September 2011 Moms
Options

I want to kick my ob- weight gain issues

Some of you might remember that I had hyperemesis in the 1st tri and part of the 2nd. My doctor told me I had to start gaining weight ASAP, and had me chugging ensure between meals. I had lost 7 lbs, gained it back quickly, then went on to gain about 1-2 lbs per week since around 14 weeks. In total I've gained 20 lbs (from my pre-pregnancy weight). At my last appointment my ob lectured me about gaining weight too quickly and told me to not go over a total gain of 25 lbs for the whole pregnancy. She went so far as to tell me I would get arthritis in my knees if I didn't stop gaining. So I have 14 weeks to go, and can only gain 5 more lbs.  I'm so incredibly pissed and confused. I was skinny to begin with, and I feel great.  I don't know how I can possibly not gain more than 5 lbs, when my baby still has to gain 5-7 lbs herself! Grrr. I just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks girls.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I want to kick my ob- weight gain issues

• Options
    Oh my gosh! Does your OB have multiple personalities? I think 25 lbs isn't much at all and a hard # to aim for unless you are overweight to begin with. Trust yourself and your body, 20 lbs is about where I am at too and I think I have done a great job so far. Grrr let's key her car!
    ~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Ummm wtf???  I definitely remember how sick you were during first tri (I was right there with you) and I can see from your siggy pic that you are obviously thin.  I don't really get why your doctor would say that.  Do you go to a practice with more than one doc?  I would speak with one of them about your weight gain and see what they say. 

I'm obviously not a medical professional, but I think you're fine and I'd probably ignore your OB.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SkyBeeSkyBee member
    I can't believe an educated doctor would limit your weight gain to 5 pounds! How in the heck are you supposed to do that without restricting?
  • Options

I got a really hard time from mine yesterday too. I've gained 30, but I also had just lost 30 right before getting pregnant, so it makes sense that its bouncing back on quickly. I cried in the car the whole way home.

But even mine didn't try to tell me not to gain only 5 for the whole rest of the pregnancy. He didn't want me to gain any more than 2 over the next 4 weeks, and I thought that was kind of extreme even.

I'm so sorry for your frustration.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had posted a couple weeks ago about my doctor reprimanding me for gaining 12 pounds at the 23-week mark because of the "chance" of gaining too much weight.  My opinion: I'll do what I damn well please LOL!  I was thin to begin with too, and I think I'll loose it pretty easily once LO is here.  Eat away, I say!  I love food way too much right now to restrict myself Big Smile
    Wild horses on the beach (Outer Banks, NC) <a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/stephiejo87/?action=view
  • Options
    Don't feel bad. With my first pregnancy I gained 58 pounds. My doctor gave me a bit of a hard time about it, but didn't worry too much.  I lost it all within 4 months of delivery.  Not recommending you shoot for that high a number, but your body knows what it is doing. Let it take care of itself and don't let your doctor get you down. 
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I just got back from my 24 week appointment and I have also gained 20 pounds. My doctor told me my weight gain looked good, so I'd wanna kick your ob too! I don't think you have anything to worry about!
  • Options
    valzeevalzee member

Jeez, what's with our OBs making us feel horrible about ourselves? I thought they were supposed to be on our side! I have already gained 22 pounds and got a mild lecture for it at my last appointment, I'm just going to stick to the 1 pound a week goal, but if it goes over that I'll just deal with it. I'm certainly not going to restrict myself, and every once in a while I just need ice cream, dammit!

Try not to let it get you down, like the PPs said your body knows what it needs. 

• Options

imageeortman:
    Don't feel bad. With my first pregnancy I gained 58 pounds. My doctor gave me a bit of a hard time about it, but didn't worry too much.  I lost it all within 4 months of delivery.  Not recommending you shoot for that high a number, but your body knows what it is doing. Let it take care of itself and don't let your doctor get you down. 

I also gained 58 with my first pregnancy and lost it. The only thing my doctor ever said was "well, the more you gain, the more you have to lose." I lost 30 within 24 hours of giving birth. Like she said, your body knows what it is doing.  

• Options

oh boy- what mixed messages.

From your pic I can see that you are tiny to start with- I wouldn't worry. From what I have seen here most women who started out on the low end of average have gained between 15-20lbs at this point- and they all look amazing and healthy.

• Options
    I saw a stand- in OB yesterday since mine was called out for a delivery and she told me my 17 lb weight gain was something to watch and try not to go over 25 lbs total. She also said she'd be perfectly fine with me not gaining ANOTHER pound. Umm, this kid has to get bigger, so I don't think that's possible. I'm not a heavy girl either, prepregnancy I wore a size 12.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageTchrJen24:
    I saw a stand- in OB yesterday since mine was called out for a delivery and she told me my 17 lb weight gain was something to watch and try not to go over 25 lbs total. She also said she'd be perfectly fine with me not gaining ANOTHER pound. Umm, this kid has to get bigger, so I don't think that's possible. I'm not a heavy girl either, prepregnancy I wore a size 12.

I think our OB's are a lot alike! I was a size 8 pre-pregnancy and my doctor told me that I wasn't at my "ideal" weight and to try to only gain 25 pounds so it will be easier on me afterwards. At my 20 week appointment I had gained a total of 9 pounds, and he wasn't pleased. I have my 25 week appointment tomorrow and am worried what my gain will be and what he will say this time :0/

• Options
    i thought the normal weight gain was 25-35 lbs... i've gained 16 in all by my 23rd week my doc was very happy about it
  • Options
    Thanks for the reality check girls, I'm gonna try to not let it bother me and just continue to eat healthy and not worry.  I gained 50 with DS, but lost it all in about 4 months. And I'm petite and wore a size two pre-pregnancy, so I seriously doubt I'll be getting arthritis if I gain a pound a week! 
  • Options
    WTF? Seriously? I lost about 20lbs due to Hyper G (I had it really bad too, I'm glad that you're feeling better btw!) and I've managed to gain it all back, but I'm only just at my pre-pregnancy weight now, they said that as long as I only gain about a pound a week from here on out I should be just fine (and that if I gain slightly more or less that'd be fine too). I was slightly over weight before I got pregnant, so I had 20lbs to loose.
  • Options
    Yuck. Inconsistent advice is very confusing and its worth another conversation, either via phone over the next few days or next time you go in. What he said doesnt sound realistic. As far as I know, all the literature says that if you are of average weight to begin with, 25-35 lbs is totally fine, dont know why he'd use the lower end of the range for you as an absolute. Trust your body, you know how it went with your son..... 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Holy Cow!!! Well I keep gaining away, this is the most I have gained with any of my previous pregnancy. Doctor didn't seem concerned with my +35 lbs and said to definately not diet but didn't limit me or make comments about where I should be. Honestly, you were thin to begin with and if you research pregnancy weight gain you will find that the 25-35 lb weight gain is for women who are normal body size to begin with so you have at least another 15lbs to be in the average and smaller women are allowed to gain more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

You know your body better than the Dr. This post made me realize how lucky I am to go to a large practice and seeing multiple OBGYNs throughout the pregnancy, I don't get stuck with one person's ideal of what pregnancy means for my body. Good luck hon & you looked amazing pre-preg so I wouldn't worry at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"