would help soothe your baby to sleep?
  • Loading the player...
  • We have used a homedics sound machine for both girls. It works like a charm to not only help them relax to sleep but stay asleep as well! Also, try to limit the stimulation during this middle of the night feedings. I know its hard but try to have the lights dimmed and the TV off. This was a biggie for both of my girls. It sucked at first because its boring being up by yourself without the TV for company but the TV was hindering instead of helping and kept my little ones up for way too long when all I wanted was to go back to sleep.

GOOD LUCK!

• She's too young to be spoiled. Try white noise definitely a good suggestion. Do you swaddle?

Will she fall asleep on top of your chest?  

image image

• Try the "Happiest Baby on the Block"...def. saved me with DD during her reflux / colic period in the beginning. Just rent or buy the DVD rather than reading the book! Or google the 5 S's....suck, swaddle, swing, side, shhhh...worked like a charm :)
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ditto everything! Happiest Baby on the Block DVD is great and both of my boys have white noise machines in their rooms. Definitely talk to your pediatrician too. It is very important that you get sleep. Is there someone that can help you out during the day so you can nap?
  • If you have time check out the Infant Message classes in South Miami Hospital, they are great and help baby to sleep!!

I personally have not been able to attend since my baby girl i sdue in August, but i have talked to other mami's and they all highly recommend this class.

Hope this helps :)

• If you have time check out the Infant Message classes in South Miami Hospital, they are great and help baby to sleep!!

I personally have not been able to attend since my baby girl is due in August, and you must attend the class with your baby but i have talked to other mami's and they all highly recommend this class!! a lot of ladies told me they noticed a hughe difference.

Hope this helps :)

• Thank you for all your responses.. She will sleep on top of me or my DH all day and night. The swing has the white noise and she will sleep there for about 5 mins. Today, I attempted her crib with my ipod and lullabies, again slept for a good 30 min nap. We have tried the heartbeat sounds and dimming the lights in the room. She will sleep on top of us, but not in her bassinette or pack and play! We will continue and i already ordered the book. Thank you girls

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay, so I have to also admit that my oldest was a tough sleeper and (to me) proof that even an infant can get spoiled when they like something you repeatedly do.

We did two things that work for us first...she CIO (cried it out) for the first time at about 4 weeks. It worked. She started soothing herself to sleep. She was not a thumbsucker or a pacifier sucker so she had to learn to put herself to sleep. It was HARD but it worked.

Oh....and by the time she was 8 weeks old she was a belly sleeper. Another no-no to most but in the end, it worked for us and you do what you need to do.

Add that to the sound machine and Sophia was sleeping 8pm to 8am by the time she was 9 weeks old. God's truth.

• we found that the only way abby would sleep was in her car seat.  She spent the first 2 months of her life sleepign on the floor of our bedroom (and then in her crib) in the actual infant car seat.  Our pedi told us whatever worked!  And it did, we got sleep, she got sleep (and sttn) and we were slowly able to move her from crib to sleeping on her own.  Whatever works for you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"