Multiples

Tired of the "You're so tiny" comments

Almost once a day some one says to me "You're small to be having twins. They are going to be so tiny" this really bugs me because I am not that small. I'm 5'4" and at 35 weeks I weigh 200 lbs. I eat as much and as healthy as I can and at my last ultrasound 2 weeks ago they estimated the girls weight 3.7 and 4.6. Do you get these types of comments?  How should i respond?

Re: Tired of the "You're so tiny" comments

• I get this all the time too! I just brush it off...but it does bug the hell out of me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • I was the same way. I am 5'3" and weighed 202 when the girls were born at 37 weeks. I got the tiny comments all the time. My girls were 6.2 and 5.7 at birth. I just told them thanks and rolled with the punches. You are going to get so many more comments after they are here. I just smile and go on my merry way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got comments all the time. I was 160 before pregnancy. I gained 24 1/2 lbs total and delivered at 37 weeks 4 days scheduled csection 6lbs 11oz and 5lb babies.

Everyone would say you can't be having 2, or they are going to be tiny or Id hear from people at work that this person thinks theres something wrong with one of the babies.

I just always smiled and would say well I guess after I have  them you will never know I had 2!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i get them, but i dont let them bother me, i think often its people trying to be nice (although i haven't gotten the "they are going to be so tiny").  i know im right on track with the weight gain recommended by dr luke, i think it has to do with how you carry them as well.
  • I was still getting these comments up until 30 weeks... I finally told the place I was working at that I was PG with twins at around 26 or so weeks and they were astounded, would never have guessed I was PG let alone with twins! I was also over 200 at that point (gained 50 total) and was always a little offended that my stomach sticking out way past my boobs (before getting pregnant my stomach was usually flatter than my boobs) was just an indication that I was overweight I guess!

My babies were pretty small though, 4 and 5 lbs, but I sure felt every single inch and every single pound up until the end!

Also, the comments don't stop when the babies arrive... you've probably seen all the previous threads/posts about all the baby comments you'll start receiving out in public SMH

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yup I get that all the time which is weird because I feel huge! My dr. said my babies are measuring just fine (a little small, but just by a day or two) and my fundal height is still measuring quite a few weeks ahead. Even when i was in the hospital 2 weeks ago for PTL the nurses said "wow you're not that big being pregnant with twins!" Grrrr.....
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • bsmeadbsmead member

[People say that to me too.... "tiny" has never been an adjective to describe me so what I think they are REALLY saying to me is "gosh you dont look like as big of a whale as I thought you would be"

So maybe they are just trying to be nice... instead of saying "holy crapola lady you HUGE! 

• This irritated me too.  I guess I felt like it was some insinuation that I wasn't taking care of my babies properly.  I just responded that my doctor was happy with my weight and that my babies were growing on schedule.

And PPs are right.  It doesn't stop here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got that when I was pg too...people have no idea what they are talking about.  I think some people think 2 babies + double the weight and it doesn't.  I gained 35lbs and went 38wks 2d...my girls were on the small side (5lb 12oz and 4lbs 11oz) but they were completely heathly. 

PP is right, it doesn't stop there, be prepared to have everyone feel the need to tell you how to raise your kids and what they think you are doing wrong...IF and being a Mom as taught me to never judge and if you do, just keep it to yourself because everyone has to do what works for them and their family!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • when i was pg with my singleton I always got "are you sure it's not twins? you are so big!"... he was 7lb 4oz at 36w - so yes, he was big... but not THAT big.

With the twins I got a lot of "are you sure there are two? you don't look that big!"....and my boys were approx 15lb total at 38w - i just carried differently and only gained in my belly that time.

people will say dumb stuff forever- just get used to it.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • MrsLntMrsLnt member

imageKstacks:
    Almost once a day some one says to me "You're small to be having twins. They are going to be so tiny" this really bugs me because I am not that small. I'm 5'4" and at 35 weeks I weigh 200 lbs. I eat as much and as healthy as I can and at my last ultrasound 2 weeks ago they estimated the girls weight 3.7 and 4.6. Do you get these types of comments?  How should i respond?

I was 210 when I delivered at 37w 1d and am 5'4. I got lots of "oh you don't look like you're having twins."  I just said "thank you".  I took it as a compliment like, "hey, you're not a giant fata$$".

• I'm 18wks and have gained almost 20lbs, today I got from our admin "where's the bump", really! A very good friend said alot of it depends on what I wear, if I wear tight clothes you can see it but if I wear something loose I look fat. With my son I gained over 40lbs and he was 8lbs 5 oz.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • UGH, I HATE this comment!! I've gained over 50 pounds, and I'm measuring 50 cm at only 30 weeks. It makes my pain feel diminished when they say I look tiny! Especially when they they say how tiny the babies are, etc, when I know they're measuring right where they need to be.

I do agree that if I were to start hearing, "OMG, you're HUGE!" I'd probably start to worry that I was just looking fat, though... I think when you talk about size/weight, there's just no winning!!!

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have heard of that comment before, I usually think I do lol. I don't say nothing but "ok". Now I feel like my stomach grew over night, so no one can tell me anything and if they do, I would just think how big is my stomach suppose to look for twins.
  • I get this comment too!  

the comment that bugs me is "I was that big with only one."  I want to say "I serioulsy doubt it.  You were probably this big at 8 or 9 or 10 months but i doublt you were as big as me at 6 or 7"  and how they forget that I knew them when they were preggers and they were not as big as I am."

I don't usually respond. I think people just want to make some kind of comment no matter how off base they are.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got so tired ot the "you're so tiny" comments.... I started to just act as if I was pg w/a singleton.  I sometimes didn't volunteer that it was twins, so I could avoid the whole 'twin' discussion with total strangers. 
    TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • So glad I am not the only one! I get this all the time! "You're so small to be having twins!" UGH! Sometimes I want to scream. I am getting tired of defending myself.

When I was this far with my singleton I was NOT this big. People seem to forget really quick. Now I just smile and nod. I guess it's better than them saying I'm huge. People never seem to say nice things. How about, "You look cute or you look nice" Why is that so hard??

Geez!

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Would you rather have people say "Are you SURE they got your due date right?"  (because I looked so big).  I grew straight out, and I looked like I was going to tip over at the end.  I got so sick of everyone telling me how big I looked. 
    Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm getting that all the time too.  Shoot - the receptinist at my OB office just told me that today.  The way I look at it - both babies are a healthy weight - so everything must be going ok.  I normally just ignore the comments though.
  • I was getting them up until about a week ago.  That's when people started saying, "Wow, not much longer!"  and "Any day now!"  I usually just smile, but if I feel like talking I'll say that I actually have at least a month to go, there are just two of them.  Then people tell me that I'm tiny to be having twins.  Hmm

FWIW, I'm 6' and weigh almost 200 lbs. right now, at 33 weeks.

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"