June 2011 Moms
Options

discouraged

i am terrified of needles and really, really do not want an IV during labor.  no problem according to my midwives, unless i test GBS+.  i have no reason to think that i would test positive, other than that a certain percentage of people do.  nevertheless, i've spent my entire pregnancy worrying about this stupid test, and i've spent the past three weeks taking probiotics and garlic pills and eating yogurt.  and even did four nights of garlic clove up the birth canal (gross!) in preparation for my 36 week appointment today. 

but i guess you can't plan for everything, because last week i came down with a sinus infection and had to start taking amoxicillin.  because i'm still on the antibiotics (which worked wonders for the sinus infection, btw), today midwife refused to do the GBS test "because you'll just test negative."  so now i have to wait until 37.5 weeks to do the test!!!  and that means another round of prep with that gross garlic!!!  i just wanted to get this over with...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: discouraged

• Options

I'm not afraid of needles, but I hatehatehatehatehate IV's because of the way my veins are positioned. Even with the new flexible cannulas, IV's hurt like hell, so I don't want one either.

I'm like you, though - I'm CONVINCED I'm going to test positive for GBS. I had my swab done last week, and find the results on Thursday.

I didn't even think to try and do prep first. It sucks that you have to do an extra week of it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that not only does your prep work, this LO doesn't decide to show up before you get the results!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • Options

I have no fear of needles so I can't exactly relate but hopefully your GBS test comes back negative so you don't have to worry about it. If it doesn't, I have faith that your nurses have done so many IV's that you won't even feel the needle go in. Just remember to look away and breath though it.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker photo12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Keep your chin up! How do I say this without sounding like a druggie, I had to get over needles a long time ago and although IV's bother me, I know the places I will let them put an IV. (9 surgeries)

Had I not been forced to get over my needle issues Im still not sure I could deal with the garlic! I give you props for that and I hope your test shows Negative!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not to be gross, but semen supposedly has some natural antibiotic properties. Our Bradley instructor said to have sex 2 days before the test and you'd test negative every time. We had 8 couples in our class and we all tested negative......
    D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"