Health & Exercise

Sugar-Free products

Good morning all! Does anyone know if sugar-free products are safe during pregnancy?  I'm a fan of sugar-free jello and cool-whip at night and just want to make sure that it's safe before eating it now.  Thanks!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sugar-Free products

• It is perfectly healthy and I ate it through our my pregnancy.  GL
  • Thank you!!  I love sugar-free jello and cool whip at night and I ate it the other night without even thinking about it - of course I then worried about it...  Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • you shouldn;t go crazy with the artifiicial sweetners pg or not, but I think moderation is the key with anything.  aww, I miss being a paranoid pg'er

GL!

• I wouldn't touch an artificial sweetener before I got pregnant and I sure as hell wouldn't subject my unborn child to them either.

Google each one and decide for yourself what you're willing to put into your body (pregnant or not). 

• Yeah I sort of agree....I believe that the most natural and whole foods are best for your body, and for your baby.  I am trying to stop eating any sort of processed food altogether. Americans have poor diets.  We have created "food products" instead of real food and since they are so cheap, easy to buy, and taste good, that is what a majority of people consume. The problem is that it is not good for you. Yes, people say "everything in moderation" but the problem is that everything is processed these days, or have synthetic materials put into them.  That is why my husband and I have gone back to drinking regular milk, using real better instead of "I can't believe it's not butter" etc.  Anything hydrogenated is not good for you as well. Check out the book "In the Defense of Food".  Also, dairy and meat are the two main things you should try to buy organic because they have the most hormones pumped into them.  I am not one of those psycho crazy only eat organic people, haha...but once you realize what you are putting into your body it's like oh my gosh......your bodies just aren't meant to digest those things. 
  • Sugar-free means artificial sweetener which is bad news for preggo moms, nursing mom and kiddos.  If you want a treat, go for the real thing (in moderation)...it's light-years better for you than the sugar-free stuff.   
  • I gave up diet coke at first but then developed GD. So I went back to them and the doctors said it was fine in moderation. ?
  • I agree that it is best to avoid artificial sweeteners.  I have been trying to go more natural even before TTC.  I think the avg. american diet is full of too many artificial dyes, flavorings and processed food.

Although in moderation artificial sweeteners are prob fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely better to avoid in my opinion, just have a little bit of the real thing instead. Somehow, since the introduction of artificial sweeteners, low fat food products and processed food, Americans have gotten less healthy and more obese. Turns out, it is so much worse for you.

Micheal Pollen (In Defense of Food, The Omnivours Delima) has a great article in last Sunday's NY Times magazine, you can find it online still I think. It really boils down what he writes about in his books, definitely puts things in perspective!  

• I'm trying to cut down on artificial sweeteners now that I'm pregnant.  I may still have them occasionally, but I'm trying not to.  I believe there have been studies linking aspartame to low birth weight, although I haven't read the studies myself.  I just figure it's not a natural food, so I might as well just use real sugar instead of splenda in my tea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"