Multiples

What's your worst present you have gotten from you in-laws?

My MIL would give you the shirt off of her back. She is not wealthy at all and has always helped DH when we have struggled. However we received a box in the mail from her (she lives 10 hrs away) It had baby rattles, simple toys, expired baby food, mouse and bug killer, DH's baby blanket, 18-24 month clothing for boys(see siggy, we have 2 girls, and only 2 girls), and some cloth diapers (we use disposable, and she knows this).

Bless her, I know she meant well but I dont even know where to start.... 

Tell me yours?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: What's your worst present you have gotten from you in-laws?

• A poor credit score for my husband since they knowingly took out loans in his name when he was 17 and never re-paid them.

Oh....baby related?  None yet. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok nothing that can top yours.  My friend's mom is JUST like that - she sends broken stuff. 

My MIL has a TOTALLY different style than me and she also didn't have daughters - so I give her a little leeway.  For xmas one year she got me an XL sweater......now....pre pregnancy, I wore a medium.  On occasion, depending on style I would wear a Large.  I never, ever wore an XL!  So I did say something to her later because she asked if I needed the receipt.  I just said, yes, it's the wrong size, I'm not an XL. 

So then Xmas rolls around when I'm pregnant (I was only 16 weeks pregnant at that point) and she gets me a couple maternity sweaters.  Size XL.

Ok, thanks......

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • That's hysterical! 

I really can't think of anything awful I've gotten from the IL's.  I guess the "worst" would be the wind chime I got for Christmas one year.  It was really nice, I just despise the sound of them, which is not something they would have known at the time (and probably don't know even now).  We also tend to do really silly gifts at Christmas, and some could qualify as completely horrible if they weren't jokes and part of a fun white elephant game. 

• My MIL is the same way, she gets me all kinds of flowery random stuff and it is totally NMS.  Oh, and for Christmas two years ago, she got me a total "mom" purse.  I love her to pieces but we have totally different taste!

PS  Leslie, your LO's hats are ADORABLE!

• For Christmas one year my MIL gave me a box of kleenex and a candle with a clearance sticker on the bottom ($1.99).  She even wrapped both of them.  The next year she got me a puzzle entitled "Lost your marbles".    I thought the box of kleenex was some sort of joke, but nope, that is what she gave me for Christmas. 
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagedressmaking.dummy:

PS  Leslie, your LO's hats are ADORABLE!

Thank you! 

• a box of kleenex is hilarious! What could be going through her mind when she picked that out?!

Luckily, I get pretty good gifts from my in laws, but one year, they took a trip to Alaska in the summer and loaded up on cheap souvenirs and gave them all to us at Christmas!  I got some socks with "moose crossing" all over them (DH got wolves) and lots of hats and t-shirts.

• My MIL is completely clueless.

For Christmas one year, she bought DH and I a dust-collector thing called "Snowbabies". They were carrying a canoe. We had bought a canoe earlier that year. We both HATE that kind of sh!t. One look around our house and you could figure it out. DH made fun of her for it. It was ugly and went in a box that eventually got tossed out when we moved last summer.

Oh and she crocheted 2 hideously ugly purpley-rainbow-ish baby sized shawls, yes I said shawls, for the twins. They are hideous. What boy baby wears a rainbow crocheted shawl? Ugh. I don't even know where they ended up ... 

ETA: @Leslie -- love the new siggy pic! Those are great hats!

• bsmeadbsmead member

I love this thread... and have been laughing my butt off reading the responses...

My MIL now gives me money... one year she gave me vaccum sealing bags.... i dont have a vaccum sealer..  :)

• My inlaws are pretty good. It's my crazy aunt who isn't. She sends us all kinds of bizarre things. One year it was a perfume decanter in the shape of a parrot. The next year was a mini grandfather clock with nude paintings on it. My favorite of all time was for my wedding she gave us these candlesticks that are straight out of Liberace's living room. Whenever I get a box from her I cringe majorly. She has no kids, so luckily for us she openly admits she doesn't know what to get the babies, so she gets gift cards. DH and I get the "gifts."
  • smeyersmeyer member
    My MIL bought me a sh!t brown sweatsuit for Christmas 2 years ago.  It was a huge, brown, and very old lady-ish (although I don't think anyone would/should purchase a brown sweatsuit, regardless of age ;-P ).  My MIL and I are not close.  I'm not sure if she thought I'd like a brown sweatsuit or if there was some backhanded intent.  It was hilariously bizarre, IMO.   

• My MIL has given me a few of her books from a series she really likes.  They have graphic murders - totally not something I enjoy reading about.  After the 1st one, she asked if I liked it and I told her that I didn't finish it because it's hard for me to read about things like that.  A few weeks ago, she gave me another - I'm pretty sure it was the same one she originally gave me! : /
    ~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • A white bread-maker that A:doesn't match my kitchen (steel and black) B: doesn't fit in my cubboards and C: doesn't bake the bread correctly Indifferent

I don't bake bread... so I don't know why it was a 'good' choice but I wasn't alone in that matter... SIL got one too Stick out tongue

• MIL just bought us a $300 wooden garbage can. Yes, a garbage can. Biggest waste of $300 I've ever seen.
  • MrsLntMrsLnt member
    imageblondek8:

My MIL is completely clueless.

