Breastfeeding

When should I start to pump?

When should i start to pump? People are telling me that if i pump to early that it will slow my supply...then others tell me the complete oppisite. Just wondering what other ladys who have more experience think.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When should I start to pump?

• I have no idea why pumping early would slow your supply. If you have a baby who doesn't latch at first, they tell you to pump to get your milk to come in. I wouldn't give a bottle until nursing is well-established (probably 2-4 weeks), but you can pump after feedings to help get your supply up and start building a stash. You shouldn't HAVE to unless you have low supply issues, but the only reason I know of not to pump at first is if you're dealing with oversupply.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my LC said 3 weeks if i want tyo start building a stash.
  • Loading the player...
  • HelsHels member

I guess it really depends on why you are pumping...

If you are pumping b/c your milk hasn't come in, your LO doesn't latch yet, or you want to increase your supply.... happy pumping from the get go!

Like PP said, the only reason to not pump is to avoid an over supply problem. If you BF and then pump lots extra, your body will think you need all that extra milk. Sounds like a good deal, right? WRONG! Oversupply is hell. My poor LO gulps down way too quickly, chokes, and pukes it all back. Oy..  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"