Baby Names

Bradyn for a girl (and other unusual B names)

While doing a little research for the Blakely post below, I found myself in the B section of the "Beyond the Top 1,000 List," and was fascinated. Down toward the bottom of the list, it is an odd mixture of bureaucratic artifacts (Babygirl, Bg), rare names (Bryony, Brigitta, Benedicta), typos (Brookyln ? I hope), unique spellings (Brynlei, Baileigh), and smooshes (Bellamae, Bobbijo). Here are some names given to exactly five baby girls in 2010:

Baelynn

Bentlei

Betzabel

Birkley

Blakeleigh

Bracelynn

Bradee

Bradlie

Bradyn

Braidy

Brandice

Breeonna

Brentlee

Brianalee

Brilei

Brooksley

Brycelynn

Bryndle

Brynlyn

Butterfly

Byntlee

Re: Bradyn for a girl (and other unusual B names)

• MY EYES! Oh those are nasty nasty nasty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Betzabel? Butterfly? Tongue Tied
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • tct1219tct1219 member
    WTF is Betzabel?! and eww to the whole list.
  • Maybe I should do a running feature on the 5x names. The Cs are as bad as the Bs (Chadsity, Canada, Cherity, etc.).
  • imagetct1219:
    WTF is Betzabel?! and eww to the whole list.

LOL! And agreed, they are all Ick!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• Some of those are atrocious, but how is Brooklyn a typo when that's how the city is spelled? That's where the name came from. Brooklynn is the misspelling.

ETA: They're both variations of Brooke, but Brooklyn is the name of the city and most commonly thought of source of the name. Brooklynn is just a smoosh of Brooke and Lynn. I far prefer the one-N spelling.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Yikes! Berkley is a GP name for me, but I don't like the birkley spelling.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:

Some of those are atrocious, but how is Brooklyn a typo when that's how the city is spelled? That's where the name came from. Brooklynn is the misspelling.

ETA: They're both variations of Brooke, but Brooklyn is the name of the city and most commonly thought of source of the name. Brooklynn is just a smoosh of Brooke and Lynn. I far prefer the one-N spelling.

It took me a second to get it too, but if you look close at the OP the "y" is before the "L".

I was having the same thought as you.

• imagelaurynfaerie:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Some of those are atrocious, but how is Brooklyn a typo when that's how the city is spelled? That's where the name came from. Brooklynn is the misspelling.

It took me a second to get it too, but if you look close at the OP the "y" is before the "L".

Yeah, not Brooklyn. Brookyln.

• imagelaurynfaerie:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Ohhhhhhhh!! Stick out tongue

Duh, Brooke. Duh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • jlhook0jlhook0 member
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Your eyes are misleading you. The name on the list is Brookyln. The y is before the l. This name would be pronounced something like "Brook- ee- ln". Hopefully, this was just a misspelling on the parent's part, and they got it fixed!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sadly, if I had to pick one of those names it would probably be Butterfly! At least then you can get the crazy hippy pass.

I once started going through the list of names beyond the top 1000, focusing on those given to under 100 kids and was picking out the hidden gems (for me) that weren't alternate spellings of more popular names. Maybe I should actually compile it.

Our second and third choices for DD were both on that list.

imageimage

• That list just gave me a headeache.
  • imageQuizzle:

Sadly, if I had to pick one of those names it would probably be Butterfly! At least then you can get the crazy hippy pass.

I once started going through the list of names beyond the top 1000, focusing on those given to under 100 kids and was picking out the hidden gems (for me) that weren't alternate spellings of more popular names. Maybe I should actually compile it.

Yes, please share! The pickings are slim in the under-100, but the names there are sometimes gems. If you can look past Emyli and Elexys, you can find Eudora and Eurydice.

• imageplunderb:
    imageQuizzle:

Sadly, if I had to pick one of those names it would probably be Butterfly! At least then you can get the crazy hippy pass.

Yes, please share! The pickings are slim in the under-100, but the names there are sometimes gems. If you can look past Emyli and Elexys, you can find Eudora and Eurydice.

I'll need to go through it all again, but maybe it will be my project for tonight

From memory, a few of them were: Katharina (our #2 choice and technically an alternate spelling), Tamsin and Lora. Our third choice was Viola, just above the under-100 group.

imageimage

• imageQuizzle:
    imageplunderb:
    imageQuizzle:

I'll need to go through it all again, but maybe it will be my project for tonight

From memory, a few of them were: Katharina (our #2 choice and technically an alternate spelling), Tamsin and Lora. Our third choice was Viola, just above the under-100 group.

Love Tamsin!

• Allie30Allie30 member
    Actually, I'm kinda digging Betzabel. It's like a punk rock Isabel.
  • Ugg those are all so bad!!

I have a cousin who named their kid Butterfly....  

• Wow, just wow. I'd pay to be one of the five named, Butterfly because at least people could spell the damn thing.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • imageQuizzle:

Yeah, at least then people could spell it. I was looking at this list trying to find my favorite and I just failed miserably. They're all terrible.

• Bryndle? Nothing like being named after a dog hair color/pattern (brindle).

I wonder if Byntlee was supposed to be a variation of Bentley? I picture some redneck with a heavy southern accent pronouncing the two the same (like BEEN-tly).

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"