Breastfeeding

Newbie Questions

After your supply was built up did you feed on both sides at every feeding or just one side? Also, how long did your feedings average at one week old? TIA!

Re: Newbie Questions

• I have talked to some of my friends about this and they feed both sides at every feeding. They tend to offer either 15/15 or 10/10/5/5. They say it helps with engourgement. The length of the feedings typically depend on how often you are nursing and how efficient your LO nurses...

Those that use the 10/10/5/5 say that if LO does not take a full feeding, they are at least stimulating both sides if they only make it through 10/10..

Hope that helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I fed on both sides up until a couple weeks ago.  LO started taking about 10-15 mins on each side, but by about 1.5-2 weeks he got more efficient and my milk supply got better and he went to doing 10 mins on the first side and then only about 5 on the other. 

A couple weeks ago, right before he turned 2 months, I switched to only offering one side per feeding becasue I ended up with an over supply issue with my left breast.  So when LO pulls away for a burp, instead of switching sides I just re-offer the same side after he burps.  This has helped a lot with the oversupply issue.  But had I not had that problem, I wouldn't have had a reason to at least offer that second side at each feeding.

BFP #1 2/10/10: No HB on 4/29/10 at 15 wk, D&C 4/30/10, Baby measured 11-12 wks. First Pregnancy and first loss. BFP #2 7/25/10: Blake Daniel arrived 3/25/11 BFP #3 3/9/12: Our Turkey Baby! Due Date: 11/19/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Loading the player...
  • I just did what LO wanted.  At first he would take both sides.  Then for a while he would only take one.  If I started to get full and sore I would pump the other side.  Now he takes both sides again.  I just let him lead and I follow.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bgf1bgf1 member
    Once my supply was good I only feed off of one side.  When I would unlatch him to switch sides getting him to eat off the other side was a battle so I just started feeding off of one side.  By one month I was still nursing 30-45 minutes per session LO didn't really speed up at all until 6-8 weeks.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"