May 2011 Moms

meconium in fluid

i am posting from my phone so please forgive lack of caps, formatting, etc.

i came into the hospital this morning to be induced.  they started  the pit, which got me frequent  contractions, but nothing strong.  doc came by to check and i was three cm.  at that time she broke my water and we found out there is meconium in the water.

the doc isnt concerned, but there will be a perinatologist present when i deliver, i believe she said.  

i guess my question is, has anyone else had this and had everything be ok?  it is worrying me so much right now.

Boy #1, born 6/5/2011
Boy #2, born 8/27/2014

Currently... Pregnant with mo/di BOY TWINS!  Due September 15.  Latest induction will be 37w.

Re: meconium in fluid

• I had meconium in the fluid also. It actually caused us to stay in the hospital for a few extra days because DS developed an infection as a result. He had to spend a few days in the NICU connected to an IV of antibiotics.

All of that sounds bad but it is pretty common and very routine. I could tell the doctors weren't worried so I wasn't. It was just more of a pain in the a$s to have him in the NICU. Everything turned out fine and he is perfectly healthy now. 

Good luck. I am sure it will be okay. 

• I had meconium in the fluid, but there was not too much concern at first. After I had been in labor for 30 hours and was only 1 cm, they told me that there was a slight concern for infection since I was not progressing and the meconium was there... So I would not really worry right now.

Hang in there!

• Loading the player...
  • There was meconium in the fluid for Eliza as well. The only thing they did differently was start me on pit so I wouldn't labor too long. My water broke at 2-ish and they started pit at about 7. I started pushing at 1 and she was totally fine when she arrived. They didn't take her away or anything other than check her out. Its not really uncommon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I had meconium in my water and other than Davy spitting it up for a day or so he didn't have any adverse reaction to it and we went home after about 36 hours. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had meconium in the fluid with Ben.  The original plan was to labor at home as long as possible, but when my water broke the MW told me to go ahead and come in to be monitored.

I wasn't having contractions and they weren't worried- they were going to let me sleep through the night and then start pit in the am, but I started having contractions.

When Ben was born NICU was on the other side of the curtain that blocks the view from the door, but Ben was crying on his own so we never even saw them. 

Everything was fine and very uneventful.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • They found meconium in mine at about 8cm.  The pediatrician was in the room to look her over when she was born, but Charlotte was perfectly fine. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same here...the only thing is I couldn't hold her right after birth b/c she had to be suctioned, but otherwise we went home as scheduled.  No NICU.  It's fairly common.
  • mmkayemmkaye member
    I had this and it was all okay and no complications at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the same issue and pushed him out in 35 minutes. However, LO had respitory issues and ended up with TTN and a stay in the NICU for 3 days. He's perfect now :)
  • I had heavy meconium in my fluid all through labor and everything turned out just fine.  As long as your LO's heartrate stay strong, there should be nothing to worry about.  The pediatrician took her right after she was delivered for suctioning and to get checked out, but DD had no complications at all.  If they're not worried, you shouldn't be either.

Good luck!  I hope everything goes well!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"