October 2011 Moms

Love how people assume

On my lunch break I went to pick up some cake decorating supplies for my cousin's graduation cake that I am starting on tonight. I had to get vodka because I use it to paint different colors onto the cake so I had to stop by the liquor store. So I am standing in the checkout line with a noticeable baby bump and a cheap bottle of vodka in my hand. Of course all the retired old women were in the store giving me the stink eye along with everyone else. That was the most awkward lunch break ever lol.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Love how people assume

• This happened to me two weeks ago. My best friend from high school had a birthday cookout, so my SO and I wanted to bring a bottle of vodka for her because she loves cranberry/vodka cocktails. I decided to run into the liqour store, and I got the dirtiest looks from everyone in the store. 

Oh well! Let them assume! I just laughed it off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a treat to my hubby I stopped and bought him his favorite mix pack of beer. If I didn't have a friend with me I think the cashier would have told me off right there are then! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was getting so werid looks drinking Becks NA at parties over the weekend. Oh well.
  • My friend loves wine so I wanted to get her a nice bottle for her birthday.  I was looking at different bottles and the people who work in the store were giving me the nastiest looks and not one of them would approach me.   I finally went up to someone and said, "I am getting a bottle for a friend as a birthday present.  I don't drink white,  what's good?"  I said it loud enough for other people to hear me and all of the sudden I was getting all kinds of help.  
  • Yes, I was bringing a bottle of wine with me to work last week and people were giving me looks on the bus, so I said, "yeah and I am going to drink it on the job, too!"  They all looked away very fast!

• I work at a grocery store and actually just had a chat with a co-worker about whether or not we were allowed to sell alcohol to someone who was pregnant. Because in some/most cases I would assume they were buying for someone else, which is, of course, illegal.

I probably would let DH buy the alcohol if we ever needed it (like for cooking and all that).

• ... guess how I felt buying a CASE of wine this week?  I'm in charge of gifts for colleagues who are not returning to our building at the end of the school year, and we usually do a bottle of wine.  Well, this year with the budget and all, 12 PEOPLE are leaving... I was some sight with a cart of wine and my belly.
  • imagebrokensmyl:

I work at a grocery store and actually just had a chat with a co-worker about whether or not we were allowed to sell alcohol to someone who was pregnant. Because in some/most cases I would assume they were buying for someone else, which is, of course, illegal.

I probably would let DH buy the alcohol if we ever needed it (like for cooking and all that).

wait wait wait - it is illegal to buy alcohol for someone else? what about gifts? I cant go to the store and buy beer for my husband at home? I am glad they dont enforce that law. 

• imagerkto:
    imagebrokensmyl:

I work at a grocery store and actually just had a chat with a co-worker about whether or not we were allowed to sell alcohol to someone who was pregnant. Because in some/most cases I would assume they were buying for someone else, which is, of course, illegal.

wait wait wait - it is illegal to buy alcohol for someone else? what about gifts? I cant go to the store and buy beer for my husband at home? I am glad they dont enforce that law. 

I'm pretty sure it's only illegal to buy alcohol for minors. When I go to San Diego, I stop by Stone brewery and get my husbands growlers filled. Whenever I tell them it is for my husband they just look at me and say what a great wife I am lol!

I do know that when several people are together at a store, they will card everyone who they see putting money into the purchase, but again that is to check for someone who is buying for a minor.

• imagebabybuckley:
    imagerkto:
    imagebrokensmyl:

I'm pretty sure it's only illegal to buy alcohol for minors. When I go to San Diego, I stop by Stone brewery and get my husbands growlers filled. Whenever I tell them it is for my husband they just look at me and say what a great wife I am lol!

I do know that when several people are together at a store, they will card everyone who they see putting money into the purchase, but again that is to check for someone who is buying for a minor.

Yes that is strange that you can't buy alcohol as a gift for someone else? I can't bring a bottle of wine to a housewarming party for someone?  I have never heard of that! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • StephKStephK member
    imagebabybuckley:
    imagerkto:
    imagebrokensmyl:

Obviously the bolded is true, but I have to agree that I really don't think it's illegal to buy alcohol for anyone else.  As we can see from this thread, it is common to buy a bottle of wine as a gift or for a party.  Have you ever had anyone ask you who is drinking what you're buying?  Think about it logically for a second.  I mean, what a way to encourage alcoholism, if it were really a law on the books.  "You buy it, you must drink it!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"