Houston Babies
Options

POLL #3: Kids & tv

Re: POLL #3: Kids & tv

• Options
    I tried to introduce my kids to some old school cartoons.  Lasted through the first two uses of stupid and idiot and we went back to Yo Gabba Gabba.  Sure, there was more storyline in the Smurfs, but at least with Gabby, they aren't learning to insult people and they are dancing around like goons rather than sitting on the couch like zombies.
    imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options
    RaeAntRaeAnt member
    Better and worse, it all depends. I think there is a lot of crap out there, but I've been seeing some great stuff on the Sprout station that really seems to make learning fun. All that was really educational and fun when I was growing up was Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact, Sesame Street, School House Rock and maybe a few others. The cartoons were better IMO, but then I also hate the computer generated ones now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have self-induced a "no cable" policy in our home. This really limits the amount of TV show exposure here. OTOH, we homeschool, so we get a lot of educational programs and episodes from the library and our other HS friends.

Example: right now our kids are going through an archaeology unit. We have Discovery's Dinosaur DVD set for my 7-11 year olds, Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaurs for my Pre-K-7 year olds, and Bill Nye's Dinosaur DVD set...

Additionally, if our kiddos want to watch any newer movies, we require that they first do a similar report. 

Example: my 11 year old wanted to watch Leonardo DiCaprio's Titanic.. so she first did a report on the same. Likewise, our 8 year old wanted to watch the first and second Transformers before the most recent one came out, so she has to a report on Robot technology throughout history until now. When she is done, her reward will be to be able to watch all three in order. :)

• Options
    imageSageBeginnings:

We have self-induced a "no cable" policy in our home. This really limits the amount of TV show exposure here. OTOH, we homeschool, so we get a lot of educational programs and episodes from the library and our other HS friends.

The window of non-cable shows I allow my children to watch is very small. They usually ony watch tv when we get home in the afternoon and I am getting dinner ready. The shows on PBS at this time are still a little too old for them and then it goes to news at 5. I love that I can turn on Nick Jr at any time and there are NO COMMERCIALS and always toddler appropriate shows.

I agree with PP that there is a lot of crap but I think toddler/preK shows are way better than what I watched growing up. My fave was Tom & Jerry and now I cringe at the violence, not to mention racial and gender stereotyping!  

• Options
    imagerayskit10:
    imageSageBeginnings:

The window of non-cable shows I allow my children to watch is very small. They usually ony watch tv when we get home in the afternoon and I am getting dinner ready. The shows on PBS at this time are still a little too old for them and then it goes to news at 5. I love that I can turn on Nick Jr at any time and there are NO COMMERCIALS and always toddler appropriate shows.

I agree with PP that there is a lot of crap but I think toddler/preK shows are way better than what I watched growing up. My fave was Tom & Jerry and now I cringe at the violence, not to mention racial and gender stereotyping!  

I couldn't agree more Rayskit.  I watched way more crap TV when I was a kid (could price anything thank you Bob barker and knew all the characters on AMC, OLTL and GH)  DH has recently introduced DS to some of the very old school Disney cartoons.  most of them would never make it the cut on Nick Jr or even Disney today.  

For what it's worth I don't think the hours of TV that I watched had much impact.  I didn't turn in to a blob or crazy person because of the violence.  I played outside a lot still and had tons of friends.  TV isn't the only reason kids aren't performing the way "experts" expect them to.  So much of that has to do with parenting. 

• Options
    imagealmond1123:
    imagerayskit10:
    imageSageBeginnings:

I couldn't agree more Rayskit.  I watched way more crap TV when I was a kid (could price anything thank you Bob barker and knew all the characters on AMC, OLTL and GH)  DH has recently introduced DS to some of the very old school Disney cartoons.  most of them would never make it the cut on Nick Jr or even Disney today.  

For what it's worth I don't think the hours of TV that I watched had much impact.  I didn't turn in to a blob or crazy person because of the violence.  I played outside a lot still and had tons of friends.  TV isn't the only reason kids aren't performing the way "experts" expect them to.  So much of that has to do with parenting. 

I totally agree. We've let Reagan watch some of the older cartoons on Boomerang/HUB and she has lost interest with most. After watching a Tom & Jerry with her I knew it was best if she didn't watch it. So while I cringe at Yo Gabba Gabba & Dora the kids actually do learn from them. Reagan often tells us to Vaminos and has tried a few foods thanks to "Try it, you'll like it" : )  I am however quite happy that old Disney movies like Cinderella are a favorite around here. While I love the Pixar movies for Disney and they are amazing I am so glad that my kids love the old non fancy ones!

Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCindyandScott:
    imagealmond1123:
    imagerayskit10:
    imageSageBeginnings:

I totally agree. We've let Reagan watch some of the older cartoons on Boomerang/HUB and she has lost interest with most. After watching a Tom & Jerry with her I knew it was best if she didn't watch it. So while I cringe at Yo Gabba Gabba & Dora the kids actually do learn from them. Reagan often tells us to Vaminos and has tried a few foods thanks to "Try it, you'll like it" : )  I am however quite happy that old Disney movies like Cinderella are a favorite around here. While I love the Pixar movies for Disney and they are amazing I am so glad that my kids love the old non fancy ones!

Oh I agree on this one.  We are a Jungle Book, Aristocats, 101 Dalmatians, Bambi family.

• Options

imagealmond1123:

Yes and no. Kids today overall watch A LOT more tv than we did. Not my kids and your kids, but there are kids who spend a whole Saturday in front of the tv, or a whole weekend for that matter. They do not play outside. Ever. They also play game boys and stuff like that for hours on end, secluded. That stuff wasn't even available when I was a kid. I had an Atari and no one else in my family could be watching tv to play it. So, yes, the fact that they spend all day in front of the tv is a parenting issue, but TV and its content are also to blame. I mean, if these kids sat on their couch all day reading or spent all day drawing, it would have a different effect on them long term.

• Options
    imagerayskit10:

I love PBS for educational programming (a lot of the videos from the library we use are from PBS), and we do love the series of wonderpets, dora, and diego... my kids were too old for yo gabba gabba and the like, though. I agree about the Tom & Jerry... worse yet, Ren and Stimpy (gasp!!!)

• Options
    My kids LOVE Tom and Jerry.  The violence doesn't bother me.  I mean yes, when I watch it, I realize it's much more violent than I remember, but the kids know that we don't jam our friends through a mail slot or take a cheese grater to their bums. ;)  
  • Options

imageNanner:
    My kids LOVE Tom and Jerry.  The violence doesn't bother me.  I mean yes, when I watch it, I realize it's much more violent than I remember, but the kids know that we don't jam our friends through a mail slot or take a cheese grater to their bums. ;)  

Ha! Exactly!

But, to the original questions, I still think that there is better programming now. While T&J is fun and acceptable, there is a wider range of options. I will say, though, that the racial stereotype episodes are no go. I don't know how often they even show those anymore, but my kids would not be allowed to watch those. 

• Options
    imagerayskit10:

imageNanner:

Ha! Exactly!

But, to the original questions, I still think that there is better programming now. While T&J is fun and acceptable, there is a wider range of options. I will say, though, that the racial stereotype episodes are no go. I don't know how often they even show those anymore, but my kids would not be allowed to watch those. 

Oh, the racial stereotypes!  I still recall even as a kid being mortified at some of the ethnic characters they had on Looney Tunes.  I mean, I understand that the 30s and 40s were very different times, and I recognize that it existed as a part of American culture, but holy moly.  If Warner Bros. made those today, they'd get their asses sued out of business!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"