Eco-Friendly Family

X-post - rash help please!

DS has a gnarly diaper rash. He has spots that almost look burned. The skin is definitely raw and in the worst spots actually open (so an actual wound). Around the worst spots his skin is peeling. It's really weird. What the heck do I do? I've tried Burt's Bees, A&D, Butt Paste, and Aquafore. It seems silly to take him to the pedi but I might if it's not better soon. He is in disposables right now. His diapers don't smell like ammonia at all. Any idea what could be going on? We've been using the same detergent with no problems. We use it on all our clothes. It obviously hurts him because he keeps crying and pointing to his bottom. Sad

Re: X-post - rash help please!

• For an open wound, I definitely don't think it's silly to call the pedi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ds has gotten a couple rashes that looked like super nasty blisters/burn that opened up. he got it from sitting in spaghetti poop for too long :-(

the only thing i could get to help it was to alternate between desitin max and balmex at each change.  it was horribly painful for him :-(  

i don't think it's silly to call the pedi given all the different creams you've tried.   how long has he had this?  if it's been more than a day or two and it's not looking better i'd definitely call.

ds's slowly got better w/the balmex/desitin combo which is why i didn't call for his.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • He got it yesterday morning so he's had it for under 2 days. However, it looks a little worse now than it did before. He pooped yesterday and I didn't know it. However, it was a totally solid poop and he was completely fine after that. It was 1 or 2 changes later that I noticed it.

I also gave him a baking soda bath tonight.

• Quinn had a really similar (sounding) rash a few months ago.  I'm still not sure what caused it exactly.  He had what looked like water blister/wart-like sores that I think were from friction of the wet diapers (nighttime diapers) rubbing on him.  We were using BG pockets at night.  Once there is an irritated spot, it seems to go down hill - like sometimes he'll scratch, and when his nails are sharp, he'll get a sore - low down on his belly (under the diaper) or on the outer edge of his butt cheek... I don't know.  It gets yucky pretty fast. 

I still kind of thing it was a combination of an open sore and acid foods that he was eating a lot of... 

I did take him to the pedi - she thought it was from the heat/sweating - told us to use cornstarch, which dried out his skin so much he started peeling everywhere.  I put him in disposables for several weeks, using cal baby diaper cream a few times a day and it cleared up.  Stripped the diapers - no problems in more than two months... 

It's frustrating, though.  And hard to see them uncomfortable.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"