January 2012 Moms

Dear Poop: I miss you.

Anyone else already experiencing crazy constipation? I had bad enough m/s to be put on zofran, but I've heard it can make you constipated. Not to mention being pregnant and prenatals can make you constipated. Sigh. I'm going to my doctor Tuesday, and I will be asking about it, but anyone know of anything that helps relieve it? I researched it, but it seems I'm already doing most of what I can. I had no idea it is this painful to not poop! I have about seven days stopped out right now and I want to die. I was extremely regular before being pregnant, which makes me think its not my diet. I'm drinking more. I've been drinking grape juice all night but i just threw it all up . I can't win.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dear Poop: I miss you.

• If it is really bothering you, you can call your doctor first thing in the morning and see what they recommend for you to take to get things moving along again. Don't wait until Tuesday and remain uncomfortable. Our doctors are there to be called and asked questions, no matter how trite or stupid we feel for asking them.

Heck, I called my doctor the moment I realized I lost my sex drive and asked why, how, and what can I do to get it back! Get used to calling the doctor in between visits, trust me on this!

FWIW, I was given an entire "Welcome Kit" and included was a sheet with common complaints and the things I am allowed/recommended to take to relieve said complaints! Ask if your doctor's office has something similar as a go-to sheet.

the LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18
    My Blog || BFP Chart
    11/27/10-BFP, EDD 8/9/11 || 1/4-7/10- missed m/c 9wks
    4/25/11- BFP , EDD 1/5/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagelaceyann2008:

If it is really bothering you, you can call your doctor first thing in the morning and see what they recommend for you to take to get things moving along again. Don't wait until Tuesday and remain uncomfortable. Our doctors are there to be called and asked questions, no matter how trite or stupid we feel for asking them.

Heck, I called my doctor the moment I realized I lost my sex drive and asked why, how, and what can I do to get it back! Get used to calling the doctor in between visits, trust me on this!

FWIW, I was given an entire "Welcome Kit" and included was a sheet with common complaints and the things I am allowed/recommended to take to relieve said complaints! Ask if your doctor's office has something similar as a go-to sheet.

Thank you for your advice! I will probably call tomorrow. I did get such a list, but I didn't see constipation on it :/

• Loading the player...
  • imageKelmarwil:
    imagelaceyann2008:

If it is really bothering you, you can call your doctor first thing in the morning and see what they recommend for you to take to get things moving along again. Don't wait until Tuesday and remain uncomfortable. Our doctors are there to be called and asked questions, no matter how trite or stupid we feel for asking them.

Thank you for your advice! I will probably call tomorrow. I did get such a list, but I didn't see constipation on it :/

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ask your doctor before just taking anything because 1, we don't know your entire health history. 2, we don't know what you can and cannot take, and 3, your doctor may have their own reasons why they don't approve of this or that but....

on my list (just dug it up for you!) says it's safe to take surfax or fiber choice to ease constipation but PLEASE talk this over with your doctor before you take it. I cannot stress that enough!

the LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18
    My Blog || BFP Chart
    11/27/10-BFP, EDD 8/9/11 || 1/4-7/10- missed m/c 9wks
    4/25/11- BFP , EDD 1/5/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MAMAxBMAMAxB member
    lol - I love the title of this.
    I had this pretty bad a few weeks ago.. I found just drink 1 cup or AJ a day really helped!
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• OMG I'd been having this issue and it was killing me! Its just sooo uncomfortable to be so backed up not to mention the constant gas and bloat. I'm not on anything other than my PNVs either. What did it for me was prune juice. I'm still not as regular as I was but it got things moving some. Hope you feel better, let us know if you find something that works!
  • I am right there with you. I think the Zofran is what really did me in. It is terrible.
  • I got this page in an email shortly after reading your post. Maybe something will help someone here! https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/eating-well/week-10/smooth-moves.aspx?xid=nl_YourDailyNewsletterfromWhattoExpect_20110610
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married my love- May 10, 2008
    Emergency surgery for ovarian torsion - October 2010
    TTC November 2010 
    BFP May 3, 2011!
    Lathan Quinn born December 18, 2011
    TTC June 2014 
    BFP September 8, 2014! 
    EDD May 15, 2015!
  • imageAluenna:
    Both my pharmacist and my doctor said taking colace is fine. I was taking the 3 a day dose until I started going again, and now I just take 1 a day to kind of keep ahead of things. I'm not exactly normal, but it helps enough.
    I'm about to resort to this.  The cramps from constipation are worse than any other pregnancy pain i've had so far! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I miss pooping, too. I'm on zofran, which I know is making it worse. My doc actually told me to stop taking my PNV for a while, since it leads to more nausea and constipation - and I'm throwing up all the time, especially at night, which is when she recommended taking my PNV to help with nausea :) I'm going to try some apple juice today to see if that helps at all. No advice really, but lots of sympathy here!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • It's so funny, because I am the opposite.  I have battled chronic constipation for the last several years.  Not fun, but at least there are good drugs for it.  Obviously, I can't take any of those drugs now, so I was really concerned from the get-go, after hearing so many horror stories about constipation being so bad during pregnancy.  Apparently, a switched flipped inside of me, because I've been more regular than I have been in years!  I almost wonder if it was due to some sort of vitamin deficiency that is now being made up for in my pre-natals.  Who knows.

One thing have found that helps immensly, and again, check with your doctor first!, is psyllium husk (in the capsule form).  But I have had heard from many sources that this is "generally" safe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pre-pregnancy, I'm not regular by any means, but I miss pooping too.  Sad
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • I've been having the same problem, just not to the extreme that you are. I found an article about research that was done on eating fruits. If you eat fruits on an empty stomach (like for breakfast or before your lunch), it's supposed to help you run more smoothly. I actually tried it out last week and within about three hours, I was goin!! I haven't kept doing it because eating the fruit on an empty stomach burned a little for me, but it's definitely worth a shot if you're trying go without taking any kind of meds. Good luck!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 5/5/2011, EDD 1/12/2012

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

My BFP Chart:

• Wow I am impressed with the amount of attention this post got. And I appreciate the advice! I know somethings are better dealt with your doctor, but I had a feeling since I've heard so much about constipation being a problem that there might be some other ladies out there in the same situation. Right now I'm drinking prune juice mixed with grape juice because drinking straight prune is not possible for me.  I will be trying to get medication from my doctor too. Good luck to everyone else dealing with this! I also found out part of it was just gas o.O And there are several things on my "list" that I can take for that.
  • I'm having the exact opposite problem - pretty much pooping three or four times a day.  I used to be very regular, so this is pretty annoying.  Why can't there be a happy medium for us?  I have heard from people that apples help, but if it's the zofran, the food probably isn't enough to get it out.  GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"