Upstate NY Babies

PSA - anchor your TVs and furniture

I had a small shower last night with some of the moms from my playgroup here.  One of the moms that RSVPd yes ended up not being able to make it.  Her 22 month old daughter had to be taken by helicopter to Children's Hospital in Little Rock after pulling a 60in flat screen TV over on her.  She is doing remarkably well today and is alert and talking, but has a skull fracture very close to her spine and a broken nose.  It's so super scary!  The poor little girl will have to wear a neck brace for 8 weeks.  Please use this as a reminder to check your homes and anchor things that might be unsafe.  And please keep this family in your thoughts. 

Re: PSA - anchor your TVs and furniture

• Yikes! How scary! We have NOTHING anchored.. I never really thought about it..
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • imageMelissaSue81:
    Yikes! How scary! We have NOTHING anchored.. I never really thought about it..

I never did either until Gavin pulled the dresser over on him a few months back.  And even then - we anchored that dresser and that was all.  DH needs to go out this weekend to get things to anchor the TV.

• Loading the player...
  • that's awful

I'm pretty sure I have an opened but never used flat screen tv lock like the one below if anyone local wants it.  It's free just page me and I'll make sure I really still have it.  We ended up with a different one for our TV and never returned it. 

• imageorangeluck:

that's awful

I'm pretty sure I have an opened but never used flat screen tv lock like the one below if anyone local wants it.  It's free just page me and I'll make sure I really still have it.  We ended up with a different one for our TV and never returned it. 

Where did you find this?  I'm thinking that's what we need for ours.  If you still have it, I'll pay you for it.

• When my cousin was in elementary school (like k or 1st grade), cubbies fell over on a little girl and killed her instantly.  She was instantly crushed in front of all her classmates.  Very important to anchor stuff.
  • Don't forget to make sure your oven is anchored too.

The main floor he plays on, the oven is the only thing to anchor.  TV is on the wall and everything else is lot to the ground and wide-based.

In his room, the tall dresser is anchored, but not the changing table/dresser.  I'm going to work on that this weekend.  Thanks for the PSA.

I'm glad that it looks like the little girl is going to recover.  That is beyond scary! 

Bianca image.
  • wendyjwendyj member
    That is so tragic. We put safety straps on our TV a while ago. I'm so afraid that with his jumping around it would fall over, so when I saw them in a catalog, I got it immediately.
  • Yikes, how scary! Our tv in the playroom is wall mounted, but his bedroom furniture is not. I need to do this! Thanks for the reminder!

Glad the little girl will be ok! 

• That's so scary! I'm happy to hear that the little girl is doing ok. I honestly never even thought about this. We anchored the book shelves but not the TV. It's going on DH's to do list. Thank you for posting this.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Yep, all our furniture is either really heavy material or anchored down. DH has done emergency surgery on at least 2 toddlers in the past year who pulled down large tvs on their heads and fractured their skulls/had brain injury.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What about the old style tvs?  We have one that is so heavy, I can't even move it.  DH lifts and he even needed someone to help him carry it in the house.  I could see how the thin one can fall, but the real big boxy ones?

We need to do her dresser too.  I told dh back when we were doing the nursery, but she is literally never in her room except to sleep, so we let it slide. I'll have to bring it up to him again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"