High-Risk Pregnancy

Question about Lovenox and Baby Aspirin

I was on baby aspirin from the day of my transfer.  Once I got my BFP I started Lovenox and my Hemo Doctor told me to go off of the baby apsirin so I did.  Then today my RE said stay on all of your meds and I told him I went off the baby aspirin a week ago per my hemo doctors order and he said to go back on it.  Is it normal to be on Lovenox and Baby Aspirin??  Which doctor do I listen to??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about Lovenox and Baby Aspirin

• I'm currently on both. The reason is that Lovenox can't be absorbed into the placenta, while baby aspirin can, so if there is a reason they want to thin the blood in the placenta, the baby aspirin will help with that.
    EDD 9/28/2011, lost our little girl (pre-e/iugr) on 6/13/11 @24w5d
    EDD 3/12/2013, natural miscarriage on 7/18/12 @6w2d
    EDD 8/01/2013, D&C scheduled for 12/31/12 @9w4d
  • Just noticed you have a clotting disorder. I have one too, just a different one (APS). I would ask your Hemo Doctor why he doesn't want you to take the aspirin, because it seems pretty common to take it to prevent clots in the placenta.
    EDD 9/28/2011, lost our little girl (pre-e/iugr) on 6/13/11 @24w5d
    EDD 3/12/2013, natural miscarriage on 7/18/12 @6w2d
    EDD 8/01/2013, D&C scheduled for 12/31/12 @9w4d
  • Loading the player...
  • CHI-06CHI-06 member

imagenidawi6:
    I would ask your Hemo Doctor why he doesn't want you to take the aspirin, because it seems pretty common to take it to prevent clots in the placenta.

ditto

I am on both per my RE and OB too... my hemo knew that and didn't say anything to me.  Like pp said the baby aspirin gets through to the placenta and the lovenox does not.  Ask your hemo for more info why....

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • I stayed on the BA as well while taking the Lovenox shots.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My hemo put me on baby aspirin for the rest of my life and I have been taking it my entire pregnancy along with Lovenox as I have a history of a clot.

I was told by a peri that should I have any bleeding I would need to stop the aspirin as that can actually cause more bleeding issues than Lovenox but thankfully I haven't had any bleeding with this pregnancy.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I have APS and am a pharmacist- so I reviewed all the data, since there are conflicting reports....but generally, you stay on aspirin until late in the 3rd trimester...the debate is on whether Lovenox is beneficial the entire pregnancy or not and in addition to the aspirin or not...

I am personally on both, and started lovenox as soon as I had a BFP, the plan is to continue both until we schedule delivery. I would get clarification from your hematologist why he told you to stop- officially, aspirin,  should not be used in pregnancy, so sometimes people follow that guideline, regardless of our specific needs. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"