Parenting after a Loss

Do I ever need to wake DD to eat anymore?

For the last week she has been sleeping in 4 hour stretches at night, and only waking twice to eat. Last night it was 5 hours. Is that too long? I'm ashamed to admit I woke her up when I realized it had been 5 hours. After I changed her diaper she acted like she was starving and started frantically sucking her fingers and vigorously rooting while I was getting ready to feed her. Then I felt bad that she was so hungry. Is there a certain period of time where I should wake her to eat at night if she doesn't wake on her own?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do I ever need to wake DD to eat anymore?

• IMO, I would say no. You have some babies that STTN at this age.

• My DD started to STTN at 8 weeks. I think they just need to be above their birth weight when you don't need to wake them anymore
  • Loading the player...
  • Scout05Scout05 member

I won't wake this baby for all the money in the world. I figure if she's hungry, she'll tell me.

But she also hit her birth weight and then some by her one-week appointment, and is now five pounds over it. So clearly, Cami getting fed is not an issue.

As long as little miss is gaining okay, I say let her sleep.

• imageScout05:

I won't wake this baby for all the money in the world. I figure if she's hungry, she'll tell me.

But she also hit her birth weight and then some by her one-week appointment, and is now five pounds over it. So clearly, Cami getting fed is not an issue.

As long as little miss is gaining okay, I say let her sleep.

LOL. Good to know! Gaby hit her birth weight the first week too, and is now 4 1/2 lbs over. Guess I'll just let her sleep then. I really need to stop being so nervous about everything. If she keeps this up, I guess it's time to transition to the crib. Sad

• imageBigSar1:
    My DD started to STTN at 8 weeks. I think they just need to be above their birth weight when you don't need to wake them anymore
    Yep! This!
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Our pedi said once she reached her birth weight don't wake her. Enjoy the sleep.
  • Thanks ladies!
  • I agree with the PPs!  I never woke DS to eat.  I figured if he was hungry he would tell me. :)  I still go by that rule and try to let him eat on demand.
  • Nope!! : ) DS was sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at your LO's age. He's a great sleeper, and he does act like he is RAVENOUS when he wakes up. Not all the time, but sometimes. I think every time they go up a little in time they act really hungry, but they get used to it.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"