October 2011 Moms

Mom is pissed!!! Gave her fake baby names

I love my mom, but I know here very well.  She's very judgmental but will never admit it.  I know my mom will hate the name I picked out for a possible baby girl, and the name my husband picked for a possible baby boy.  I knew once told her, I would have to hear for the next 21 weeks about all the other names we could've picked.  

My name is uncommon, and VERY specific to the part of time I was born.  Everyone knows exactly when I was born when they hear it.  I HATED my name growing up and when I asked my mom why they bestowed it on me, she stated "I was put under for the delivery and when I woke up, you dad had named you".   I used to wonder  "Uh, you couldn't contest this?"  Anyhoo...she had her chance to name 3 kids and she didn't.   My DH and I agreed to give out the fake names Simba (girl) or Stewie (boy) because we don't want to reveal the real name until the baby is here.  If they ask why,  they are our favorite cartoon characters.   

So, this weekend she asked if I had any names picked out and I told her the fake ones.  The look on her face was of sheer horror!!!   She proceeded to ask about using my grandmother's legal name and nickname.  My grandmother was given a boy's name and hated it.  She changed it at 21 to a nickname she was called.  Then, I proceeded to get texts and phone calls the rest of the weekend with other "suggestions".  I told her she had her chance 30 years ago to fight for these names for her kids and she didn't.  Now, she's pouting.  She went to work today and polled her co-workers about the names and the majority of them actually liked the fake names!  

I'm debating on telling her that the names are fake to calm her down, but I know I will be harassed until the baby gets here.  My husband thinks once she gets over the shock of the fake names, she will leave me alone.  Do you think I should just ride it out?

BTW, the names we picked are pretty traditional.  It took me 18 years to accept my name.  I didn't want my LO to come to me like I did to my mom and ask why she named me such a uncommon name.

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Mom is pissed!!! Gave her fake baby names

• btsrc5btsrc5 member
    That is pretty funny... but I would definitely tell her the names are fake.  You don't want to end up with articles of clothing or blankets with the fake names on them

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

• That is too funny. If it were me I would ride it out. She will get over it soon. And you are right that she had her chance already.
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageecartstan:

I HATED my name growing up and when I asked my mom why they bestowed it on me, she stated "I was put under for the delivery and when I woke up, you dad had named you".   I used to wonder  "Uh, you couldn't contest this?"

Are we related? I think we're sisters because my mom told me THE EXACT SAME THING!!!  I was named after her and when I asked why she said she was out and my father named me. Holy Jumpin'!!

I won't tell my mom my baby names either as she will pick them apart, say "it's okay, but what about _________?" or just say " well that's fine, I'll just call the baby _________."  Ummmm... okay.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • We are not telling what our name choices are but we willl tell the initials

L for a girl and probably C for a boy. It has been enough that people back of the whole what are you naming your baby. we have told the middle names as they are family names, Regina for a girl and Robert for a boy.

You might try just giving her part of them and see if that helps. 

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • I'm lucky in that regard.  She thinks items with your name on them are tacky.  She won't buy them.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagewelcometowonderland:
    imageecartstan:

I HATED my name growing up and when I asked my mom why they bestowed it on me, she stated "I was put under for the delivery and when I woke up, you dad had named you".   I used to wonder  "Uh, you couldn't contest this?"

Are we related? I think we're sisters because my mom told me THE EXACT SAME THING!!!  I was named after her and when I asked why she said she was out and my father named me. Holy Jumpin'!!

I won't tell my mom my baby names either as she will pick them apart, say "it's okay, but what about _________?" or just say " well that's fine, I'll just call the baby _________."  Ummmm... okay.

She said the same thing to my brother and sister, but they ended up with traditional names.  You would think after me, you would have worked out the names BEFORE she went under!   

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I personally think that it's awful that you gave fake names to the future grandmother of this LO.  Why couldn't you have said "We haven't decided on anything yet" or "We've decided to keep our names a secret in case we change our minds"?  A lot of people say that they have to wait to see the baby to fully decide on a name.   

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
  • I think it's funny :) If she's really got her panties twisted about it days later cut her some slack and tell her they're not real.  Otherwise don't bring it up because I bet she won't!

We're not telling anyone- even our families- our name choices either.  Too many chefs in the kitchen spoils the soup! 

• so freaking funny.... just wait it out... you dont want her spoiling your happiness for the names you acctually chose....
  • If YOUR name is Annabelle, I must say i think it's a very pretty name! If i was going to have a daughter, that is what we planned on calling her. I just think this name is so timeless and beautiful.

As for telling your mother if the names are fake or not...i would go ahead and let her know they are...once she gets over the shock, she will be just fine and hopefully get the hint!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Poor mom and poor you!  I have seen the faces people make when they don't like the name but my mom knows better than to say anything to me about it.  I could tell my MIL didn't like the name we picked but oh well.  So you may want to tell her that they're fake because you and your DH would like to keep it a secret until the baby gets here, and tel her you know how funny she is about names but to remember that this is DH's baby too and it's up to the two of you to decide.  It's not like she'll love the LO any less! Good luck!
  • So....what IS your name???  You've got me curious!!

Expecting a bootiful baby Girl this Halloween
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This seems like an awful lot of trouble to avoid telling her something she's going to find out eventually.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha! I don't know if you should tell her they are fake, maybe just tell her that you are still considering options. We don't want to tell our families for the same reasons as you, so we just added to the list and mention the choices that are towards the bottom. This way we aren't totally lying but they also aren't able to criticize for the rest of the pregnancy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemybb:

If YOUR name is Annabelle, I must say i think it's a very pretty name! If i was going to have a daughter, that is what we planned on calling her. I just think this name is so timeless and beautiful.

I was going to say this.  I'm naming my daughter Annabelle and I really hope she doesn't need 18 years to accept her name!

As for telling your mom a fake name, I think it's hilarious.  But since she's going to be judgmental no matter what, I'd probably just tell her the real names and let her get over the judgment now rather than deal with it later after the baby is born.

J & S~ 06.20.09
    TTC #1 since 10/09
    Hypothyroidism 3/10
    Cycle 17- Surprise BFP! 1/21/11
    When God closes the door, somewhere He opens a window...
  • I don't get giving her fake names?  I mean, you have to deal with her reaction either way - so why tell her fake ones that are odd to guarantee her freakout? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageJanimal:
    I don't get giving her fake names?  I mean, you have to deal with her reaction either way - so why tell her fake ones that are odd to guarantee her freakout? 

She won't have a chance to change the name if the birth certificate is already signed.  She just has to accept it.  If she sees her chance to change it she will try.  If she can't she won't.   

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagemybb:

If YOUR name is Annabelle, I must say i think it's a very pretty name! If i was going to have a daughter, that is what we planned on calling her. I just think this name is so timeless and beautiful.

As for telling your mother if the names are fake or not...i would go ahead and let her know they are...once she gets over the shock, she will be just fine and hopefully get the hint!

My name isn't Annabelle.  That's a nickname my grandmother came up with when I was younger because she didn't like my given name.  

I'll give you a hint about my name:  I share my name with a popular actress in the 1970's that was known for her beauty.  I wasn't name after her specifically, but that was the only way the nurse at the hospital knew how to spell it.

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"