Toddlers: 24 Months+

NTR: vent about union workers

We have our gas company here today to replace a gas line. Four guys from the gas company (and a police detail) got here at 8:30 this morning at which time I thought they would start working. Well a little while goes by and I go out to ask them when they're going to start digging since I work from home and had to plan my day around them. Anyway one of the guys tells me they can't start until a supervisor shows up. The supervisor didn't show up until 10:30 and then they start to dig a hole. They work until 12:30 which must be there lunch time and all work is stopped. It's 2:30 now and no more work has been completed and all the guys are just sitting in there van, all of their equipment is all over the street and there is a big hole with a pile of dirt next to it blocking the road.

Are you kidding me?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NTR: vent about union workers

• That is just bad work ethic. Nothing to do with unions.  My DH is union.  He busts his a$s at his job. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with the pp.  My DH works for our local gas/water company and works his butt off ALL DAY LONG.  He is in the union as well.  What you are describing has nothing to do with being in a union.  My DH works when it is 10 below zero and when it is 110 degrees outside.  If it weren't for his union all those guys and gals would be working in those kinds of conditions for minimum wage...with no benefits. 

Also, sometimes machines break down or they have to wait for a bore rig...etc.  There could be a good reason for why work isn't getting done. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Riley ~ 08/18/2008 natural m/c 9/7/07 missed m/c 8/1/11 d&c 8/18/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Um yeah, be careful here.  My DH is also a Union Master plumber who works on natural gas lines and does not work like that.  I am sure there is an issue.  I strongly believe in unions, otherwise the "scab" plumbers go in a bid the job less and make $15 for a skilled and dangerous job.  I am sorry it has been a pain though, I totally understand your vent but don't blame the unions!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • shannmshannm member

That sucks.

Yes, (while I understand the previous poster's reactions) this sounds like a classic big city/east coast union experience.  Let's just say that efficiency isn't the biggest priority of many that I have encountered.  Not all, but many.   You should see what kind of hoops I have to jump through to get a light bulb changed at work.  No kidding.  And watch out if you get caught trying to do it yourself!

• Agree it is not a union issue. Also as pp mentioned you may not be privy to all of the specifics. My dh works in a similar field and they have to wait to get the ok from various utility companies before they can begin work. So while you may see it as time wasting it could be the difference between life and death, literally. It would be great if all of those companies could align their services but it is often not that way.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"