Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Transitioning from bed sharing?

DD has slept in bed with us since day one. My husband is pretty much ready for her to be in her crib now though. Although I've always hated the idea of bed sharing & I never intended to do it, I've become really attached to having DD next to me all night. So I'm not totally sure I'm ready to transition her.

But my question is, how do you know its time to actually move the from your bed to the crib? Is it a specific age or cues from LO that they're ready (if so, what are they?)? I'm totally clueless about this! Thanks so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Transitioning from bed sharing?

• I think the best thing to do is just try it out. We quit bed sharing from week 6 to week 12, then DD got sick. We start every night out with her in her crib. If she wakes anytime after 2am I bring her back to our bed (DH gets up at 3am for work), if she wakes up before that I put her back in her crib- she usually wakes up again around 3 if I do that.

ETA: I was going to start keeping her in her bed all night, but realized we'll be bed sharing the entire time we are in England (15 days) and I don't want to have to start over, so after we get back from England I'll start trying to get her in her bed all night. She'll be 6 months then. I have to admit I'm in no hurry, I like having her next to me in the mornings.  

Peanut BFP 9.18.2009 EDD 5.23.2010 m/c 10.16.2010
    DD#1 BFP 4.28.2010 EDD 1.10.2011 born 12.27.2010
    DS BFP 8.29.2012 EDD 5.11.2013 born sleeping @ 17 weeks 12.1.2012
    DD#2 BFP 5.7.2013 EDD 1.11.2014 born 1.10.2014
    Jelly Bean BFP 2.25.2015 EDD 11.7.2015

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Ticker 
  • We do pretty much the same as PP.  We start him out every night in his own bed but if he wakes up then he comes into bed with us.  He used to STTN but when that went out the window, we started bed sharing so we could all get some sleep.  We share a room with him now so it really isnt much different.  We are moving in a couple months and he will have his own room so we will work on it then.  Hopefully by then he will get back to STTN.  I can only hope........
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We used to bedshare with DS snuggled in the crook of my arm (he wouldn't sleep alone). About 3 weeks ago he started seeming uncomfortable so I tried his crib again and he went just fine. We still co-sleep (we have a bed in his room) but I'm thinking of stopping that too in the next few weeks. Hopefully that will go smoothly since he's staying in the same place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies! We're just now getting the hang of naps in the crib (30 mins on the dot & she wakes up for some reason). Once we have that down a little better I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet & start bed time in there. Thanks so much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We also start DS in the crib... no matter how hard it is to get him to nap more than 30 mins in his swing, for some reason he manages a couple of hours in the crib at the start of the night. I think it is because he is dark, and he is used to going back to sleep on his own in the dark (well there are a couple of night lights...)

I do like him in bed... but it is getting harder for me to get any rest between when he comes to bed and when DH goes to work. Then when DH gets up J is awake for a while, so we end up going back to bed together for a long morning nap. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • I don't believe that there are any real ques or a time frame, I suggest that you just start now putting LO in the crib and see what happens.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"