December 2011 Moms

Silly Question...

What's this NT Scan I keep hearing about?  It seems like most people are getting it at their 12 week appt. and I'm wondering if I should be asking for one this Friday when I go in for mine...?  I'm sure once someone tells me what it is it will be painfully obvious to me Embarrassed  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Silly Question...

• QmommyQmommy member

Here's a link to the information you're requesting.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_nuchal-translucency-screening_118.bc

It basically is an u/s and blood test that gives you an idea of your baby's risk of having a disability such as down syndrome.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • And if insurance doesn't cover it...it is VERY expensive. I never had one with any of my pregnancies.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I hadn't heard of it until I saw it popping up on the boards too.   My OB never mentioned it to me...just the blood testing for it, which I believe they're going to do at my next appt. next month.

~*Kimberly*~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • From what I understand-ob's generally only recommend it for "advanced maternal age" mamas, or other reasons the baby may have a risk for genetic issues. I'm an old lady-apparently-and I've had one with every pregnancy. I do-because my ob says its a good idea-and to see if there is anything I need to know about beforehand to prepare for. A heart issue, etc.  

For some reason it took us forever and a day to get and stay pregnant. Cancelled IVF, failed IUI's and a marriage in crisis sandwiched within two years. Now, we've been blessed with two girls and a Christmas Baby is on the way. Not planned but perfect. www.ApronStrings.typepad.com
  • Thanks for asking. I was wondering too!
  • Thanks ladies!  I'm scheduled to have an ultrasound for my next appt., but I specifically said at our first appointment that I didn't want any extra testing done for genetic abnormalities, downs syndrome or anything else we literally would have no control over changing.  That's probably why my midwife never even mentioned it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"