March 2011 Moms

Speaking of going back to work...

I go back next week full time, and could use some encouraging stories!  Those of you who have gone back, how did it go and was it easier than you thought?  I'm especially worried because I EBF and even though DS seems to take bottles ok, I am worried about having to pump and him needing to take bottles all day long...Please tell me your story and at least make it sound like everything went smooth!  LOL  =)

Re: Speaking of going back to work...

• This is my 3rd week back at work. It hasn't been that bad for me but that's partly because 1) I'm a teacher and there are only a few weeks left until summer vacation, and 2) my parents and DH's parents are all taking turns watching DS until school gets out for summer, so we won't need to put DS in day care until school starts back up in the fall.

I was worried about pumping at work too, but it's been fine. I've been able to pump pretty much exactly as much as DS needs each day... sometimes more. He's taking the bottles fine even though he prefers the boob.

GL! For me the first day was hardest. It does get easier!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was not as bad as I built it up to be!!  I cried the whole week prior to going back to work, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought.  It's still not what I want to do, but we're hanging in there.  Here's a tip:  sleep with the blanket you will send with your baby to daycare/babysitter.  It will smell like you and bring comfort to you LO.  I did this and they said he really liked when they held the blanket close to his face (not when he's sleeping, of course.)  Good Luck, you'll get through it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • mrsgailmrsgail member
    It's not been nearly as bad as I anticipated it to be.  Yes, life is more hectic than before but we are adjusting quite nicely.  LO seems to do great, I think she needed to spend more time in a new atmosphere.  I am also pumping at work and that was a big worry for me but that is going great as well.  I am in a position where I generally wouldn't take the time for a break but now I have to and it's nice to go sit down and close my eyes for 15 min and think about LO.  My biggest suggestion is to buy lots of bottles and do everything you can the night before.  I was only using about one bottle a day before going back to work so I wasn't aware how much time I would spend cleaning and making bottles.  Now I have enough sets for 3-4 days so I just run them through the dishwasher every few days rather than every  night.  My daycare likes for mom's to call and check so I tend to.  The first week I did a lot and now I just do every few days.  DH and I were joking tonight that it's nice to rarely clean poo diapers since she generally has her big blowouts during the day.  You will do great and so will your LO! Take lots of pictures with you.  Your first day you will spend showing LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Today was my first day back, and it went really well.  Luke did great at daycare, and I felt OK with him being there.  It's not the ideal situation; I wish I could take care of him all day, but it is what it is, so I decided it's best to have a positive attitude about it.  If he senses I'm upset about it, he's not going to be as happy there.  Plus, I got a huge smile when I went to pick him up!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I may sound like a terrible mommy but I actually like being back. It's the only 8 hours of me time I get and when you have a reflux baby you need a break! It gives me a chance to miss him :) pumping is going great. Just try to pump when LO would normally eat. Kellymom.com has great resources and tips for bf'ing and going back to work. Looking at pics and videos of LO on my phone helps with let down and reading The leaky b@@b's wall on facebook is entertaining :)
  • I forgot to add that Jule stays home with his dad most of the time and is at my friend's house otherwise and that really helps cause I harass them constantly with check up calls :D
  • Today was my first day back and LO did great at daycare.  I was pleasantly surprised.  She took all of her bottles.  I was worried because sometimes we can't get her to take one at home, but the teachers there must know what they're doing!  She took short naps and was pretty tired when we got home.  Fell asleep by 8:30 without much fussing.  We'll see what tonight brings!

Pumping is easy for me because I work from home.  I feel like people give me the side eye when I say I work from home and my LO is in daycare, but I have a real 9-5 job with conference calls and deadlines and people depending on me.  It makes it pretty easy on me though.  I can literally pump while I'm working (hands free set up!), and do laundry, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You'll be fine!  

I just went back full time last week.  I EBF and my co-workers set up my pumping room with pillows, blankets and lots of pictures of DD that they printed from my fb page which was really nice.  

It's actually kinda nice to be back in the swing of work and talking with other adults. Plus being away makes me appreciate the time I have with them when I get home.

Good luck 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like everyone else said, it's nowhere near as bad as you're expecting it to be.  It does take a little work and organization to get the milk or formula ready, making sure you've got everything packed etc, but it will eventully become routine. 

Now with 2 I look forward to the days I work (I'm part-time).  It's nice to have that break and get away for a little while, even if it is work!

• imageJanaVT9183:
    Today was my first day back, and it went really well.  Luke did great at daycare, and I felt OK with him being there.  It's not the ideal situation; I wish I could take care of him all day, but it is what it is, so I decided it's best to have a positive attitude about it.  If he senses I'm upset about it, he's not going to be as happy there.  Plus, I got a huge smile when I went to pick him up!

This is what will make it worthwhile!!  =)  Thanks for all the tips everyone- I will try the blanket tip mentioned too!

• I'm also going back next week...I've done 2 trial runs at daycare and she does really well there. I feel a nervous gross feeling when I first drive away...and then it gets better. She eats,naps and sleeps in their arms. I'm glad to see they are holding her so much and not letting her cry. I have a hard time not doing that:) I don't get another adult with a pair of arms when I shower or try to eat!

I'm scared about pumping. I worry that my body won't produce for a pump like it would for my baby. I'm going to print some pics of her to put in my pumping bag and I've been trying deep breathing at home.

we'll get through it! I am also so nervous about working again. thankfully I'm going parttime and will be out of work by 3:30! woohoo

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"