October 2011 Moms

Woo...Kidney Stone Story! (Felt like sharing..)

So Monday I was off from work, and so I slept most of the day, on and off. Around 6:30, DH and I woke up, (he works over night so this is normal for him.) and we had time to snuggle on the couch before he had to get ready for work. I had this feeling of having REALLY BAD trapped gas and around 7:50, it got really, really bad. I was immobilized from the pain.

Eventually I was able to breathe and move. Hubby was worried but I told him it was probably just gas and so he continued to get ready for work.

By the time he left, I was acting very funny. I was beginning to doubt it was just gas. The pain was intense. I kept making jokes about how if labor pain is that bad, I don't know if I could go through with it! He left for work saying to call and he'd come running home if I needed him.

I took a shower which felt great. During, however, I decided to better be safe than sorry and to call my doctor's office for their On Call line. Before I called, I started to panic and imagine all these horrible things. The pain was very great and it would go away and then return stronger...so I thought maybe I was going into preterm labor. I've never been in labor before so who knew, right? So of course I'm imagining ..like my placenta rupturing or something to that extent... or just something that would make me have to have my baby and him not surviving. It took everything in me to calm down and not jump to conclusions, Now that everything is said and done, I think I actually did a great job of keeping calm.

I called, still sounding panicked because I had to say the words, "I might be in labor." followed by "22 weeks" when I was asked how far along I was. Saying that broke my heart in someway. The nurse paged the doctor on call who called me about 5 minutes later. I told her what I knew, that whether or not it was labor, it was still something bad. She told me to go to the hospital and she would call ahead for me to let them know I was on my way.

I called my hubby and he returned home about 15 minutes later. I got right in his car and within about 30 seconds I needed to barf....and did, all over my pants...lol. I laugh about it now... I also rolled down the window but his car is very short (Hyundai Tiburon if that means anything to anyone) and I was in too much pain to really reach up and get my head out of the window completely to puke, so a LOT of the puke flew all over the car door both on the outside and inside..and his back seat (I didn't want to pull over because I just wanted to be at the hospital ASAP). The mess was comical afterward..in that just-thankful-everything-is-okay sort of way.

It's funny how very quickly the maternal instinct kicks in. I know mine kicked in basically the moment I learned I was pregnant as I'm sure most women do. And once you start feeling regular movements..it skyrockets. All I could think about was my baby and if he was doing okay. I concentrated and tried to feel him moving as I was breathing through the pain that I felt. I felt nothing. Still, I remained as calm as I could.

At the hospital, they were expecting us. I only had to fill out two sheets of information which at the time was a nuisance because the entire time I could barely breathe... but at the same time, it was then I finally felt my baby move and this brought instant relief!

The hospital staff was amazing. I'm very happy this was already the hospital we had chosen to give birth at. I even stayed in a Labor, Delivery & Recovery room, so I got a pretty good idea of what things will at least look like when I have this kiddo.

My DH was also amazing. I couldn't possibly be more in love with that man. 

Anywho, they tested my blood, urine, PAP smear, gave me an ultrasound and checked baby's heart rate. It was determined quickly that what was happening to me was not labor and not even truly pregnancy related as baby boy was doing just fine and dandy, floating around in my tummy, possibly only feeling the stress I felt, which I tried to keep minimal. 

Once the blood test returned, it revealed a high white blood cell count which means I was fighting off some sort of infection. They told this to one of my OBs and she told them to keep me over night which is when I was moved to a LDR room. DH went home to get a few things and returned about an hour later.

The entire time in the hospital, I puked three times, for a while it appeared I wasn't even keeping water down, so they hooked me up to an IV and gave me something for the nausea through it as well. The pain continued to come and go but whenever it came back, it was less intense than it had been at home. Something I've failed to mention until now is that the pain was primarily on my lower right side, strongest on my backside. The location of the pain was the only thing that had be doubting labor before we got to the hospital. 

It was determined that I probably have a kidney stone floating around in there, so I was prescribed antibiotics.

Throughout the night, I was checked on and eventually fed apple sauce which I managed to keep down. DH and I got crappy sleep but hey, it's a hospital. We slept from maybe 5 to 6am and then 9:30 to about noon. I was discharged right around 12;30 by my direct OB who I had JUST SEEN on Friday so it was sort of weird to go from being perfectly fine to thinking I was in preterm labor lol. 

I'm doing fine now. Occasional pains, hours and hours apart now. Once I've taken a few more antibiotics over the next couple of days, I'm sure the pain won't return at all. I still feel baby moving around lots. I love this little boy, he always moves when I start thinking, "Gosh, I haven't felt him in a while, I hope he's still okay." Then he'll kick or squirm and I feel instant relief. 

My mother called me a few hours ago and said she had spoken to my older sister. Apparently, she had the saaaame thing happen to her when she was pregnant with her first. Right around 5 months just like me. I find that so weird but I guess it makes sense as we are sisters. She was also given antibiotics and then was just fine and dandy. The only difference is she had to drive herself to the hospital alone and stopped several times along the way to puke, lol. 

ANYWHO I just felt like sharing. I didn't share anything with anybody from work. Just family and a couple of friends who live in different states. ... So I guess I felt like writing about it. Sorry for the length but thanks if you read through! :)<3 

I'm just very thankful that everything is okay, especially baby boy. I also laugh at how crazy I was at the start of it but I think it's normal to jump to crazy conclusions! It's only the beginning, too, lol, as little ones are bound to drive us all nuts. <3

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Woo...Kidney Stone Story! (Felt like sharing..)

• I read every word and I'm glad that you're feeling better. I would freak out a little bit too. Especially if it was my first baby and I didn't recognize labor pain... I might even freak out with my second if that happened!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Ouch! Ive never had kidney stones but I hear they are every painful.  Glad that the pain went away and your little one is ok
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for reading! Yes, it was excruciating lol. It'll be fun to compare it to labor pains, if they can even be compared. But hey, I got to practice some breathing techniques, haha!
  • i heard kidney stones feel very similar to labor ....
  • Glad you are feeling better.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so glad you are feeling better!! That is scary....

I went to the dr last thursday for sharp pains and they did 2 hours of testing to say "it could be kidney stones" go home and drink fluids until you feel better or go to the ER if it's worse. I was bawling as I left and could barely drive but less than 24 hours later (and a TON of fluids) I passed 2 stones. I could feel the pains move as they started their way out....it's insane how much those tiny things can hurt!

• I have had 4 kidney stones, so I know the pain is NO fun!  I am glad you were able to make it through with some comical perspective.  This is one of the things I am afraid of happening to me.  Will I mistake labor for a kidney stone or vice versa?  I guess the best bet is to go to the doctor. 

I am so glad you are okay now!!!  

• imagesuad1987:
    i heard kidney stones feel very similar to labor ....

Ack! That horrifies me. But I sort of figured it might be similar, if not way worse lol. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"