September 2011 Moms
Options

Water Intake! HELP!!!

I just read a post about what people are eating, and a couple women are drinking around 150oz of water!  Which I think is amazing and am envious.

What are your tricks for getting the right amount of H2O!  I have the HARDEST time drinking enough water. I am lucky if I get 80oz a day!  I need to drink more, I am just not thirsty....  I never drank alot (of anything...water, soda, juice etc..) even before PG.

BUT I need to start drinking more H2O...the main reason is I am traveling from Detroit to Denver in a couple weeks (for 2 weeks) and I need to increase my water intake to handle the change in altitude (sp?).

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!  Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Water Intake! HELP!!!

• Options

I was barely getting 100oz in until I got one of those insulated cups with the straws built in. They say it is 24 oz. but I measured and it's closer to 20 oz. so I make sure to drink at least 6 of those 20oz cups a day, closer to 8 on hot days or when I am just really thirsty.

You HAVE to force yourself and always have water with you, always.

ETA: My doula and midwife told me to aim for no less than 100 oz. per day.

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I cut all juices or lemonade with about 2/3 club soda.  it's super refreshing and pretty much all water.  Also use ice.  Cold water is so much yummier than just out of the tap.  And eat watermelon.  it's mostly water and also has tons of nutrients and is really low calorie.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hate drinking water and have had a tough time with that while being pregnant... I don't want to keep drinking juice cause it's just un needed sugar! I find that drinking it cold (with ice cubes) or adding Crystal Light makes it much more managable! my goal is for a gallon every day.... usually get to about 3/4 of that..... I carry a water bottle around at work everywhere!!!
  • Options

I started carrying around one of those insulated cups with a straw too.  It's amazing how much more water I drink that way.  I still don't get as much as some of the other ladies on this board, and I honestly haven't been told a specific amount by my OB.  So I'm really not shooting for a certain amount, just trying to drink as much as I can. 

I aim to get at least the 64 oz minimum for non-pg people, and then try to have a cup or two above that.  That's WAY more than I was getting pre-pg, and I haven't experienced any swelling or anything (even a week at the beach) so I figure I'm doing pretty good.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I carry a water bottle with me everywhere and just sip all day(also started putting a lemon or lime slice to add a little bit of flavor to the plain water). I'm rarely thirsty, but I just keep drinking through out the day anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    quezzoquezzo member
    I have a water bottle with a straw too and it is 32 oz. I drink at least two of those a day and lately I have been getting about 3 of them in for 96 oz. 150oz is just amazing to me and I don't think I could do that. 
  • Options
    luckily I have no problem drinking water...we have a water cooler here at work that I just keep refilling my plastic bottle with.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I agree that it is very easy to always have a water bottle with you that you can re-fill. I usually bring one from home to work and then keep re-filling it all day. I usually get about 100 oz./day, but sometimes I don't get that much. I at least get 64 oz. though. Prior to getting pg, I never drank water. Now, I love it which could be why it is easy to me to drink so much.

My doc never gave me a set amount that I should aim for. I've only had them tell me once to drink more water and I knew I needed to drink more water that day anyway. I can always tell by the color of my pee, LOL. Once it starts to get too yellow, I know I need to up my intake.

• Options
    I have a refillable bottle I take to work too, but it is not insulated.... I think I will try the insulated cup with a straw.  I do notice I drink more through a straw. Thanks gals!   Yes  You're the best as usual! 
  • Options
    I've said this before, but purchasing a double walled tumbler with a straw was a game changer for me.  Seriously, I drink a TON of water---all because I'm sucking it through a straw.  Legit, it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE! 
  • Options
    imageveronicafvr:

I was barely getting 100oz in until I got one of those insulated cups with the straws built in. They say it is 24 oz. but I measured and it's closer to 20 oz. so I make sure to drink at least 6 of those 20oz cups a day, closer to 8 on hot days or when I am just really thirsty.

You HAVE to force yourself and always have water with you, always.

ETA: My doula and midwife told me to aim for no less than 100 oz. per day.

I got one of these too (double insulated) from Walmart and I definately noticed that my water intake went up. For some reason I seem to drink more/often with a straw? Either way, I noticed a big difference with this vs. a regular cup/water bottle. Goodluck! Smile

• Options
    Ditto the ladies who said they drink more from a straw. I aim for at least a gallon of water a day (64 oz) and get close to 90 most days. For me, my motivation is that it helps my blood sugar from going too high, so I drink at least 8-12 oz with every meal. I also have one of those giant hospital straw cups that holds 28 oz that I keep filling all day. DD loves her straw cup and thinks that every time she drinks, Mommy should, too, so that helps ;)
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    agree with the straw for sure!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"