Austin Babies

Why does Abby still have a low grade fever?

My mind is run down from 3 in a row of nights in the ER. I'm also emotionally exhausted from having attended baby Maggie's memorial service in the middle of it all. Help me think this through.

Abby told me when we got home today "Mommy, I think I still have a fever". The kid is right. She's 99.9 and actually feels a little warm. No other symptoms. Saturday she was 100.4 but normal temp Sunday. I've only been using the temporal scanner but I periodically scan myself and DH/DD and we do not have fevers. Just Abby. Then I realized she had a low grade temp last week, possibly starting the week before that?? I seem to remember she was 99.8 but I sent her to the last day of MDO anyway because that's not really a fever. Both girls and our sitter's daughter have had runny noses on and off recently.

She still pees in the FP Froggie potty in her room at night - I don't think she has a UTI. I'm pretty good at detecting those on sight and smell alone. It seems a little late in the season for strep and she'll usually break 101 for that. Sinus infection? I'm absolutely calling for an appt tomorrow if nothing more than peace of mind.

For the first time in my entire life I think I understand what people mean when they say they were afraid to see the doctor because they were afraid to find out what was actually wrong. I'm absolutely terrified the pedi will do a CBC on her and find out she has leukemia or something :(

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Why does Abby still have a low grade fever?

• imageTaytee:

For the first time in my entire life I think I understand what people mean when they say they were afraid to see the doctor because they were afraid to find out what was actually wrong. I'm absolutely terrified the pedi will do a CBC on her and find out she has leukemia or something :(

Awww, hugs mama.  It's not that.  That's your nurse brain running wild.  ;)  Any chance it's the ears?  The runny nose is usually a sign with my kids.  Are there any molars at her age?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No, no!  It'll be something simple, something I have no clue about, but something that you would have thought was obvious had you not been mentally, physically and emotionally spent.  Try and relax tonight, and KUP on her dr. appt. tomorrow.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Totally no cancer coming your way but I completely understand thinking like that. I do it all the time. I'm guessing she doesn't have a higher than 'normal' normal body temperature, right? Maybe she just has some lingering thing that her body is trying to fight off but it hasn't gotten completely out of her system. Does she say that anything hurts? I would just keep telling myself that 99 doesn't really constitute a fever and is totally normal for some people. Then, call the dr in the morning just to make yourself feel better. But, hopefully she'll wake up cool as a cucumber in the morning! 
  • I'm sorry she's sick.  I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but here ya go anyway...

~*~*~*~Healthy Abby Dust~*~*~*~*~ 

Let us know how the dr visit goes.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageerincutts:
    I'm guessing she doesn't have a higher than 'normal' normal body temperature, right?

I admit to taking my kids temps way more often than I should. Her normal temp is 98.2 ish. Emily's normal temp is 98.8

• Well, I don't know if this helps but DD has had a low grade fever of around 99/100 but no higher for about ten days on and off.  And the runny nose thing.  But no other symptoms.  If our trip to DCC a few weeks about (with 105 fever) is any indication, there are some weird viruses going around right now that seem to be eluding all medical professionals as to what they really are.  Our pedi wasn't concerned and just said it's probably some random virus that just acts this way - low grade fever on and off, nasal congestion, etc.

She's fine!!! I know it sucks to not know what's wrong though. Hugs!

• Oh no!  Her pee was a little darker than usual, but nothing crazy.  She actually ate pretty good today- which is to say about 1/4 of what Kate packs away, but a little more than she usually eats.  :)  She even tried some chicken.  

I am sure that is is nothing more than a teeny virus, but keep me posted.  Sending good thoughts your way.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a 10am with Chang. I didn't want to go to sick clinic and get anyone else!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"