For Christmas one year, she bought DH and I a dust-collector thing called "Snowbabies". They were carrying a canoe. We had bought a canoe earlier that year. We both HATE that kind of sh!t. One look around our house and you could figure it out. DH made fun of her for it. It was ugly and went in a box that eventually got tossed out when we moved last summer.

Oh and she crocheted 2 hideously ugly purpley-rainbow-ish baby sized shawls, yes I said shawls, for the twins. They are hideous. What boy baby wears a rainbow crocheted shawl? Ugh. I don't even know where they ended up ... 

Those snowbaby things are terrifying.  I hate crap like that but I find those to be disturbing.  Same with precious moments figurines.  *shudder*

A friend of MIL crocheted these...things.  They are like loopy bolero jackets with matching hats and booties.  Out of rainbow ombre yarn.  They are so strange and look like something that would be worn with sequined hotpants in a gay pride parade.  Writing a thank you note for that was beyond challenging. 

• Onesies for the babies that say "born in 2011". They were born in 2010.
    TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Last year for the 4th of July, my MIL and her friends bought the tacky flag shirts from Kohls for their husbands.  When one guy tried them on they realized they were women's shirts... so she decided that the tacky XL flag shirt should be worn by me on this occassion.  I'm glad I don't care to look beautiful  out on the lake.  : /

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Edited for double post...
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My IL are awesome. They get the best stuff ever.

My parents on the other hand?? Wow. My dad continues to send me (yes, me, not my child) those really silly looking stuffed animals you'd get from a claw game at the store. My mom sends those annoying phrase pillows/signs for the house (the ones that say something akin to "now you know what I went through as a mother" I can't honestly remember any specifics right now, I think I block them from memory!........ etc etc)... she sends clothes that I wouldn't wear in a million years. Ugh. We've started just asking them for gift cards for holidays with the excuse that everyone saves on shipping that way as we live cross-country and then we can get what we want instead. 

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My MIL is very cheap - has tons of money but won't even use her heat in the winter or A/C in the summer because she doesn't want to spend the money.  She never gives gift receipts for anything.  And she likes to regift us old crap all the time.  So I never know what gifts are really from a store and what's from her basement.  But she's taken items from her basement that are clearly from the 70's, based on the box, and wrapped them up for us for Christmas.  It's disgusting!  This past Christmas she wrapped up and gave my girls some cookie plate for Santa that was from when my DH was young.  I told my DH that I don't care if she offers us something from when he's young, but ask us if we're interested in it, rather than wrapping it up and pretending it's a new gift.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsLnt:
    imageblondek8:

My MIL is completely clueless.

Those snowbaby things are terrifying.  I hate crap like that but I find those to be disturbing.  Same with precious moments figurines.  *shudder*

A friend of MIL crocheted these...things.  They are like loopy bolero jackets with matching hats and booties.  Out of rainbow ombre yarn.  They are so strange and look like something that would be worn with sequined hotpants in a gay pride parade.  Writing a thank you note for that was beyond challenging. 

Any of that figurine-y type dust-collecting crap is well.. most especially precious moments -- gag.

I should try to dig out their crocheted shawls and take a picture for you. We can compare the ugly.

• imageblondek8:
    For Christmas one year, she bought DH and I a dust-collector thing called "Snowbabies".
    At least your Snowbabies have faces!  My MIL bought us the Willow Tree twin figurines.  The creep me the f out.  She loves stuff like that, and I know she was just being thoughtful, but THEY HAVE NO FACES!!!  ::shudder:: 

• Wow, that's a weird one!

This wasn't a bad gift, just an odd situation - ILs gave us a very nice crock pot for Christmas a couple of years ago, but we already have one.  After the gift-opening was done, DH mentioned to his dad that we really appreciated the gift, but that we already had a crock pot, could we exchange it for something else?  ILs wouldn't tell us where they bought it, and insisted that we keep it, because we would need two of them.  Really?  I think perhaps we were re-gifted. Smile

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageHaven1:

imageblondek8:
    For Christmas one year, she bought DH and I a dust-collector thing called "Snowbabies".
    At least your Snowbabies have faces!  My MIL bought us the Willow Tree twin figurines.  The creep me the f out.  She loves stuff like that, and I know she was just being thoughtful, but THEY HAVE NO FACES!!!  ::shudder:: 

My  friend has these and they creep me the eff out too....she thinks I'M weird.....

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You figurine-phobes are seriously funny and have made my day!!  My MIL gave ME ( not DH) a framed church photo of herself for Christmas~ I was...let's just say...speechless?
    Mom of Riley-13, Libby Jaye-11, Maguire-8, Callum & Maggie-7mo Photobucket
  • imageamanda31H:
    imageHaven1:

imageblondek8:

My  friend has these and they creep me the eff out too....she thinks I'M weird.....

My MIL got these for me too!

• MrsLntMrsLnt member
    imageHaven1:

imageblondek8:

The one with its hands on its mouth is all 'OH SH!T MAN, YOUR FACE IS GONE!" and the other one is all "WHA?  I CAN'T SEE YOU!"

Those are seriously freaky.  

• imageHaven1:

imageblondek8:

Tongue Tied

Ahhhhhh!!  Good god those are terrifying!  *shudder* Creepy no-faced babies! They remind me of a dream I had at the beginning of my pg -- my kids had no faces!

• MrsLntMrsLnt member
    Duplicate post.  Stupid bump won't let me delete.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"