Stay at Home Moms

How do you deal with stuff like this?

My sister in laws kids destroy something EVERY time they are here....so poorly behaved. My husband blames our kids, it's so not our kids, it's his way of skirting around how horrible they are for fear I won't want them over again.

So they've broken this time a brand new Cranium Conga game...never played. It's not the stupid game, it's the fact it happens every time. From a brand new chaise in the living room to lawn chairs, a tent...I could go on.

Should I say something to my husband who refuses to put any blame on the little brats? Or should I just expect it?

It's such a crappy spot to be in.

Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: How do you deal with stuff like this?

• Why in the world would your DH blame his own kids over his sister's children? Very odd.

I would say something to your husband and I would also say something to your SIL the next time it happens.  

• Good luck with that.  Happens to me also.  One time they broke my oldest fish tank and convinced him not to tell me because he would get in trouble.  I don't even want to tell you what that mess looked like when I finally found it.  Dried up fish and all. 

The only thing that saved me was H knows who does it, and is not afraid to say something to his sister about it.  So, yea, I just jacked your thread, and didn't help you at all.  Sorry.  I feel your pain though.

image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Loading the player...
  • IMHO, your house = your rules.  That means if a certain someone won't tell her kids no, then its up to you to do so.

Its sucky, yes, but allowing your things to get ruined isn't really a good option, either, and its only going to cause further resentment if you don't head it off.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My cousins did this when we were kids.  We just used to hide everything we really cared about. 

FWIW, they are very nice adults now.  They treat people with respect, and two of them are in med school.  It is hard not to think of them as the brats that would rip off all of the barbie heads though.   

• It's also his house.... and he's fine with replacing stuff. So no real ground to argue there.

I'm just going to invite them over way less and less. I've promised all the kids a back to school party but I've already decided it's in the back yard period.

Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I wouldn't tolerate that, not even for a second. 

But, I will pretty much always say something if I'm being bothered.  My SIL doesn't control her 4 (yes, FOUR) kids, ever.  So if we are at a restaurant and they are being bratty, I'm the one that says "Hey, knock it off over there".  I'm sure other people probably think I'm being a biitch about it, but I really don't care.  I value my own sanity very much, and screaming bratty kids that don't listen to rules = doesn't happen around me.  If they broke something of mine? Repeatedly?  Hell no.  They wouldn't be welcome back in my house.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageThe_Jen626:

I wouldn't tolerate that, not even for a second. 

But, I will pretty much always say something if I'm being bothered.  My SIL doesn't control her 4 (yes, FOUR) kids, ever.  So if we are at a restaurant and they are being bratty, I'm the one that says "Hey, knock it off over there".  I'm sure other people probably think I'm being a biitch about it, but I really don't care.  I value my own sanity very much, and screaming bratty kids that don't listen to rules = doesn't happen around me.  If they broke something of mine? Repeatedly?  Hell no.  They wouldn't be welcome back in my house.

This. Doesn't matter whose children they are either. I definitely see a problem with your DH blaming his own kids for it.

• I completely agree with the 'my house, my rules' attitude. Something getting broken once when kids come over, no big deal, it happens. Something getting broken/ruined every time they come over, you need to have a discussion with those parents. And if they don't want to parent their kids, then you need to teach them some rules when they come over.

If this ever happens with one of my kids I would probably feel so guilty I'd offer to pay for whatever, and apologize a lot. I would feel horrible. (I'm lurking here, don't have kids yet, but will be a SAHM soon!)

• My SIL lives states away.  After suffering through several family holidays at her house with her kids while DH and I were dating, I silently vowed she would never be invited to our house. 

Amazingly, I was willing to brave having her kids here this year with MIL (no SIL) and they were perfectly behaved.  Apparently they are only brats w SIL because they know they can be. 

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"