Breastfeeding

4 mnths or 6 for solids?

Pedi said we could start rice cereal at 4 months.  I waited a few weeks after the appointment to try it, but dd really has no interest.  What age did/will you start solids and why?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: 4 mnths or 6 for solids?

• bancbevbancbev member
    I started at 6 months and completely skipped rice cereal.  I waited because she wasn't ready.  I skipped rice cereal because it's the equivalent of wonder bread.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am waiting as long as possible because I don't want peanutbutter poo in my cloth diapers.  But, I will probably start when she gets overly interested into wanting the food we have and I will start with what is recommended for her age.  Really no set time, do what is best for your baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ncbellencbelle member

6 months and we also skipped cereal.  We skipped purees as well and went straight to finger foods.

Rice cereal in particular has pretty much zero nutritional value and tastes like paper so I didn't see any need to give it.  6 months is the recommendation of pretty much every breastfeeding expert including the AAP committee on breastfeeding.

• We also skipped rice cereal and started other solids at six months. The pedi cleared us at four months because the kid was ready, but I was in no rush to deal with solids poop.
  • I wouldn't start any earlier than 6 mos and I'd skip cereal. We didn't do cereal this last time and didn't even start till 8 mos.
    Jennifer, wife, CPST, birth Doula, LPN to BSN student, and 3x VBAC mama to AJ (8, Evan (7), Ilana (5),Olivia (2), and 8/24/12!
  • We started with bananas around 5 months with pedi's approval. We then added oatmeal, avocado, and peas over the next few weeks. We decided to do solids because she was showing a lot of interest in our food (trying to steal food off our plates!) and was showing other signs of physical readiness (sitting with support, bringing objects to mouth).
  • I also skipped cereal and just now started solids (DS is 7 months old).  He still doesn't seem all that interested.  He takes a few bites and gets bored with it.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just started at almost 6 months. I think it's most important to watch for signs of readiness. Nora started watching us intently when we were eating, trying to grab our food, etc., and recently started sitting up unsupported, so we went for it. Started with avocado and have recently thrown some whole grain rice cereal into the mix. If your LO doesn't seem interested, try again in a few weeks.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started at 5 months and a week. She did not like cereal or purees so we are doing Baby Led Solids (also called baby led weaning) where we give table food.

Here's a great blog:

https://baby-led-solids.blogspot.com/p/faqs-about-bls-baby-led-solids.html

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • LO is a chow hound and unlike most of the PP, we started right at 4 mos and she loved it. At 5 mos she wouldn't let us feed her-she wanted to do it herself. The pedi recommended rice cereal only for training purposes, but I throw it into the mix every once in a while because she does like it.  She likes avocado, bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, and green beans. She hates applesauce and loves peas and pears. We started because she was holding her head up, could sit in her chair, wanted to eat what we were eating, and when we tried, she didn't spit it back out.
  • We started a week shy of 6 months. We skipped cereal and purees. We are using the BLW approach.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"