Infertility

Just got the bill for my lap exploratory and HSG

$14,691.40.  Indifferent

WTF?  Supposedly my portion is almost $900, yeeeeeeeeeeeeah ok.  I have Tricare Prime and called a few days before to make sure my referral was all set and covered everything.  I was assured by Christina, that all I would have to pay is a $25 copay, which I paid. 

They are in for the fight of their life if they think that I am even going to pay a dime. 

Anyone else remember how much their procedure was?  Oh and I am assuming that there are more bills coming from the dr.  This was just from the hospital. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just got the bill for my lap exploratory and HSG

• I know that feeling well!  I have been fighting with my insurance company over my surgery and medical bills... I was diagnosed with Endo so they assume it was pre-existing... pre-existing had any of the other 10 ob/gyn's cared enough to look into my complaints instead of printing me off paperwork on "how to deal with menstruation!"  My insurance company is not getting away with anything though as I have contacted my state's Insurance Commissioner already.  We are working together on getting the "pre-approved" surgery paid and the claims thaT go with it!  Just stay on top of the insurance as they are trained to "dodge" payment by coming up with all kinds of things they "need."  I found that my previous doctors never received requests for info from them so just follow up on everything they say they are doing.  Get names, write down all calls (date/time/who you spoke with)... document everything!  I absolutely refuse to pay the $40k in bills when they approved the surgery beforehand... I plan to pay my deductible and that is it!  Also, most medical facilities understand the battle with the insurance and I update all parties included on a weekly basis.  They haven't even sent any bills to me since they know we are working on the claims being re-processed.  Communication is a lifesaver for us gals!  We need every penny we have to be able to conceive!!!  Good luck, stay persistent!!
    Me- 30
    DH- 28
    Actively charting and TTC since September 2010 although not using BC since May 2007
    Laporatomy March 8th,2011
    Stage IV Endometreosis officially diagnosed
    Removal of right ovary and partial left ovary
    Lupron Therapy began April 2011 and will continue for 6 months
    IVF to follow the Lupron therapy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My laser lap was closer to $30K.  I owe my deductible on it, but that's it, because my endo causes other health problems unrelated to fertility.  If it were for fertility purposes only, my insurance wouldn't pay anything.  :-(
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Loading the player...
  • My HSG was around 5k... DH's biopsy...28k..ugh thank god for insurance.
    ttc since 10-09 first visit with RE 09-10 ME-everything ok DH- AZOOSPERMIA...biopsy confirmed Sertoli Only Cell syndrome Donor IUI#4 was the charm (8-27-11) with 125iuFollistim/Ovidrel/Endometrin/PIO/vit D beta #1 9/8/11....BFP!!! : ) @ 47.7 beta...#2 9/15/11... 1,998 beta#3 9/22/2011- 27,900 Baby's hb seen @6w2d ! 1-3-2012 20 wk u/s everything lookin' good! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • O M G.. Thank goodness for insurance. 
    imageimage. image 

|| 4 years TTC, 2 M/Cs image 4 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF || 

|| DIA brought us our beautiful daughter || 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With insurance and an ectopic PG dx, I will pay $0 for my lap in June. Previously for an IF Dx only, an exploratory lap w/ 50% IF coverage would have cost me my out of pocket max, which is $1,500.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My lap with endo excisions and biopsy was around 15K for the hospital part. Then I was billed by the pathology place, the PA, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist separately. I am about to hit my out of pocket max this year because of it. I have a PPO, so sharing the cost up to a certain max limit (in my case 2K) is par for the course. My insurance would not have covered this if it were for IF only-- only because I likely had endo did this even happen for me.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• My lap/hysteroscopy was 18K. Haven't gotten our portion yet, but it should be less than 1K thanks to insurance.
  • I don't remember how much my procedure was, but when I had it done, I did have Tricare. Did your EOB explain why there was an unpaid portion of your bill? One thing that Tricare is great about, is approving a surgery, but not approving the location it is going to be performed at. That has happened to us with Tricare twice!  Our doctor would be a network provider, but he performed surgeries at an Out of network hospital. In fact this happened with our IVF cycle with our new insurance also. Our RE is network, but the ER/ET's are done at an out of network location.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"