February 2011 Moms
Options

How much should a 14 week old baby eat??

My baby was big when he was born, 9 lbs 9.05oz! so his appetite was never a problem. Now at 14 weeks he weighs 20 pounds!!

I do BF (60%) and supplement with formula (40%). Yesterday I wrote down the amount he ate throughout the day and it added up to 45 oz!!! Is that normal? Is it too much? Can a baby overeat at this age? I am scared his getting too chubby... yesterday I put on him a 6 months overall and I had the hardest time taking it off him. Must say he's a happy, healthy baby. Maybe all that baby fat is good for that:)

Would appreciate if you share your experience/opinions.
Thanks,

Felicia

Re: How much should a 14 week old baby eat??

• Options

45 ounces seems like a lot.  My DD was also 9 lbs 9 oz at birth, and she weighs just under 15 lbs now and she is also 14 weeks.  She eats about 30 oz a day, I think (she's EBF so I'm not always sure how much she eats).  But I would ask your pedi.  It depends on so many factors: your genetics, how tall DS is, etc.  I wouldn't think that at this young age, the baby would be able to overeat without spitting up, but I don't really know.

Oh, and my DD is wearing 6-9 month clothes as well, so I wouldn't go by that to determine if your DS is growing normally.  Honestly I'm wondering how on earth you are still fitting him into 6 month size at 20 lbs.  My niece is only 22 lbs and she's 18 months.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am pretty sure recomended amount is 30oz.- 36oz.  or somewhere in there.  My LO was getting big and packing on the pounds too.  He would eat a 4oz. bottle every 1.5-2 hours .  We up it to 6 oz. at a time and pedi said to start feeding him cereal so he had some "empty calories" it has worked WONDERS.  He gets a bottle when he wakes up, then a couple hours later he gets oatmeal.  He doesn't get hungry for about another 2 hours.  We are now down to 5 6oz. bottles a day.  I would talk to your pedi about your concerns.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's hard to say for my situation b/c DS is EBF.  I can speak to the amount he eats at DC, which is typically an 8 hour day...~15-20oz.  Provided LO is healthy and growing well, no worries....enjoy the baby chub- I know I do!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD weighs 17 lbs and eats about 30 oz a day.  She wears 12-18 month clothes the 12 months won't fit much longer.  I have talked to my pedi several times about her eating and he isn't concerned just tells me to go with it, but I'd definitely talk to your pedi as many factors play a role.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lucas is a little guy and is only 10 1/2 lbs right now. When he breastfeeds, he gets 3 oz ( I have a scale) and when he gets a bottle of BM he gets 4 oz.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

I have a 17 lb chunk too.  I'm planning to talk to the pedi about her weight at her 4 mo appt coming up next week.  All the times I've been in previously, they've never been concerned since she very rarely spits up anything - maybe once a week?

She must not be very long in the body though because she's still wearing 3-6 month clothes and a couple of 0-3.  

• Options
    vflipovflipo member
    DD is 25% for weight, has been since birth. I remember reading 24-32oz a day was normal. She takes 24. She's 12lbs right now at 14weeks. 45oz is definitely a lot.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Options
    My baby was born 9/10 & is now about 17 pounds.  He eats 32-40 oz per day.  My dr said if he eats more than 42 oz I should call her.  Use the Barton Schmidt scale (google it) & you'll see that sounds about the right amt, still you should call your dr b/c it's beyond 42.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"