December 2011 Moms

Advice please!! Re Surgery while pregnant...

So my doctor found a cyst in my ovary (she thinks - she is sending me for an MRI to make sure that it is in my ovary and not in some other organ) that is the size of a tennis ball apparently.  She is saying that if it is in the ovary she wants to do surgery ASAP (as soon prior to 20 weeks as possible) to take it out. 

I am wondering if anyone else has ever gone through this or knows someone else that has been through this and what the outcome was??  I am really concerned about the impact on the baby of me having surgery while pregnant...  The dr said if I didn't have the surgery now then she would have to deliver the baby at 28 weeks and deal with the cyst then which I realize is way too risky but I am worried about miscarrying after having surgery! 

Any advice would be gladly appreciated!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Advice please!! Re Surgery while pregnant...

• My SIL had one of that size but she had it removed when she wasn't pregnant.  Apparently they can rupture when they get that big and cause you to loose your ovary.  If your doc hasn't mentioned this, I believe the reason why she wants to do it ASAP is because she wants to stay as far away from your uterus as possible.  I read that it can be drained instead of removed but that would cause it to come back later.  Maybe if the risks involved are greatly decreased by draining it you could do that now and then have the surgery after the baby is born.  IMO, if the miscarriage rate is somewhat low, I would rather have the surgery now than have a baby deliverd at 28 weeks.  Preterm babies can have a great deal of problems.  I have read many stories on the internet of people who had the surgery while they were pregnant and their pregnancy stayed healthy.  I also read that a rupture of an ovarian cyst while pregnant can cause miscarriage or preterm labor as well.

GL with whatever you decide!

? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your doctor's advice, I'm sure, is what's best for you and baby.  Lots of luck with this!  Try not to stress...there's nothing you can change about the situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • In this case it might not hurt to get a second opinion? But in the end I would go with your doctor's advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"