April 2011 Moms

Pumping Q and Not Eating Q

1)I want to give DS one bottle a day or two so that I know he can take one if needed. I have a double medela breast pump that a friend lent to me, but I have no idea what to do! When do I pump? Right after a feeding? Or do I wait longer so there is more milk to pump? If I wait, how do I know there will be enough for DS at his next feed? I'm so confused about this pumping business..

2)Also, the last week or so DS has been having a hard time nursing on my right side. I think it's from forceful let down because he will latch on for a minute or two then pull away and he will let milk spill everywhere, then he will cry, latch back on for a suckle or two, then pull off and his mouthful of milk will go everywhere. This will basically go on until I stop the feeding, or go in the bath with him to feed him.

Well today,  I put him on my left side to feed, which is usually very successful, but he started acting the same way as he does on the right, without the milk everywhere part, so it wasn't forceful let down. What could be causing him to not eat? He hasn't had a full feed all day, just a few little ones...

I'm getting so frustrated that I'm on the verge of tears bc I don't know what to do. I try different positions.. leaning back, elevated football so he is sitting, even laying down with him on top of me to try and get gravity to help out (for the right side)... but he is still angry at the boob!  Any advice? I'm starting to feel like a crummy mom bc I can't get my baby to eat happily...

Also! His night time feeds are just fine.. no issues.. so is it really forceful letdown if it isn't happening at night?
Sorry for the long post :(

Re: Pumping Q and Not Eating Q

• 1) I find the best time to pump is right after I feed DD in the morning. I usually have a ton of milk first thing in the morning. I can feed her and then pump 8oz in like 5 minutes.

You should probably pump when you give your LO the bottle (or right before or right after if you can't multi-task). This will keep your body's milk production on your LO's feeding schedule.

2) I might suspect acid reflux. Fussiness on the breast is a symptom. If issues on the left side do not continue I'd say it's overactive letdown. My supply gets smaller (and my let down becomes less forceful) as the day goes on.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 1. Pump after the first feeding of the morning and after the last before bed. You can pump for 5-10 minutes longer than when your milk stops to try to get more. I was always afraid to pump because I was afraid that LO would want more and I wouldn't have any for him. But LO can get what the pump can't so don't worry about that.

2, I'm not familiar with a forceful letdown, but agree with PP, maybe reflux. Do you have an LC you can contact?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"